• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I don’t like the +J bomber, the + J patch behind the collar at the back is hideous (well it can be cut though), and the overall quality of this take on a MA-1 Isn’t better (not as good tbh) than the UU one they released a couple of years ago, that I own and find much better. And it cost half the price.
The +J version shines just more. :-D

Phrost

Reaction score
I actually own the UU bomber from a few years back and agree it’s well made and warm.

But it fits very much like traditional bomber jackets, meaning it’s poofy in the sleeves and cropped in the body. I actually don’t wear it as much because that cropped poofy cut isn’t very flattering on me.

I like the +J bomber as it’s a more modern take on the jacket. The body is a regular length, not cropped, which I think makes it work for more body types.

I agree that the +J outer shell material is a bit more shinier/thinner and overall isn’t as nice as the old UU one, but it’s not bad. The +J one is lighter, down filled in the body, has those unique ribbed cuffs and has 6 pockets total, which is always nice to have. I do wish it had a metal zipper though.

Also, I feel like the +J one is more versatile as a 2-3 season jacket, while the old UU one is pretty much a cold winter-only type of jacket.

I actually recommend getting the +J bomber in your regular size. It fits slightly oversized, but I think the slightly slouchy fit looks better on a bomber jacket. I’m not really a fan of the slim fitted bomber jacket.

Last edited:

worakl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll get like my 10th Airism tee in that lavender colour, for sure, but other than that it's just all so... brown...

Was it two years ago the spring collection had that intense red for some items? I want more of that, hit me with some accents.

Phrost

Reaction score
Spring/summer is generally pretty boring compared to fall/winter, but UU stuff is extra stale this time around.

They’ve had interesting spring stuff in the past, like unique looking knits and OG-107 Vietnam era jungle shirt jackets. The only thing that looks interesting to me this time are the baker pants modeled after the OG-107 fatigue pants.

I highly recommend the +J oversized down parka. It’s about 20F/-7C in NYC today and this parka has kept me nice and cozy.

I’m surprised it’s still in stock. It’s pretty damn nice on sale for $100. If you’re in the US, sign up for emails to get the $10 off $75 coupon and use Retailmenot to earn cash back. I ended up paying like $84 for mine this way.

The parka is a bit oversized so I would size down one or check the size chart. You pay shipping for online returns and can’t return in store anymore.

cafedandy2

Reaction score
There's still some gems in the U collection every season, although if you've followed it from the start, can't help but feel a bit bored with so many repetitive items that just change colors - to more brown. The buttons just got so cheaper on the shirts, that even if everything is great with the cut and stitch... the buttons are just bad. I didn't get much pieces from FW21, spent my budget on a few +J pieces, some of the U past season stuff... and just saving most of them to buy mainline Lemaire pieces. U Women's pieces always seem to evolve more, such that in Japan, so many men buy the womens pieces to the dismay of the ladies, haha.

Phrost

Reaction score
There's still some gems in the U collection every season, although if you've followed it from the start, can't help but feel a bit bored with so many repetitive items that just change colors - to more brown. The buttons just got so cheaper on the shirts, that even if everything is great with the cut and stitch... the buttons are just bad. I didn't get much pieces from FW21, spent my budget on a few +J pieces, some of the U past season stuff... and just saving most of them to buy mainline Lemaire pieces. U Women's pieces always seem to evolve more, such that in Japan, so many men buy the womens pieces to the dismay of the ladies, haha.
Curious, what +J stuff did you end up buying this season? I thought the +J collection this time around was underrated, especially the down outerwear on sale.

I agree about there being a few standout gems in the UU collection each season. Did you check out the elastic waisted wide fit military styled jogger pants? I bought them on sale in black and gray and think they’re so incredibly underrated. They look like something EG would put out for 5x the price.

Huh I always thought UU shirt buttons looked and felt cheap. I remember in the past +J shirts used real shell buttons and was impressed. I’m not sure about this time around though. I have a feeling the +J collection will go into hibernation again for an undisclosed period of time until Sander feels like doing it again. What a shame.

cafedandy2

Reaction score
Curious, what +J stuff did you end up buying this season? I thought the +J collection this time around was underrated, especially the down outerwear on sale.

I agree about there being a few standout gems in the UU collection each season. Did you check out the elastic waisted wide fit military styled jogger pants? I bought them on sale in black and gray and think they’re so incredibly underrated. They look like something EG would put out for 5x the price.

Huh I always thought UU shirt buttons looked and felt cheap. I remember in the past +J shirts used real shell buttons and was impressed. I’m not sure about this time around though. I have a feeling the +J collection will go into hibernation again for an undisclosed period of time until Sander feels like doing it again. What a shame.
I agree, the +J collection this time is indeed underrated, but good for us who wait for the sale season and a lot of stock are still remaining on the shelves. I actually got a lot: the shirting this season drapes nicely and easy to steam/iron, the buttons as far as I know are still made of shell, although if it's plastic now, at least they chose nice ones than U. The Work Pants has been on my rotation ever since I got it, it somehow has a curved/carrot taper for me when worn even if a little subtle, might get other colors later on as price keeps dropping. The Wool Suit Setup I also got just to update my previous slim fit +J set. I also got a lot of the belts and the Tote Bag - surprisingly a good one, although the only issue is because it's an open tote (security and weather issues) and the leather is hard but good if you want something structured, feels like a book bag for me, which Jil did say that it could be treated like a new kind of briefcase. For some reason, the design is interesting for me.

There's always the small details in the collection, like the slanted seams, shape of sleeves, cut and stitching etc, which I really appreciate Jil putting in her somewhat architectural approach to make it fit the body nicely.

When they said +J's theme "End of Chapter 2", it's pretty ambiguous if it's just relating to the pandemic or the chapter 2 of +J (when Jil returned). I feel like she just updated her best pieces for the past 3 seasons, and then adieu. Very unpredictable.

And yes, the U shirt buttons always suck. The older ones seem better compared to the new ones. The core Uniqlo line buttons look even better this time. I also notice that they use better ones on the U Womens even if it's plastic. Ugh.

As for the U Jogger pants, actually I might get one soon as it stayed on sale for so long, especially that it has those military pocket details - which I agree, something that EG or some expensive Japanese military replica brand would put out (haha). The other pants from U I did get were the Chinos and Flannel pants, the line's staples which never fail.

I do plan to get some pieces for this coming U season, like the knit slip-ons which look close to their 2016 collaboration, the baker pants, then the bags for me are always interesting even if a little plain, then maybe the women's stand collar shirt with the double button (which again, is similar to the current season Lemaire shirting but simplified for U). Let's see what else might be good in actual.

januarytwenty

Reaction score
I agree, the +J collection this time is indeed underrated, but good for us who wait for the sale season and a lot of stock are still remaining on the shelves. I actually got a lot: the shirting this season drapes nicely and easy to steam/iron, the buttons as far as I know are still made of shell, although if it's plastic now, at least they chose nice ones than U. The Work Pants has been on my rotation ever since I got it, it somehow has a curved/carrot taper for me when worn even if a little subtle, might get other colors later on as price keeps dropping. The Wool Suit Setup I also got just to update my previous slim fit +J set. I also got a lot of the belts and the Tote Bag - surprisingly a good one, although the only issue is because it's an open tote (security and weather issues) and the leather is hard but good if you want something structured, feels like a book bag for me, which Jil did say that it could be treated like a new kind of briefcase. For some reason, the design is interesting for me.

There's always the small details in the collection, like the slanted seams, shape of sleeves, cut and stitching etc, which I really appreciate Jil putting in her somewhat architectural approach to make it fit the body nicely.

When they said +J's theme "End of Chapter 2", it's pretty ambiguous if it's just relating to the pandemic or the chapter 2 of +J (when Jil returned). I feel like she just updated her best pieces for the past 3 seasons, and then adieu. Very unpredictable.

And yes, the U shirt buttons always suck. The older ones seem better compared to the new ones. The core Uniqlo line buttons look even better this time. I also notice that they use better ones on the U Womens even if it's plastic. Ugh.

As for the U Jogger pants, actually I might get one soon as it stayed on sale for so long, especially that it has those military pocket details - which I agree, something that EG or some expensive Japanese military replica brand would put out (haha). The other pants from U I did get were the Chinos and Flannel pants, the line's staples which never fail.

I do plan to get some pieces for this coming U season, like the knit slip-ons which look close to their 2016 collaboration, the baker pants, then the bags for me are always interesting even if a little plain, then maybe the women's stand collar shirt with the double button (which again, is similar to the current season Lemaire shirting but simplified for U). Let's see what else might be good in actual.
Definitely gonna get the knit slip ons and the regular fit jeans!

Phrost

Reaction score

I always dismissed +J dress shirts because they usually use back center box pleats rather than double shoulder pleats or no pleats at all. I guess it’s just a visual design quirk I never really liked.

I had my eye on the +J cotton work pants and like the front patch detailing. How do they fit? How’s the rise and hem width? The size chart makes it seem like they’re shorter inseam or cropped?

I liked everything about them but the look of the back pockets, but I guess that’s a work pant for you…

Sigh… I never thought I’d consider buying elastic waist pants in my life. I guess that changes when you get older ?

cafedandy2

Reaction score
I always dismissed +J dress shirts because they usually use back center box pleats rather than double shoulder pleats or no pleats at all. I guess it’s just a visual design quirk I never really liked.

I had my eye on the +J cotton work pants and like the front patch detailing. How do they fit? How’s the rise and hem width? The size chart makes it seem like they’re shorter inseam or cropped?

I liked everything about them but the look of the back pockets, but I guess that’s a work pant for you…

Sigh… I never thought I’d consider buying elastic waist pants in my life. I guess that changes when you get older ?
I guess it really depends on your preference, but maybe nice to try for their value with finer stitching and better buttons for an off the rack shirt.

The +J cotton work pants I had to size down because they're pretty wide and loose for me if TTS. Upon sizing down, it still fits relaxed, similar to how the U jogger pants fit (I got M on the U Jogger pants, then S for the +J Work Pants)

And yes, ditto buying elastic pants as we get older, hahaha! Going more into comfort now :))

Reaction score

Seconded the comment above about the +J work pants. I also size down and they fit perfectly.
For reference, I wear L in almost all Uniqlo U pants, except for the wide fit jogger which I size down as well.

In regard to the shirt buttons, I remember reading from somewhere that they've changed the material. I own a couple of dress shirts from the previous 2 seasons, and the buttons indeed have the iridescent, shell-like look, but I'm not sure if they're shell or resin. Would love to hear more comments on that.

btw first time posting on the forum, hello everyone. Wish you all have a nice day.

Reaction score
Went to store to try out the WM parka and +J bomber in my regular large size, and had some sizing problems with both.

For the parka, the sleeves are more roomy than I thought. I suspect the wind can still go in if you don't tighten the opening with the straps, which I tend not to do. The body is also a bit too long.
For the bomber, body length and width is good. The sleeves, however, are too long. Even when I stretch my arms, the cuffs are able to reach that part when the thumb meets the finder, which I understand should not happen.

cafedandy2

Reaction score
Seconded the comment above about the +J work pants. I also size down and they fit perfectly.
For reference, I wear L in almost all Uniqlo U pants, except for the wide fit jogger which I size down as well.

In regard to the shirt buttons, I remember reading from somewhere that they've changed the material. I own a couple of dress shirts from the previous 2 seasons, and the buttons indeed have the iridescent, shell-like look, but I'm not sure if they're shell or resin. Would love to hear more comments on that.

btw first time posting on the forum, hello everyone. Wish you all have a nice day.
Welcome to the thread @anhtungnguyen143 !

I do hope they still use shell for the shirts at least, the descriptions on +J Women's shirting in the Japanese site indicated the use of shell buttons, but not in the mens, but they seem the same and still look great (again, better over the U buttons, which I still buy nonetheless as the cut is good).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics