1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Uniqlo Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by weirdnjfan1, Nov 21, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Landscape

Landscape Senior member

Yeah, I'll second this. I've worn my extra fine merino wool sweater for over a year and it's still really soft and nice to wear (although it tears a bit easily) - still a very good buy at £20 or whatever it was. But generally I agree with sweaters being worth the extra money, the Uniqlo is probably the only cheap sweater I wear regularly.

1 person likes this.
  2. CityMap

CityMap Senior member

For the price of one good sweater which is stated above to be up to $200
    I could get 12 - 14 extra fine merino wool sweaters (when on sale) here.
    Assuming the worse scenario that it only lasts one year (fall to early spring).. then that's still enough sweaters to last 12 years while still being cheaper.

3. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

except that the experience of draping something in the "up to $200" category is different than draping a $20 sweater.

i'm not sure durability is the only factor when going up the luxe hierarchy. perhaps the most prominent example is driving a luxury car for 10 years juxtaposed to driving a different standard v4 sedan every year for 10 years. the 10 sedans will indubitably last longer than a luxury car, but i'm not sure the experience of driving a v4 sedan will surpass a luxury car that cost 10x the price of a v4 sedan.

btw, I'm extremely happy with uniqlo sweaters, given its price point.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  4. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

so I sort of agree... In the case of merino, I think things have changed in the past few years and it's a decent fabric that's come down in price. I have a few ~$40-50 merino sweaters and they work fine but I do find them pretty thin, a little stiff, and they ALL develop 3-5 little holes all over the place. So better than blends and cheap cotton, but still not really great.

As for the 10x$20 versus 1x$200 perspective, well, that's a personal call and I think we've all been through that stage. In part, the point of what I said was to help move guys with this sort of opinion past that stage quicker. I've been there done that and I'm telling you from the end of the road (hey a boys to men reference!) that if you're a highschooler with no cash, or you're hard on your stuff, or you're buying crazy colors that go out of fashion, etc then do $20-30 sweaters, but if you want something you're really going to enjoy and will hold up, spend $200+ and you'll see the difference.

Turning this into a random fashion thoughts thread I guess. My point is I LOVE uniqlo, don't get me wrong, but learn to pick and choose the right products from the right manufacturers.

5. CityMap

CityMap Senior member

I agree. For some things its best to spend cheap on, and others more on (like outerwear such as jackets and coats), but for me I've always considered wool sweaters to be "just another layer". i dont wear it in late spring, summer, or early fall. during the cold season, my jacket or coat covers most of it up. the only time you'll see it is in the office.

6. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

I don't like wearing sweaters. But still have some just out of necessity. Like where a jacket or hoodie isn't appropriate.

I don't get a kick out of buying them. But I did pick up the Extra Fine Merino at full price. The one with the stripes at the bottom half of the sweater. It has actually been really nice. So much that I got a solid color one on sale.

7. jet

jet Senior member

I'm really confused as to the discussion here, point is uniqlo is a cheaper alternative to every brand we talk about on sf so of course most everything is going to be nicer. However, the point is that efm is a worthy buy and spending up to 200 dollars is not going to yield any more satisfaction.

Case closed.

5 people like this.
  8. Landscape

Landscape Senior member

^Agree except for that last line.

9. Froosh

Froosh Senior member

Would you say the outerwear (nylon/polyester down and ultra light down, not any of the wool blends) is worth it at Uniqlo given their relatively cheap price?

10. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

ULD is worth it purely for functionality. It looks like crap but it works in every other way

1 person likes this.
  11. Froosh

Froosh Senior member

Never seen the stuff in person so I'm guessing their regular nylon down jackets look like crap too? Really poor quality?

12. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

It was a bit harsh to say it looks like crap. Just saying there is nothing really good looking about the ULD, but everyone and their mommas (literally) has one because it works great. It's as warm as having a down coat, but it's super thin. You can layer it if you like too.

13. Raindrop

Raindrop Senior member

Knits and jackets are something I generally don't cheap out on..shoes as well.

They just last longer and worth dropping more on. I only have like 3-4 knits but they do work and likewise with jackets too.

Not worth the pilling, detoriation and discomfort. Leather and wool specifically. T-shirts, sweaters, jeans, etc, cotton in general, you can just get away with.

14. CityMap

CityMap Senior member

I live in a cold part of Japan (but definitely no where near as cold as Northern US or Canada), and even here the Uniqlo employees will say the ULD is not enough for winter..get a thicker down jacket. (a shame as I was attempting to buy one to function as an outer layer)
    That said, its a solid layering piece. Most people here wear it as an inner layer.
    I don't think very many use it as an outer layer other than foreigners. Outside of the lack of warmth...many Japanese don't want people to know they got something from Uniqlo and the ULD's are pretty unique..so they will wear outers from other brands (but much of their inside stuff is Uniqlo)

15. Froosh

Froosh Senior member

Thanks for the input Dbear & Cmap. How do the thicker down jackets perform? Cheap quality?

??? So they like the function but are embarrassed to be wearing it... lol.

16. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Why have you never mentioned that you live in Japan until this post? People need to know these things.

17. CityMap

CityMap Senior member

Ive posted it quite a few times and even posted pictures in this thread of my weekly Japanese Uniqlo adventures

1 person likes this.
  18. CityMap

CityMap Senior member

well you could argue that lots of clothes are like that.. alot of them function, but we care a bit about the image it portrays.
    I guess you could argue its like Old Navy (but the quality is much better imho).. a lot of the clothes are cheap, and they work, you can get a lot of basics there. but some people don't want to go around advertising they get their stuff from Old Navy.. especially Asians who care too much about brand (the Japanese are not as bad as the Chinese or Koreans, but they still care more than their western counterparts).

The thicker ones seem to be pretty functional. They are about $50 on sale here. My friend has one and he seems fine (but he has heaps of layers under neath).
    Actually just last night, one of my south american friends who is unaccustomed to this weather, went outside with a ULD jacket (he had two other layers underneath)..and said he was still freezing. Right now its -2C

19. t3hg0suazn

t3hg0suazn Senior member

ULD is what you wear under your actual fashion shit so you don't freeze.

1 person likes this.
  20. Raindrop

Raindrop Senior member

Yeah Uniqlo is probably the Old Navy of Japan.

Just marketed differently here. I just happen to like their colour selection, fit, designs and price point. They do ULD, fleece, cotton and Heat Tech really well.