1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The (Un)Official Thrift Buy /Sell / Trade / Want Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jkidd41011, Feb 9, 2012.

1. costanaconda

costanaconda Senior member

2. joshmick

joshmick Senior member

Yea, I believe I got the pleather ones....

3. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

Went to JC Penny's today to try on the boots...

I'm normally an 11, but a 10.5 was a better fit on both the brown wingtips and the black cap toe. This is consistent with the online reviews that say size down half a size. There is a two day sale today and tomorrow with an extra 15% off if you use SAVEBIG promo code assuming your size is still available online coming out to around $52.99 per pair. I liked the black cap toe more than the brown wingtip, but both would be a reliable beater for the winter for the price.

I honestly can't remember the last time I've been in a retail store with the exception of Target or a grocery store, the customer service, while physically there, was atrocious. I first asked the shoe department employee to show me where the wing tip and cap toe mens boots were, she didn't know. Once I found them both 4 seconds later (in plain sight) I asked for an 11 in each. She said why do I need 11 in both, they are the same boot in different colors. I then pointed out one is a cap toe, one is a wing tip, and I'm not sure if they're cut differently, she was surprised to see they were indeed different. While trying them on, I was mentioning to my wife how I was glad they had a rubber sole rather than traditional leather sole for a bit of extra grip in the snow. The saleswoman appeared almost offended, and told me I should not wear those in the snow. Next, I was stuck between 11 and 10.5 as the 11 was too loose, but the 10.5 was a bit snug. The saleswoman once again appeared annoyed and scoffed, "well what size are you normally?!?" I held back from explaining my preferred insole measurement ranges from 11.75 to 12" based on whether the shoe is a loafer or more traditional dress shoe with a standard 4.25" preferred width. Last, but not least, I saw a sign that said all $99.99 dress shoes on sale for $52.99. I said oh, that's great, does that include these dress style boots? She informed me that the boots are not considered dress shoes. I asked her to check anyways, low and behold, on sale for $52.99!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
    3 people like this.
  4. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

LOLZ at a clothing snobs schooling a sales rep at JCP...

2 people like this.
  5. ReubenR

ReubenR Senior member

I spent brunch at Waffle House in a bathrobe, PJ's, and slippers. I ain't no snob.

2 people like this.
  6. dappercanadian

dappercanadian Senior member

If anyone is able to proxy the Deacons in a 10 for me, it would be greatly appreciated! Sold out online, none on eBay, and no JCP up in Canada :(

7. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Dalton....FYI you are not missing the hood. Barbour sell them separate. If you list this on the the bay don't want you to ding yourself.

2 people like this.
  8. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

This

Not to derail but it's not nordstroms
    They get paid minimum wage .
    What is a beater to you is an expensive shoe to most people
    Our perception is skewed because we are aficionados

1 person likes this.
  9. thefastlife

thefastlife Senior member

if you think JCP is bad (it is) don't EVER go to SEARS.

10. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

:rotflmao: This, this is a blucher, and that -- that is a BAL-MORAL, you BAL-MORON!

Aficionados may be too kind. We might be obsessives. I notice even when I do go into a nicer store, I feel like an idiot asking for things like hem sizes and so on, because they never know what I'm talking about. Such is the danger of the internets.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
    2 people like this.
  11. roquesoon

roquesoon Senior member

[​IMG]

had to

2 people like this.
  12. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

I'll do my best to get this back on track since I'm more than partially guilty for the derail:

XL Pendleton Black Watch Tartan 100% Virgin Wool Shacket. If interested I will take additional photos and provide measurements.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

Thx cdgreg

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  14. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

You guys are all making me think I missed something. I went out to a JCP on Saturday. The leather on the boots feels a bit too much like plastic for me to spend money on them.

15. ReubenR

ReubenR Senior member

Maybe you missed something, maybe we were a bit overgenerous in our praise. You're basically getting a boot 1/4 as good as the Dalton for 1/6 the price. For what it's worth, I don't find mine feels plasticy at all. It feels like full-grab leather, albeit cheap and low-grade full-grain leather with absolutely no water resistance out of the box.

1 person likes this.
  16. thefastlife

thefastlife Senior member

thinking of grabbing a pair after work. how did you treat it when you first bought?

17. ReubenR

ReubenR Senior member

Little mid-brown creme because I wanted a darker boot, then a layer of neutral polish after I wore them in a drizzle and came home with wet socks.

18. ReubenR

ReubenR Senior member

Anyone have a pair of black florsheim imperial (or similarly-lasted brand) LWB in a 10C? Loaned mine to my dad when he forgot to pack a pair of dress shoes and now he's making noises like I might not get them back. Hopefully I can forstall that with a pair of his own.

19. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

I'm looking for more pants in a 33/34 waist and a 30 inseam. Need a lot of basics including flannels for the winter. Particularly some mid gray flannels.

Also looking for some boots. I like the AE Daltons and would like to find something like them in a 9 or 9.5D.

20. costanaconda

costanaconda Senior member

I just purchased this Bagnoli sport coat from another member here (It was on this thread earlier in the week -- I had nothing to trade that he wanted so I traded for cash). Unfortunately it is a bit too small in the shoulders and a bit too short for me. The condition is the same that I purchased it - NWOT, working buttons on sleeves not yet punched.

This is the nicest garment that has ever entered my house by far. Softest fabric I have ever felt, and nicest buttons I have ever seen.

Fits like a 38 R (or S depending on how short you like your jacket and how tall you are) please see my measurements.

Chest (pit to pit): 20"
    Shoulder (seam to seam along the back): 17.5"
    Sleeves: 24.5"
    Waist: 18.5"
    Length (from bottom of collar to bottom of jacket): 28.25"
    [​IMG]