• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The umbrella, cane, riding crop and miscellaneous accessories Appreciation thread

Lucy J

Reaction score
End of August and the first autumnal day after lovely sunshine the last few days. Off to restaurant on seafront shortly when my client arrives from London and the rain is really coming down. I have my red Burberry trench and my James Smith 10-rib umbrella so I should be fine. If Sophie doesn't have an umbrella I will see if there is a spare in the office for her or else lend her my windblown Stormshield. It's quite blowy here in Brighton today but even in its damaged condition, the Stormshield should be ok if there's no alternative...

Lucy J

Reaction score
Torrential walk back from the restaurant in blustery winds but my JS umbrella kept me dry down to my waist and the Burberry trench and long boots protected the bottom half! Sophie used my damaged Stormshield and has taken it back to London with her to avoid the risk of her getting drenched on her way back to the office...

Lucy J

Reaction score
Heavy rain this morning and strong winds forecast later so I'm going to risk my Maglia today with my navy Burberry trench and navy fedora. If the wind gets too rough later I may need to borrow a spare golf brolly from the office or else be prepared to keep my Maglia closed and get wet on the walk home...

Carl1955

Reaction score
Heavy rain this morning and strong winds forecast later so I'm going to risk my Maglia today with my navy Burberry trench and navy fedora. If the wind gets too rough later I may need to borrow a spare golf brolly from the office or else be prepared to keep my Maglia closed and get wet on the walk home...

Hi Lucy, it could be worse, at least you haven't got Hurricane Irma to deal with.

Carl.

Lucy J

Reaction score
No - hurricane Irma would be bad news but we do sometimes get hurricane force gusts over 75mph here on the coast. My Maglia survived Friday's weather but I think tomorrow (Monday) could be challenging if the winds get up to 40 or 50 mph. Those are getting to the point of being umbrella-damaging gusts even for one of my high-end umbrellas if the wind really catches the brolly. Will see what it's like when I get up and choose an umbrella accordingly.....

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who is the best maker of umbrellas in Florence? Rome? Any suggestions. I would like to pick up one made by one of the traditional artisan makers.

Lucy J

Reaction score
Love my Maglia if you are looking for an Italian umbrella- I've never had a Passotti which would be another option. Here in Brighton it's pretty windy but not raining at the moment so I will take my James Smith with me to the office, and will wear black Burberry trench and my dark green fedora.....

Lucy J

Reaction score
Thought I was going to lose control of my James Smith umbrella about an hour ago. Lashing rain and severe gusts meant i had to hold the brolly horizontal in front of me, with one hand on the handle and the other right at the top of the shaft to keep it facing into the weather and taking the worst of the wind right on the crown of the umbrella to try to make sure the ribs didn't start bending in under the battering...

Lucy J

Reaction score
More violent winds and heavy rain forecast for Tuesday night . Going to be another challenge for one of my umbrellas...

Lucy J

Reaction score
Just come home from drinks with friends in Brighton. Took my new 150cm diameter gustbuster which was a mistake as it was completely uncontrollable in 50mph gusts and it was blowing me al over the place even before the wind whipped it inside out... need to keep it for heavy rain but not that much wind. Would probably have done better with my James Smith or Longchamp although I would have had to hold on tight to those as well. Lots of umbrellas blowing out tonight and several finished up in the bins.... The seafront in particular was an umbrella graveyard....

Lucy J

Reaction score
Just come home from drinks with friends in Brighton. Took my new 150cm diameter gustbuster which was a mistake as it was completely uncontrollable in 50mph gusts and it was blowing me al over the place even before the wind whipped it inside out... need to keep it for heavy rain but not that much wind. Would probably have done better with my James Smith or Longchamp although I would have had to hold on tight to those as well. Lots of umbrellas blowing out tonight and several finished up in the bins.... The seafront in particular was an umbrella graveyard....
More heavy rain and squally winds today. Autumn has arrived and with it umbrella-threatening weather.... Going to use one of my Longchamp umbrellas today and hope it stays in one piece.....

Lucy J

Reaction score
More heavy rain and squally winds today. Autumn has arrived and with it umbrella-threatening weather.... Going to use one of my Longchamp umbrellas today and hope it stays in one piece.....
Going up to London for meetings tomorrow and I'm going to take my " London undercover" walking length umbrella. Was a present from my sister and its black on the outside but has a streetmap of London on the inside lining. I've used it a couple of times lately in Brighton and it feels very sturdy - quite a lot of force needed to get the brolly open so I'm hoping it will stand up to a fair amount of wind.....

Lucy J

Reaction score
Loved my London Undercover umbrella walking home from the station in Brighton last night in heavy rain and blustery winds. Not umbrella-damaging weather by any means but it felt really strong. I might even risk it on the seafront in the days and weeks to come to see if it can handle real storm conditions ☔️

Lucy J

Reaction score
Expecting to struggle in Brighton today whichever umbrella I use. Storm Brian due to hit with heavy rain and wind gusts to 70mph. Could definitely be umbrella-damaging conditions so will be a day to hold on very tight with both hands and try to keep the brolly facing the storm.....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads