1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Uniqlo Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by weirdnjfan1, Nov 21, 2006.

Tags:
  1. jet

jet Senior member

Why would anyone expect to stay warm in a thin down jacket? That's what crescent down works is for.

2. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

Having a well-fitting, serviceable sweater for $30, and not having a panic attack when food/drink is spilled on it is kinda great.

Having a panic attack when something is spilled on your LP/Cucinelli sweaters, not so great. But damned if they aren't purdy.

1 person likes this.
  3. pasteurisation

pasteurisation Senior member

I have an ultralight premium down jacket and it does not unfortunately keep me warm with a gore-tex shell jacket. Patagonia also has been making ultralight down jackets(800 fill down) for years though, can anyone compare Uniqlo's to Patagonia's in terms of quality? Thanks in advance.

4. ntn1779

ntn1779 Senior member

GU is the Old Navy of Japan.

(http://www.gu-japan.com/)

5. innerstyle

innerstyle Senior member

Interesting, so Fast Retail has their own Gap with Uniqlo and Old Navy with GU? Where's their Banana Republic?

6. Landscape

Landscape Senior member

When everyone mentions ULD is it the vest or jacket?

7. CityMap

CityMap Senior member

In terms of structure, I guess you can say GU is the old navy, Uniqlo the Gap, and Theory is their Banana Republic..
    but in terms of style and market

GU is their Forever 21. They make very cheap clothes that cater to youths. Very bright clothes, random English words all over, etc. If you look at Japanese forums, GU is way more popular than Uniqlo among teenagers. The problem is...their stuff looks cheap and crappy. many stuff is entirely synthetic (acrylic and polyester everywhere). My friend bought one of their shorts, and it bled color for several washes. But its really cheap. I got a duffel coat there for $30 USD and its pretty warm.

Uniqlo is pretty similar to GAP, but with better pricing

Theory is their high end brand..but it is nothing like Banana Republic... its so much more expensive.. The atmosphere of their store is entirely black and sophisticated.. it feels like an Armani Exchange store..but with ridiculous prices and more conservative styling. My girlfriend loves their stuff..but I couldn't bring myself to spend $70-100 USD for a tee shirt that is just all black. Overall that's the issue I have with many Japanese mid range to high end brands. The styling is not extremely different from Uniqlo (more conservative than fashion forward), the quality is higher, but the price they demand for it doesn't make it worth while for me. I think that's why some more recent brands like Rage Blue and Global Works are becoming really popular in Japan among teens to early 30s. they offer a bit more unique designs that distinguish it from Uniqlo, and won't break the bank. About so-so quality.

4 people like this.
  8. momentoftruth

momentoftruth Senior member

great post CM, thanks. I actually had no idea Theory was Japanese, much less part of Fast Retailing [​IMG]

I went to Japan for the first time this past May and I was overwhelmed with all the stores/brands I had never heard of. I was hoping I'd find a slightly more affordable Beams+/Tomorrowland but was unsuccessful. No matter since pretty much nothing fit me there. Ended up dropping way too much at the Journal Standard store, really like their stuff

/random uniqlo-ish thoughts

on the knit thing I have an EFM cardi at work as my beater for when the AC is blasting, and it's hold up great. Just wish they would add pockets to their cardigans, for some reason that always bugs me

9. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

Theory isn't Japanese, Fast Retailing just bought them a few years ago along with Helmut Lang and J Brand.

10. momentoftruth

momentoftruth Senior member

11. CityMap

CityMap Senior member

some one here told me Theory used originate elsewhere until Fast Retailing bought it.
    Beams outlet sometimes has good deals especially in January and July, the two big sale seasons in Japan. I suggest you go during that time.
    I think out of the more expensive brands, I like Journal Standard the best..it just feels quality. My boss loves JS.. but there were quite a few times I looked at an item and was like "i could get that same exact shirt at Uniqlo for a tenth of the price".

right now I would say 75% of my clothes are from Uniqlo. The only time things that are not Uniqlo are suits, shoes, winter jackets, or fashionable outerwear. I go for a mix of lacoste/ralph/burberry black label for those or Zara for the trendy stuff.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  12. Mulan

Mulan Senior member

@CityMap where does United Arrows stand in Japan? They do many collaborations, and have quite the presence in the Pitti Uomo scene, but I never got to really understanding them as a whole. Perhaps @gdl203 could pitch in as well.

13. CityMap

CityMap Senior member

Its really popular among college age students, but I see 30-40 somethings in there too.
    Usually the common thing college students ask are.. "are you a UA or Beams person?" which reflects their rivalry.
    UA is a bit more conservative and has many labels. Beams is a bit more fashion forward, but not in the way Zara is.
    I personally go to Beams simply because their outlet gives much better deals. My friends are about half half on the UA and Beams stuff and they tend to stick to one of the brands rather than buy from both. I don't understand why.

like Moment, I find their fit to be too tight sometimes and not bother with either.
    I also dislike how they hang outside the fitting room to give you the clothes one by one. It feels like I'm being pressured to try it on fast. Maybe some others like that personal service..but I tend to take my time and bring many items at once to coordinate. Uniqlo has a 2 item at one time rule..but they don't enforce it as I bring the entire basket in.

1 person likes this.
  14. derv

derv Senior member

I disagree with the general consensus of lambswool. I bought 4 of the sweaters and wear them daily over my dress shirts. I've worn 2 of them at least 10 times each with little to no pilling.

It's a $21 dollar sweater. If it only lasts 20 wears, that's a buck a pop.

I think it's much warmer and slightly thicker then Merino, which I also own.

For what it's worth.

15. Bortelli

Bortelli Senior member

I just find it funny how these jackets look the same. You could have the same look for 220 dollars less. (+ Colors)

Theory

[​IMG]

Uniqlo

[​IMG]

16. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

^ They did do a collab once though so maybe some overlap?

17. Bortelli

Bortelli Senior member

Nope not a collab. I found the theory jacket at barneys.

18. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

I'm just saying they once did a collab so there was/is some design overlap that existed or obviously still exists.

19. CityMap

CityMap Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stopped by Uniqlo again to look for a wool suit jacket, saw some new stuff and new sales
    cotton cashmere blend cardigans for about 25 USD, ULD jackets for about $50 USD.

1 person likes this.
  20. cloonz

cloonz Senior member

Uniqlo and Theory are both owned by Fast Retailing.