The Uniqlo Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by weirdnjfan1, Nov 21, 2006.

Tags:
  1. APK

APK Senior member

That's just sort of the nature of the beast. Even WAYWT favorites such as snowman, shah, Synthese, and bows had a few facepalm-worthy sartorial detours to get their looks zeroed in.

Hell, I've been here for three and a half years and only recently have I gotten an idea of the base look I want to go for most days. Alas, I still have quite a few things to pick up to even do that. Even then, I have to restrain myself sometimes not to get too enamored with a completely different look (i.e. Yohji), since most times, those aesthetics are ultimately ones I'd rather admire than emulate.

Shit, I'd guess I've dropped at least three or four grand into this stuff since I started and my closet is still pretty barebones because my tastes changed along the way. You can usually recoup a decent amount with your mistakes or items that no longer suit your tastes, but you still take at least a small loss on most of it.

Look at it as paying your dues, so to speak. Assuming your tastes don't settle on the prohibitively expensive, things should fall into place pretty well once you've gone through the growing pains and have got an idea of the primary look you want to go for. Footwear and outerwear will generally be your biggest expenses. And they should be, since there's a more marked difference between the cheap and the expensive items from those categories compared to, say, shirting.

From there, it's just a matter of filling in the gaps and not being drawn into cheap shit unless it actually suits your needs. I think a great example of that is Fuuma, who's been incorporating a Uniqlo OCBD (that I believe he got during the recent promotion on those) into his outfits comprised of pricier items.

2. Razele

Razele Senior member

What I would do (and did do) is watch and look at alot of runways, go to quite a few stores, read multiple forums Recent Purchases and WAYWT sorta threads. I would read some good blogs and finally, I would think about what you want to do and how you want to do it.

I would buy a few items per season and build up a collection, i.e there are quite a few guys with geller items dating back since he started over on SuFu. I would watch eBay and B&S (the trinity, SF / SuFu / SZ) and I would save money and only buy the dope stuff you really really like.

How many leather jackets do you need? One. How many overcoats do you need? One. How many shirts? Probably a few basic one buttonups or buttondowns, then a couple well designed ones (Geller / Ann D always spring to my mind for doing this well) Id get a few nice T's and a bunch of Hanes (or Geller Seconds / Silent), for shoes you really only need a couple pairs - a couple nice pairs of SW&D sneakers / boots and then maybe two pairs of well made MC sorta ones, I go for a pair of black derbies in a slim last and then a pair of black leather chukkas (C+J)

General rule is its better to have a smaller nicer wardrobe that you can add to over time then have some massive wardrobe of lame basics. Im getting married so my wardrobe building days are over pretty much, got some orders coming through for FW this year and that will be about it. Ive been at it for like 4 years now so Im pretty done, lol.

P.M me if you want more advice man or anything really specific.

3. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

^^ Wow.... I wish I had read this post earlier, especially this part.

I had to learn this the hard way :embar: .

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012

4. istasi

istasi Senior member

There's really no other way to learn than the hard way, unless you are really aware of your style/wardrobe and where it's headed.

5. 89andy

89andy Senior member

anyone know if they are getting the UU printed tees and short sleeve cotton crew neck for NYC on monday (today)?

6. javy

javy Senior member

7. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

I wanted the Naruto tees for awhile now...and then this

8. Dairy Phobic

Dairy Phobic Senior member

ya I saw the different sites

I guess the selection just isn't as big as I had imagined

I think for basics, canadians are better off buying zara or CM

9. aspasp

aspasp Senior member

When is the new collection going to come in? Is it already in the UK?

10. Master Milano

Master Milano Senior member

Thanks, APK and Razele. This makes a lot of sense and i think you two are right in that i need to do more research and learn to limit how many basics I have. I guess on the whole though, experimenting can be expensive but that's also the fun in the beast haha.

11. Master Milano

Master Milano Senior member

I didn't see any when i went today

12. TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES Senior member

13. istasi

istasi Senior member

I had UU crew necks in my Suddenlee order over the weekend and they said they were able to find them.

14. anonymouz

anonymouz Senior member

You sure those weren't the long sleeves? I don't think short sleeves were in the first release

15. istasi

istasi Senior member

Positive, unless my final order confirmation is fabricated.