• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Noob question: I live in a hot state and don’t know much about cold weather. Would a Uniqlo ultra down jacket (or better, an ultra down vest under a lightweight blazer) be sufficient for Boston in February? I don’t like the prospect of buying an expensive jacket I’ll never use again.

Alexidb

Reaction score
Noob question: I live in a hot state and don’t know much about cold weather. Would a Uniqlo ultra down jacket (or better, an ultra down vest under a lightweight blazer) be sufficient for Boston in February? I don’t like the prospect of buying an expensive jacket I’ll never use again.
How long you gonna be in Boston? You wear a large right?

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ha, yeah. I should be there about a week, riding the subway and walking around outside for maybe a half hour max.

Alexidb

Reaction score
PS Boston in February is very variable we’ve had a low of 10 and a high of 73 in the last week.

Phrost

Reaction score
Has Uniqlo ever put out moleskin pants? I think I might‘ve seen it with the UU line, but I remember not really liking the fabric. It felt a bit too thin and cheap feeling.

@cafedandy have you tried on the UU women’s sweatshirt pullover? The one with the oversized slouchy fit and darted shaped sleeves?

I‘m a S in men’s and I ended up ordering it in women’s L. The measurements listed on the site looked about right for me.

Also, do the UU short-sleeve T-shirts run TTS? How do they usually fit?

Last edited:

cafedandy

Reaction score
Has Uniqlo ever put out moleskin pants? I think I might‘ve seen it with the UU line, but I remember not really liking the fabric. It felt a bit too thin and cheap feeling.

@cafedandy have you tried on the UU women’s sweatshirt pullover? The one with the oversized slouchy fit and darted shaped sleeves?

I‘m a S in men’s and I ended up ordering it in women’s L. The measurements listed on the site looked about right for me.

Also, do the UU short-sleeve T-shirts run TTS? How do they usually fit?
Yes, they did release some moleskin pants in 18FW and have the same thoughts. I think they put a wash treatment for that worn feeling which made it so. The trucker jacket for 19FW was also moleskin without the wash treatment, I wish they made pants with that.

I also did try the womens U pullover in XL, fit me alright as I am a M in mens, so I think your size should fit well. :)

U T-shirts for me run TTS, it leans on the relaxed side, but may also depend on your built.

Phrost

Reaction score
Yes, they did release some moleskin pants in 18FW and have the same thoughts. I think they put a wash treatment for that worn feeling which made it so. The trucker jacket for 19FW was also moleskin without the wash treatment, I wish they made pants with that.

I also did try the womens U pullover in XL, fit me alright as I am a M in mens, so I think your size should fit well. :)

U T-shirts for me run TTS, it leans on the relaxed side, but may also depend on your built.
I was surprised the fleece lined trucker jacket was more substantial and nicer in person. It’s definitely going to keep you warm and a steal for $20 on sale.

I remember seeing women’s UU wool knits made in Japan for FW16. Do you know anything about that? I wonder if the quality was any better on those. I don’t think I’ve seen that since. I still love and wear the Supima cotton knitted sweaters from that season.

cafedandy

Reaction score
I was surprised the fleece lined trucker jacket was more substantial and nicer in person. It’s definitely going to keep you warm and a steal for $20 on sale.

I remember seeing women’s UU wool knits made in Japan for FW16. Do you know anything about that? I wonder if the quality was any better on those. I don’t think I’ve seen that since. I still love and wear the Supima cotton knitted sweaters from that season.
Yes they also had the made in Japan knits for some of the womens wool items that season. Can't say much about the quality but it did seem well-made, also quite rare to see made in Japan items this time. That season was actually pretty nice when I look back at it, a lot of the knits and pants are actually good, and my favorite work jacket, too.

Phrost

Reaction score
Yes they also had the made in Japan knits for some of the womens wool items that season. Can't say much about the quality but it did seem well-made, also quite rare to see made in Japan items this time. That season was actually pretty nice when I look back at it, a lot of the knits and pants are actually good, and my favorite work jacket, too.
Yeah I haven’t followed the UU line too closely lately, but I think FW16 was my favorite.

I own the most pieces from that season - MA-1 bomber, Supima cotton knitted hole-y sweaters, high-rise tapered chinos, and now the Work Jacket, which is surprisingly substantial and slim. I still want that Work Jacket in navy...

I remember SS17 had a inside-out knitted Supima cotton sweater that looked really nice. Also the hole-y Airtex sweater from SS19? in emerald green looked really nice as well. I still want the fatigue jungle jackets too...

Last edited:

NonChalant321

Reaction score
Had the work jacket in olive. Wore it about twice in 3 years and otherwise just sat in my closet until I gave it away recently. It was nice but everytime I saw it I couldn't help thinking that I missed out on the navy (which was still available when I got it). I kind of made up for it by getting the work Jersey jacket in navy - not the same but for my purposes it's similar enough.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’ll lend you a parka if you want.

Woah! Thanks, that’s very kind. The wife texted me shortly after I posted, though — there’s some kind of Uniqlo puffers on the way. I hope they’re not matching. :(

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Woah! Thanks, that’s very kind. The wife texted me shortly after I posted, though — there’s some kind of Uniqlo puffers on the way. I hope they’re not matching. :(
Yes huge reduction on their "puffers" recently here, i suppose it's the same in your country. At that price you can ditch them after a week.

On another subject, it works with Uniqlo Blazer and Jeans too :

loopdeloop

Reaction score
I can vouch for ultra down jackets managing the cold weather. I have their puffer which performs well at around freezing. If it's extra nippy i make sure to have a heattech base layer on. It's not gonna perform like Crescent Down Works or whatever, but if you're just in and out of places around the city you don't need it to. Just watch out for shedding...

Alexidb

Reaction score
Ha ohh well, hit me up if you have a minute and we can grab a coffee and go visit Gary at Drinkwaters.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics