1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Uniqlo Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by weirdnjfan1, Nov 21, 2006.

Tags:
  1. carlic

carlic Member

How did you launder it?

Also, did it shrink in the shoulders and sleeves? I'm getting really mixed responses to sleeve length, and I'm of slim build, but my wingspan is huge.

If you still have it and could measure the chest, shoulders, and sleeves, I'd be grateful for all the help.

2. jet

jet Senior member

If I had a shop I wouldn't accept returns without the tag, usually means you wore it.

Why the fuck would you cut it if it hasn't been worn.

9 people like this.
  3. Ecco

Ecco Senior member

I laundered the shirt on cold, delicate wash and then dried it on hot to shrink. It's still scratchy and I'm wearing a tank under it but at least it now resembles a XS, though it's stretchy for a linen shirt.

Measurements:
    Chest: ~19 though it stretches, I usually need more around 20 but it fits without being snug.
    Shoulders: 17 inches

Shoulder seam to cuff: 24.5 inches.
    Waist: 17.5
    Length from bottom of cuff down back: 29 inches (from ~31)

The most dramatic shrinking was in the waist and overall length, where it went from unwearable to a normal XS sizing. It literally shrunk from a normal medium to an XS everywhere. I'm 5'6 so it was unwearable for me without shrinking. For 30 bucks, I'll use it as a beach shirt or for when I'm biking around during the summer time.

4. carlic

carlic Member

Wow, it sounds like it shrunk to -0.5" in the chest compared to their measurement, gained +0.5 to the sleeve, and shrunk 2" to match their alleged back measurement. So they were way off. Did you buy it 2012-2013? In the U.S.?

Edit: the waist and length shrinkage sounds like a win especially.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  5. Ecco

Ecco Senior member

I bought this shirt 3 weeks ago online and I'm in the US. This shirt is really a crapshoot if you don't fit into the shirt pre-wash. This thing was a billowy as fuck on me out of the box.

6. carlic

carlic Member

So given your experience, do you think it's worth it to order TTS, then try to shrink it down to a reasonable fit?

7. Meis

Meis Senior member

huh, how are you guys sizing? I bought the same size as I do for everything else uniqlo (xs) and they fit like the reg oxfords in the same size, just w/out the box pleat.

Only except is the one checked shirt I got, it seems like its a hair larger.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  8. amathew

amathew Senior member

I was reading about sizing for the Uniqlo slim-straight jeans and noticed different suggestions. Let's say I wear a 30 in Levi's 514, what should I pursue in Uniqlo slim-straight jeans. Go tts, size up, size down, etc.

Thanks!

9. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

10. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

I was at the SF store today, tried on some jackets, picked up some things, returned some online orders. It was a good day.

11. dotcomzzz

dotcomzzz Senior member

VLSI those are clean. What's the hem on them if you got a second.

12. Ecco

Ecco Senior member

Maybe the linen shirt I got is just weird then. Go TTS and knowing that it shrinks you can decide accordingly. I always take an XS in Uniqlo shirting and coats.

13. carlic

carlic Member

From talking to several people, it's starting to appear the different model numbers may have different cuts, and that the measurements on the website don't reflect this. Further, the measurements for unwashed vs. cold wash, hang/lay flat vs cold wash, hot dry tend to differ, with slight shrinkage usually noticed after a cold wash, and slimming and shortening noticed after a hot dry. I went ahead and ordered a few different model linen shirts during the present promotion, and plan to take measurements and compare before deciding whether to return.

As an aside, I spoke to customer service, and the $7 online restocking fee is for the return shipping label. A person can choose to ship items back out-of-pocket, and not pay that fee.

14. Proceed

Proceed Well-Known Member

Oxfords going on promotion for $19.90

15. CPaul

CPaul Senior member

16. about11oclock

about11oclock Senior member

The overdyed ones as well?

17. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

i predict widespread panic

my hotel next week is 10 minute walk from uniqlo.. might go into a uniqlo store for the first time.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  18. stevent

stevent Senior member

They were 1290 yen in Japan a while back

19. Proceed

Proceed Well-Known Member

Yea, slim fit is included. Promotion starts tomorrow in stores, i'm not sure if it will be online but i noticed most new promotions are both.

20. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

After cold wash and low heat dry, came out to 7 5/8". Didn't really notice any shrinking in the fit, so they probably started that way too. The top of the pockets flipped down in a weird way but should be fixed with a quick iron on low. So far, I'm a fan. Thighs are borderline too tight but the way the fabric ripples, it doesn't look overly skinny. Waist is definitely a big large, go down 1.