• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Does your collar roll? I was thinking of selling all my Thom Browne / Gitman / Epaulet shirts and just buying Uniqlo oxfords, fit is fine but the collar just doesn't roll for me. But I can get 2-4 Uniqlo shirts for the price of each shirt I have right now so really tempted

I would advise against this. I have a few Uniqlo shirts I use as beaters and I don't forsee them having a very long lifespan. Also, the UU hidden placket shirts are never the same after they've been through the wash just once. Of course there's the issue of the buttons too...

gong

Reaction score
Are the hidden placket shirts still available?

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No clue - took a quick look at the website, but couldn't find them (color options were white/gray/midnight). You aren't missing much - borderline white T in the hood single use status.

Last edited:

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Whats the best uniqlo underwear? i cant do anything with cotton in it

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Decided to run the dotted shirt through a hot wash/hot dry to see what happened. Didn't seem to shrink much; perhaps a tiny bit in the chest, and it doesn't look quite as billowy from the side. Only thing I'm not quite sold on is the collar, but that's mostly because I don't think spread collars look that good unless the shirt is buttoned up all the way.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ Yup I agree, it only looks good buttoned all the way up and i look like a Chippendale when i do that

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
if anyone doesn't like the black sweats in a M get at me, or another note, who's the UK guy who does the uniqlo proxy? or anyone want to a grab a pair from instore?

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would advise against this. I have a few Uniqlo shirts I use as beaters and I don't forsee them having a very long lifespan. Also, the UU hidden placket shirts are never the same after they've been through the wash just once. Of course there's the issue of the buttons too...

Yeah I'm mixed about it but think I wanna buy a condo or flat in the spring and need a bit more capital to invest for a few months. Parents were in SF Uniqlo today, had them pick up a purple oxford and will see how it holds up over a few weeks. I NEED collar roll though, feel shirts don't feel right without it

What's the issue with buttons? Not MOP? Not too particular with buttons as Gitman is mostly chalk and Epaulet is pearlized plastic most of the time.

Crump's Brother

Reaction score

if anyone doesn't like the black sweats in a M get at me, or another note, who's the UK guy who does the uniqlo proxy? or anyone want to a grab a pair from instore?

just got my pair today

buy the grey pair in medium and if the fit is good we'll trade :D

i was afraid to purchase them and they end up fitting ill

the black ones fit well though...may take a pic wearing them in front of a full length mirror when i get a chance since ppl hardly post pics on here

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I'm down for that.. you'd prefer the greys to the blacks?

Crump's Brother

Reaction score
^yea, i just didn't order because they look like they are a different fit from the rest...didn't want to bother with the hassle and cost of returns so i went with the black to be safe

Last edited:

charcoal

Reaction score
Guys how accurate are the slim chino waist specs? Looking for slightly loose-ish fit around 34.5 int the waist and maybe 7.75"-8" hem.

i got size 30 to fit a 32 waist, and the chart was almost fully accurate, including the waist. i got my pair over the summer so i don't know if the newer ones are any different. size chart still looks the same though.

If anyone has experience with Uniqlo v-necks please speak up. I'd appreciate your input.

i tried one in my recent order, and took measurements incidentally. mine is 070903 (the first one in your post).
size S - pit to pit 20.5", sleeve 8.25", shoulders 18", length 27.5"
so, use the chart as a guide but expect variation, as with basically everything they carry.
anyway, it's a better fitting shirt than you would expect for $6. fabric is smooth and comfortable out of the package, and softened up more after a washing/drying. drying it also improved the fit in the sleeves and narrowed the shoulders a bit, which i liked. only thing i don't like is that the V could stand to be lower; might be a problem depending on your button down shirts.

what uniqlo apparently does is come out with a new run of an item (with a new, higher item number), and leave the previous run's item page on the site until it's all sold. they must not want to consolidate. or something like that, hell if i know what they're doing. it's the same with a few other items, e.g. crewneck sweatshirts. confusing for sure. i doubt there is much difference between the two v-necks.

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still have a few oxfords from 2 or 3 years ago back when they were still using that thicker, softer fabric and the collars have a nice roll. The ones they sell now, not so much.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads