1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Uniqlo Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by weirdnjfan1, Nov 21, 2006.

Tags:
  1. redmau

redmau Member

176cm, 38" chest, about <70kg. Haven't checked in a while.

Picked up a small because the measurements are close to a size 38 in BR bombers. Also grabbed a medium in olive just in case which should arrive tomorrow.

2. dotcomzzz

dotcomzzz Senior member

Anyone pick up the U cashmere crewneck? Thoughts?

3. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

Uniqlo U crewneck tees just came in. These are an amazing buy for $15. Nice, thick fabric and loose comfortable fit. Could be a cm or two longer, but the medium length lends to more versatile usage for me. I got the black, white, and the red. The red might be my favorite, as it's just a shade or two off from burgundy. I might stock up on these.

4. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

I want them , no stock online, must be grasshopper fast to kop.

5. JilSlander

JilSlander Senior member

Just a heads up: my longsleeve U crewnecks shrank a bit in the wash/dry.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  6. jet

jet Senior member

didn't even realize the sweatshirts were u, copped the burgundy super quick and then it disappeared from online as well don't know wtf is going on hopefully sizing is perfect

7. boned

boned Senior member

See my previous post

8. Rais

Rais Senior member

I got the cotton chinos, oxford shirt and MA-1 in today, all in Olive. I really like the pants and the jacket; the quality, details and colour are good for the price. The button up shirt is just fine though. It is nothing special and barely differentiated from the standard Uniqlo offering and the colour is more of a khaki brown than an olive. I think I will be returning that one. The material on the pants is quite thick compared to other Uniqlo chinos I have, so they will be for trips to cold climates and worn during the mild winters we get here, only. The bomber is much better than the standard MA-1 sold by Uniqlo, has a substantial YKK zipper, decent ribbing and is well insulated as others have said.

[​IMG]

10 people like this.
  9. adeniran

adeniran Well-Known Member

@Rais did you hem yours already? Everything looks great.

10. Fycus

Fycus Senior member

Picked up the uu oversized down jacket in Shanghai. Got an XL for that Michelin man steez, shit is dope as fuck for the price. About to be nice and toasty this winter.

11. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

So do the wool pleated pants really run as small as the measurements online say? Eg, size 34 has a 31" waist.

12. Benjaminba

Benjaminba Senior member

Size 30 fit TTS, but idk about the other sizes. Would be weird if they were different.

13. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

How are the wool pants? Need some beater pants for the office, my +Js don't have much life left.

14. Benjaminba

Benjaminba Senior member

Excellent for the price imo. The fabric is on the thin side, but still has a pretty good drape. They are lined to the knee. The brown colour is darker than on the web. They are very long in the leg, so you probably have to have them hemmed.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  15. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

I dunno wtf I was looking at earlier but yeah, I looked again and it says 34 = 34" waist so cool.
    I also need something to replace my 2 pairs of +J (if anybody is selling the relaxed wool +J in a 35 send me a PM, any colours).

16. Arnold Grape

Arnold Grape Senior member

SmartPost (sic) came in today, with U Sweatshirt (Crewneck); Long-Sleeve Tee and Sweatpants. The Sweatshirt, as others have noted, features a nice cut that has a bit of volume up top and tapers toward the waist. Mine has a little bit too much room where it tapers to the waistband, but the fit is not unlike the model represented on the USA site. Having recently returned an OUR LEGACY 50's Great Sweat, this item strikes me as being fairly decent for the price. Long-Sleeve Tee feels similar to the Soft Touch material Uniqlo uses for other items and fits without the supremely oversized look of the USA model in a size Large. The Green color is also pleasant. Sweatpants, however, are a straight joke - although the material is fairly thick, the fit is akin to a baggy pair of exercise pants. The taper is slight, but I can't really imagine anyone being too impressed with the fit of these. (By way of comparison, these do not appear anything like they are represented on the model.) Overall, I like the two items that I am keeping.

17. strangebrew

strangebrew Well-Known Member

I got the merino polo shirt. I think the quality is great and love the fit.

18. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Anyone know if there's a uniqlo chino that has fabric to be let out or taken in at the waist? (Or if you even need extra fabric to make the waist smaller?).

I hate returning things by mail.

Thanks!

19. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Uniqlo U order came in:

I only ordered pants.

Initial impressions - everything looked great out of the package.

I really like all the pants because they pretty much hit the mark for a pair of 19cm bottoms. Everything sits well at the waist and seat. There is a straight line silhouette from hip to cuff. If your still stuck with the mindset of skinny jeans and stacked cuffs, stay away! Otherwise, be in for a happy surprise. Overall fit is slim, not skinny, not straight.

Men U Regular Fit Color Jeans I picked up the white color. The denim is medium weight, not thin at all. White jeans nowadays are ubiquitous but I haven't picked up a pair that fit just like this.

Men U Regular Corduroy Jeans I picked up the grey and brown color. Corduroy feels course and a little crispy. I imagine it has the potential to soften up over time. The cut is about the same as the Regular Fit Color Jeans with maybe a quarter inch larger leg opening.

Men U Wool Pleated Pants I picked up the olive color (they do appear more brown in person). These are exactly 19cm. The forward facing pleat is a very appreciated addition. The wool is not "thin". I would say these would be a nice pair of pants for all season wear depending on your climate.

So there's a caveat. There is no material at the waist to take in or let out. I ordered a size 32 in all the pants and I went with the measurements online, which appear to be pretty accurate. Personally I would prefer a quarter to half inch more in the waist to accommodate when I am seated. Unfortunately, I feel like sizing up to a 33 may throw off the proportions for the jeans and corduroy. It boils down to whether you want to spend the extra money to alter the waist, taper the leg gradually from either the hip or knee down, and shorten the inseam. All that can be a lot of work and money for a simple pair of pants. For the jeans and corduroy I do not know if they will stretch enough in the waist. it is 100% cotton, no elastane :(. Best thing is that do stretch and all that is really required is a simple shortening of the inseam. I stand at about 5'9 and prefer a 30" inseam for a nice clean break in my pants. With more casual bottoms 31" would be fine. At 32" inseam the taper needs to be aggressive like 18cm or below.

Colors: Again, you can find white pants pretty much anywhere nowadays. The grey corduroy is too light IMO and a bit washed out. I had a pair of grey Acne cords a few years ago and thought they were perfect. The brown corduroy is beautiful and depending on what I decide I would definitely keep this pair out of the bunch. It's a nice color for FW season. I already have a simple outfit in mind.

I will most likely order the wool pants once a bigger size is restocked. To me, for dress pants is worth to spend the extra money to get it altered for a better fit. And as I mentioned, it is difficult to find a pair of OTR dress pants with this type of design. Most OTR with forward face pleats are in the 3 figures, so, certainly picking up a pair here and altering will still fall much below that price point. I only wish they came out with more colors or at least a lighter color pair.

If anyone else has been wearing the jeans and cords and can share their wear experience that would be great!

Edit:
    I am most likely in between sizes, so, personally need to size up and get alteration done. Otherwise, if you follow the measurements online you can go "TTS".

FWIW all the pants in size 32 fit me just fine. With the exception of the wool pants I probably would not be able to tuck tops in the pants though. I just need a little more room when I am seated.

I am usually a size 48 in pants or 33. But going by measurements in this Uniqlo U collection size 32 has about the same measurements as a general size 48 bottom.

Edit 2:
    I would judge these as mid-rise pants. These Uniqlo U pants did not appear as low as Uniqlo mainline pants I've tried before. Which is also another happy surprise. I think with Lemaire's management these subtle changes overall are a great thing!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    4 people like this.
  20. Rais

Rais Senior member

@adeniran No, I just rolled them up underneath for the photo. I'll get them hemmed later. And thanks. The pants feel quite special, lots of nice little details like a substantial third pocket inside the right pocket and are just much higher quality in general than any Uniqlo pants I own, including my Uniqlo x Lemaire stuff from last season. Debating if I should try out any more items since there is a full size run of almost every product and colour in-stock online still in Australia (since it's coming into summer I doubt many people are keen on buying such warm clothes right now).

Nice review on the pants, gettoasty.