• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cafedandy

Reaction score
I also tried:

Hunting Jacket
While I like the details, I felt it draped too much for what I'm looking for in a jacket. But it is nice for what it is. I wore a size down and still fits nicely.

516436DD-3651-48A0-9297-AE89285D44D3.jpeg

Cotton Linen Blend Stand Collar Shirt
Same fit as the Denim, might consider if it goes on sale. But then again, I don't wear that much linen, but recommended if you. I find that sizing up feel better for this material.

7448334F-831E-4F90-8B7E-C6AE8C37D08C.jpeg

Trucker Jacket
Not much into truckers, but if you like them, they fit TTS with a bit of relaxed fit. Cotton sateen is softer than moleskin material.

73C39935-D35F-4A38-ADCF-6282DDCA0811.jpeg

Linen Cotton Tailored Jacket
Surprisingly nice and smooth for linen, they use a different material for the suit setup. In the classic U style but with a breast pocket, it's a good buy. Didn't buy it as I have not much use for it, but recommended.

7A64713E-33BF-45D5-B675-69DA474A54F8.jpeg

Wide Fit Tapered Linen Cotton Pants
Same material as the jacket, this is quite comfy! Fits the same as past wide fit tapered pants. Will wait for this on sale.

62DA1E4F-D61B-4E2C-83B2-0FFA112CFE97.jpeg

Gurkha Shorts
The details are nice but they can fit quite loose (as it's meant to be). I have the pleated shorts from SS18 and the might be similar in this case. I'm just not sure about the material, I think it's the type that can fade easily.

E3ACE938-6273-4001-9DD7-A388D5EE6020.jpeg

Wide Fit Straight Pants
Even with workwear details, I like the polished feel of these pants with the center crease. Retro vibes with the slight flare at the hem.

017B6FDB-8348-4A8D-92D2-BFF6467E3771.jpeg

Hooded Coat
TTS fits well, not sure if it's indeed waterproof but may be good for light rain.

4A8B9791-DC6E-4286-AEF2-5782E3CB5BBA.jpeg

Tailored Jacket
If you don't have the past season U tailored jackets or want to have a breast pocket on them, this is a nice version this season. Fits the same, and pretty good wool-like material for 100% polyester.

7355CD77-AFF4-4164-B7A3-A8B41C5F761B.jpeg

Ribbed Crew Neck Knit
I also actually like this, it has a slight dry touch feel as well. Might come back for this... Size up is recommended.

2F19CD4C-9295-4F47-8FCB-139E2CE0691D.jpeg

Women U Shirt Jacket
It’s quite a nice jacket, has a unisex style and in a boxy cut. Material was a bit too blouse-like for me but I recommend to try it if you like it.
69A328A6-23A8-4217-B470-CE24C4BA0ECA.jpeg

Last edited:

cafedandy

Reaction score
There may not be a lot of groundbreaking pieces here as with initial U seasons, it may even feel that this season is a rehash of a past season pieces with just small changes and varied material. It may be so at some point, but I believe it's their team doing their best to make things as simple as possible or seek the best version of pieces that can be consistent and work well with one's existing wardrobe yet still allowing a bit of experimentation (which highly depends how one styles it).

In terms of quality, but I can relatively say a lot of pieces are good, but it can really depend on what you're looking for, some pieces will be an improvement, some pieces will be a downgrade. It's always a mixed bag especially considering the price you pay for these. For example, a lot of the shirting keeps improving, such as the broadcloth shirts which used to have this kind of stiff, cheap material, but now they are better at the moment. The bottoms... I'm not so sure about the materials on the work pants, gurkha shorts and the wide-fit pleated pants as they me they are on the thin side that might easily fade, although I do like that they are comfy to wear. But again these are my opinions, you may have a different thought on these.

I still like this season a lot as many pieces here have already worked well for me in the past but now offered in a new version or similar version small improvements. For example, the work/military style pocket shirts that I keep buying every season, even if I have already as they've grown to be staples in my daily life.

Was in conversation with someone I know who saw these and kind of expected that since this is a designer collaboration, it has to be *bam*bam*bam* statement pieces. That may work for some designers and brands like H&M and such, but this is where Uniqlo collaborations and the designers they work with are different, being that they have the Lifewear purpose in mind - which is why Uniqlo kind of keeps releasing the most pieces the same over and over but are still well-loved by many. And if one understands their purpose, I think it would be easy to understand why this season is such, and the succeeding seasons after.

Hence, I believe it's still a pretty good season, for us who've grown with U for the past few years and have developed a consistent style, yet still open for people who are just discovering it now.

Also putting here a photo of Lemaire's article in the brochure as he talks about the U collection. He explains it well here: (click for full image)
132D0118-94E6-4CE4-A627-0FBAABD7B57C.jpeg

Some brochure pics:
247D138B-855B-425E-A52B-BE18F353ECDD.jpeg 6653B6E0-E259-4703-AF12-14E9FBEE1EF4.jpeg 214F4D49-CDAB-4F15-A3F1-7D3684A36904.jpeg 2F8A4E37-55FB-46B6-87FD-45C7982B89FF.jpeg B3D51BE0-6BA7-4D2A-A12B-1B46FDDD84B5.jpeg

dalevy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I stopped by to try on a bunch of stuff. The only material that I really liked was the cotton lyocell pants and the hunting jacket. The drizzler also felt pretty good, tho I can’t remember what material it was. The cotton linen shirts were a little uncomfortable to me but the color on this pink one was nice. If these are around after some other spring drops I might go back and think about it.

DB4D7DD0-6624-45A0-B395-7091CA708E22.jpeg

072F106F-8B8F-4051-A20A-9DE864E2A8FC.jpeg

NO MERCY

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics! Very helpful.

Did anybody happen to check out the milano knit tunic from the women's line?

1582355011102.png

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Tried bunch of stuff today

modal cotton blend open collar shirt -- not worth it
grand dad collar linen shirts -- not worth it
hunting jacket -- material is fine but the pockets are awkward
blocktech trench coat -- horribly stiff , no drape whatsoever
dry touch summer crew neck -- it's alright, airy but a bit abrasive-feeling, might keep as a beater
cotton linen blend suit -- keeping this, very light weight and easy to wear with slip-ons and tshirt

loopdeloop

Reaction score
Two cents on my order which came today:

Wide fit pleated tapered trousers - don't like the material, really shiny and bleh. Backing them.
Modal cotton blend shirt - colour is nice but material very thin (not in a good way). Will (probably) back
Cotton poplin regular collar shirt - it's 'fine', but backing it
Cotton linen wide fit tapered trousers - not sure about the material on these either tbh and i'd probably need to size up anyway (still think it's bizarre some of these pants are called 'wide fit')

So, not a great start then...

hayaoyamaneko

Reaction score
Maybe it would be antithetical, but I wish I could see what Lemaire could do with a slightly higher price point, maybe something like COS/Arket.

There's always a couple of good UU pieces, but everything else always suffers from just looking a little too cheap (i.e. plastic buttons).

Edit:

Did anybody try the wide fit long sleeve sweatshirt? I'm curious, but the semi-boatneck is giving me pause...

malcb33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe it would be antithetical, but I wish I could see what Lemaire could do with a slightly higher price point, maybe something like COS/Arket.

That's what the very first Uniqlo & Lemaire season was. I guess the price point didn't sell the volume they needed.

Symphony

Reaction score
My Wide Fit Straight Pants come in on Wednesday. The only reason I got those above everything else due to the lyocell blend in the material.

I'll probably end up cropping them a bit if I feel cuffs would look awkward, but it's nice to hear that they don't feel bad.

Has anyone tried the U Oversized Airism Tee? We are getting them late in the US.

Do we know when they're coming?

cafedandy

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics! Very helpful.
Did anybody happen to check out the milano knit tunic from the women's line?
Hope it helped! I actually did try it too, can pass for unisex like an oversized boat neck tee. I kinda miss the milano rib materials for men in past seasons.
unnamed.jpg

@cafedandy are those black pants uniqlo u aswell?
Yes, the wide fit tapered pants from FW19. This season is the same fit, just with a drawstring inside.

Has anyone tried the U Oversized Airism Tee? We are getting them late in the US.
I want to try that as well, it's been so popular in Japan. It also has a late release in most parts of Asia.

maybe this is nostalgia at this point but the +J collection was fantastic in comparison
True, those were just really good.

There's always a couple of good UU pieces, but everything else always suffers from just looking a little too cheap (i.e. plastic buttons).

Edit:

Did anybody try the wide fit long sleeve sweatshirt? I'm curious, but the semi-boatneck is giving me pause...
I'm curious with that as well, I wouldn't mind a higher price point like how +J was if it meant really better quality for most items. The Uniqlo and Lemaire season as mentioned by @malcb33, was almost at that level. Really not a fan of the thick plastic buttons from the start; the corozo nut button style that Lemaire's own line uses and applied now in its plastic version might be the only one that looks good.

And I also tried the wide fit long sleeve shirt - the semi-boatneck is nice. I'm not much into sweats but if you are then it might be a good one.

Also tried the Women Parachute pants, felt like a flowy jogger pants if you button the hem, actually nice if you like this style.

unnamed-2.jpg unnamed-1.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads