• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cafedandy

Reaction score
@cafedandy thanks for everything that you do. Have you by any chance tried the shorts and or the relaxed blazer and can comment on sizing?
No worries! Yes I've tried both, for the relaxed blazer, I reco TTS. For the shorts, TTS is the intended fit with wide fit, although it could be safe to size down if you're on the slim side, the length was also a few cm above my knee. The twill fabric is similar to the jogger pants and feels light to wear.

cafedandy

Reaction score
Just chanced upon some certain article interviews with Lemaire on U (I'm guessing PR but formatted like an interview), but still nice to read about the process and answers to why every season seem to look the same ?

https://www.esquiresg.com/galleries/uniqlo-u-ss21-spring-summer-2021-christophe-lemaire-interview/

“Timeless things beyond street culture”
https://www.gqjapan.jp/fashion/article/20210121-christophe-lemaire-uniqlou-interview (maybe similar to above, Google Translate is decent)

https://www.buro247.my/fashion/insiders/24-minutes-christophe-lemaire-uniqlo-u-ad.html (This one's for 20FW actually but relevant)

Some fit videos from Japanese bloggers for your reference (at least the ones I like, because there are a lot of videos that are repetitive)

This one from Rikki-san, who bought the women's setup

RuffyD

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the place to post this, have a +J denim shirt from 2011 and was wondering if anyone would be interested, Asian sizing XL so fits more like a L

E66FDA5D-2831-447F-A307-52BC5FC97034.jpeg
878A2543-5389-4B7F-9E9F-15F16E3A12BE.jpeg
7F161A93-1788-4FF6-81F6-FC0ED71D73E5.jpeg
some minor fading on the elbows but others still in great condition

NYLON

Reaction score
Just chanced upon some certain article interviews with Lemaire on U (I'm guessing PR but formatted like an interview), but still nice to read about the process and answers to why every season seem to look the same ?

https://www.esquiresg.com/galleries/uniqlo-u-ss21-spring-summer-2021-christophe-lemaire-interview/

“Timeless things beyond street culture”
https://www.gqjapan.jp/fashion/article/20210121-christophe-lemaire-uniqlou-interview (maybe similar to above, Google Translate is decent)

https://www.buro247.my/fashion/insiders/24-minutes-christophe-lemaire-uniqlo-u-ad.html (This one's for 20FW actually but relevant)

Some fit videos from Japanese bloggers for your reference (at least the ones I like, because there are a lot of videos that are repetitive)

This one from Rikki-san, who bought the women's setup

The 2nd vid has him trying the womens relax pants.

NYLON

Reaction score

lol this guy has the swagger

Was in the mood today..
Went and got myself 3pcs: the jogger, boat stripe S/S and Relax fit Wide pants.
No sizing down or up this time and went with regular U TTS for the intended fit.

A couple of items I leave hopefully they stay in excess long enough to go into the sales corner.

JW need to come up fast for that to happen :confused:

loopdeloop

Reaction score
It's hard to be disappointed about clothes when there's an actual **global pandemic** but... it's pretty disappointing. I understand them wanting to go for consistency across the collections but i don't think it's a strategy that works that well at the high street price / quality bracket.

I also don't buy into this 'new normal' aesthetic either, especially when the collection is full of blazers, trench coats, cardigans, button down shirts, smart work pants (all of which we've seen before). I'd certainly be looking for more sporty / relaxed items, more 'utility' focused etc. I know i can't expect a dramatic overhaul of the core U brand but i am a bit confused by how conservative it's all become. You're almost at the stage where you get more innovation and interest from mainline Uniqlo.

Pastamancer

Reaction score
It's hard to be disappointed about clothes when there's an actual **global pandemic** but... it's pretty disappointing. I understand them wanting to go for consistency across the collections but i don't think it's a strategy that works that well at the high street price / quality bracket.

I also don't buy into this 'new normal' aesthetic either, especially when the collection is full of blazers, trench coats, cardigans, button down shirts, smart work pants (all of which we've seen before). I'd certainly be looking for more sporty / relaxed items, more 'utility' focused etc. I know i can't expect a dramatic overhaul of the core U brand but i am a bit confused by how conservative it's all become. You're almost at the stage where you get more innovation and interest from mainline Uniqlo.
I am gravitating toward the laid-back pieces. Will probably pick up the track pants and the boat-neck shirt but that's about it. Maybe it's rose-colored glasses, but I do find some of the earlier seasons to be more interesting. What happened to stuff like the seizure camp-collar shirt? Or even like the weird pleated light-wash jeans they did? Not something I'd personally wear, but at least it was different.

I know this discussion crops up every season now, but it's hard not to feel like U is a big missed opportunity, particularly given the Lemaire pedigree

malcb33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am gravitating toward the laid-back pieces. Will probably pick up the track pants and the boat-neck shirt but that's about it. Maybe it's rose-colored glasses, but I do find some of the earlier seasons to be more interesting. What happened to stuff like the seizure camp-collar shirt? Or even like the weird pleated light-wash jeans they did? Not something I'd personally wear, but at least it was different.

I know this discussion crops up every season now, but it's hard not to feel like U is a big missed opportunity, particularly given the Lemaire pedigree
Unfortunately those items mentioned sat, so I think that’s the answer to your question. Remember we’re talking about Uniqlo here, which has massive minimums.

I agree with you and I would like to see some more interesting men’s stuff, akin to some of the women’s line, but unfortunately sales tell the story...

Last edited:

Pastamancer

Reaction score
Unfortunately those items mention sat, so I think that’s the answer to your question. Remember we’re talking about Uniqlo here, which has massive minimums.

I agree with you and I would like to see some more interesting men’s stuff, akin to some of the women’s line, but unfortunately sales tell the story...
Have they ever formally broken out U sales? It must be pretty successful given how long it's gone on and Fast Retailing's investments in Lemaire, but I would be curious if there's any official numbers

AlaninTally

Reaction score

When I buy from Uniqlo its usually solely U (sometimes a JW Anderson piece and Engineered Garments- please please I hope more comes from EG for Uniqlo!). I think of it more as the elevated basics angle. The oversized airism tshirts are a stellar example. The regular airism tshirts are more safe. I do wish there was more play with texture, color, pattern though. The seasons do start to bleed into each other as this goes on. I look forward to the sweat cardigan and wide shorts.

malcb33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@cafedandy are you wearing the fine gauge boat neck short sleeve sweater in one of your fit pics? If so, what did you think of the texture?

cafedandy

Reaction score
@cafedandy are you wearing the fine gauge boat neck short sleeve sweater in one of your fit pics? If so, what did you think of the texture?
Yes, the peach color, it's thin and has a dry hand due to the cotton-linen-poly-nylon mix - it's still a comfortable and breathable one.

malcb33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, the peach color, it's thin and has a dry hand due to the cotton-linen-poly-nylon mix - it's still a comfortable and breathable one.
Nice, thanks for the feedback! How’s the sizing?

sid11111

Reaction score

I have the seizure camp collar shirt and it is surprisingly versatile.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads