• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The (Un)official Yoox, GILT, MyHabit, etc. Thread - the Unbeknownst

AHShadow

Reaction score

They were more of a pop up sale. Keep an eye out and they may be back again.
Barney's supposedly has them go on sale too so keep an eye out.

Alright I'll check from time to time! Did you purchase yours from Barney's though or is it from another site? Anyways thanks and if you ever see them on sale, please let me know! :D

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
F/W 11 Raf Derby (Oxford)

Initial impression when unboxing was that these shoes look to be factory seconds. That or they have been definitely tried on. No creasing, but the left shoe insole where it states "Raf Simon", the 'R' is faded. Further inspection reveal that it may not be worn down, but rather when the handmade pair of shoe were stamped with the label, this specific pair was rushed. Hence, my thought that they maybe factory seconds. These were picked up from GILT sold at a steep discount of $319. I believe someone has mentioned earlier that GILT may be carrying their own stock of the Raf F/W 11 derby. Perhaps they were right. And also GILT's inventory are factory seconds?

Other minor flaws include the right toe box as pictured in first photo. The line is not an indentation but rather an uneven coating of finish I believe. Some shoe cream and proper cleaning should clear it up I think. You cannot see from the photos but the stitching on the right pair at the toe box is also quite uneven where the sole and upper is not as cleanly sewed together.

Leather is very nice. Supple but thick and will have character overtime with wear. I say definitely better than two pairs of Barney's footwear I recently bought. I can already tell that the toe box creasing will be quite different, a gradual process like some creasing on a pair of dry denim that creates honeycomb effect rather than becoming wrinkly after a handful of wear. The shoe is sturdy. The leather and heaviness of the shoe reminds me of a boot more than a traditional oxford as GILT/Raf describes it. The laces are great. Raf did a good job in matching a nice pair of laces with the shoe in terms of thickness and material. Only complaint is the length. I personally prefer my shoe laces on the shorter side for a pair of footwear like these. It just looks cleaner when laced up. Overtime with wear the laces will ease down a bit.

The shoes also fit about one size big. For me a size 41 fit just right when I sized down from a 42. Even as someone with a flat foot, sizing down one and wearing dress socks these shoes felt right on my feet where I knew they would properly stretch and mold to accommodate my every step. I will point out that the vamp and in-step is quite tight so if you have an high arch these shoes may not be for you.

The Raf derby is not a shoe with a slim and low profile last. When looking down you maybe reminded of Ronald McDonald's feet. Slim, tapered trousers may exaggerate these proportions of the footwear even more and make it quite noticeable to the wearer. Photo one illustrates this but even I was surprised that it still looked fairly slim (due to angle possibly). As with not being slim the Raf derby also has quite a bulbous toe. From a side profile view as in photo three the toe box looks to be more rounded and protruding almost like the new iteration of the Rick Owens sneakers.

Last edited:

Blackmaged

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
toasty, didn't you miss the first round for GILT? i think someone tried yours on. also i'm surprised you say that it fits large, i went tts and there's no way i could have gone with a 40.

Last edited:

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am pretty sure it was tried on but not sure if the faded 'R' is a result of that. It would be pretty odd if so...

These pair could be driveslowk pair unless he found a buyer.

I am still contemplating whether to keep myself. I have 9 pairs of shoes and still want to pickup a pair of Jodhpurs in brown suede. I guess a even 10 pairs is a good number.

If I was to go TTS I would have ordered a 42, but then it would have been probably too big. It fits snug right now but not tight. Previous buyers also mentioned sizing down 1, while I hear from a few it is TTS.

As I said if you have a high arch, these shoes will not fit as the in-step and vamp are quite tight fitting. For flat footed individuals this works out great for some reason.

Last edited:

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
[COLOR=FF24ABU]Do these pants make my butt look big?[/COLOR]

7707880074_43ef7d5e33_z.jpg

7707878766_68dab59a62_z.jpg

7707880390_2830004836_z.jpg

7707881096_c0ec767649_z.jpg

7707880760_d7cb6a046f_z.jpg

7707879588_32ec8d0e8d_z.jpg

Slim Fit Twill Jeans from Uniqlo. New from this F/W '12 I believe.

The green looks damn good and exactly how I imagined it to be based on the stock photo online. Pants are comfy sans waist as they are cotton/polyester blend. I have to say though that I am surprised how the waist fits as a size 31 is a bit tight. Feels like wearing raw denim for the first time again. Probably would have felt super comfortable right out of the bag if I went TTS with a size.32 but sized down one instead. Ordered also the gray one which is good. Reason being is that most Uniqlo denim/pants seem to have low rise so you need to go TTS IMO to accommodate waist.

Should I size TTS or will these stretch a ton? FWIW I ordered the slim fit T001 denim in size 30 and decided to size up to 31 this time around after returning them. (You can actually refer to the denim T001 fit above in past posts)

Very happy with them overall but sizing up I am still unsure of. Y/N?

I think ya'll should definitely go kop a pair for rotation. Color is lovely. $39.90 is the price tag.

Recent Uniqlo haul included gray and black linen cardigan, which I think are sold out now. I have all three colorways now, oh ya! (Black, Navy, Gray)

Last edited:

AHShadow

Reaction score

[COLOR=FF24ABU]Do these pants make my butt look big?[/COLOR]
7707880074_43ef7d5e33_z.jpg
7707878766_68dab59a62_z.jpg

7707880390_2830004836_z.jpg

7707881096_c0ec767649_z.jpg

7707880760_d7cb6a046f_z.jpg

7707879588_32ec8d0e8d_z.jpg
Slim Fit Twill Jeans from Uniqlo. New from this F/W '12 I believe.
The green looks damn good and exactly how I imagined it to be based on the stock photo online. Pants are comfy sans waist as they are cotton/polyester blend. I have to say though that I am surprised how the waist fits as a size 31 is a bit tight. Feels like wearing raw denim for the first time again. Probably would have felt super comfortable right out of the bag if I went TTS with a size.32 but sized down one instead. Ordered also the gray one which is good. Reason being is that most Uniqlo denim/pants seem to have low rise so you need to go TTS IMO to accommodate waist.
Should I size TTS or will these stretch a ton? FWIW I ordered the slim fit T001 denim in size 30 and decided to size up to 31 this time around after returning them. (You can actually refer to the denim T001 fit above in past posts)
Very happy with them overall but sizing up I am still unsure of. Y/N?
I think ya'll should definitely go kop a pair for rotation. Color is lovely. $39.90 is the price tag.
Recent Uniqlo haul included gray and black linen cardigan, which I think are sold out now. I have all three colorways now, oh ya! (Black, Navy, Gray)

You should keep them! They fit pretty good imo! How big is the hem though?

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks. Going to keep and allow them to stretch a bit.

I think you mean the taper, which is about 7.25" at the leg opening.

I definitely need to hem these though as they are 34 inseam and too long on me.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So, these boots came in.

Fit: They are great--fit TTS and the leather is quite soft and buttery. On and off without a problem.
Color is darker in person, suppose to be like a dark chocolate brown with a gray undertone that comes out under the light. Some sellers label it as "Heather Plum". It is exactly the color I was shooting for...a nice rich brown.

The detailing is pretty simple. Nothing complicated. Probably the only thing about it is that the leather is quite different in the sewed panels of the boot from shaft to vamp. There are different textures FWIW from grainy to smooth to hairy. I guess the boot was trying to achieve a washed/worn look. Another thing about them is they are pretty damn light, which to an extent may say how poorly the sole is in general. Probably some time of glue and stitching fuse? Definitely will replace the sole in time as well as the heel most likely. Made in Portugal if that means anything. Fortunately I have a pretty good cobbler near by.

Upper:100% Leather (Suede)
Insole:100% Leather
Out-sole:100% Leather

Given the softness in the leather overall I can see no problem getting my more tapered bottoms over the boot. Imagine gray, white, black, charcoal and perhaps that '70's wash' if I ever dive back into denim.

The sole shows no sign of stitching so not sure about construction. But from the photos you can see that the insole has stitching all the way around. Will topy the boot this weekend most likely.

Yoox delivered even though I still think it took too long. Good things happen to those who wait, AMIRITE?

Forgive me for the poor photos as summer is slowly fading and thus night falls much sooner here.
Fit pics:

8031776768_6d6555e0ff.jpg

8031776556_b5b928851a.jpg

8031777154_739fb7c17f.jpg

8031779479_7e41639bf2.jpg

8031776416_6a120464ed.jpg

8031780127_d19a06856b.jpg

8031777466_ccdb290572.jpg

Last edited:

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Those look good. I tried the mypants things you posted about on the previous page because they were so cheap, but the leg opening was just too small and I couldn't get behind the exposed buttons.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They sort of are my beater pants now. The whole hem came unloose so cheap construction.

Going to have them cropped or no break. I get you about the exposed buttons...I try to ignore it. Hmm.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The white trousers are a light weight cotton from APC in a wash sky from maybe S/S 11 I think.

I had them tapered to a 7" opening or 7.25" and they are super comfy to beat around with. I love the color and they work with a lot of outfits. Really love them.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Check out Uniqlo. They probably offer the same thing or similar

Am considering picking up as 2nd pair. Can probably review it come Oct. 5th

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics