• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The umbrella, cane, riding crop and miscellaneous accessories Appreciation thread

A Guy from Shanghai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Smith:

smith.jpg

Noice, Doc. Where did you kop?

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
After Richard Lawrence unsuccessfully tried to shoot Andrew Jackson, our seventh president supposedly whaled on the would-be assassin with his cane such that Jackson's aides had to restrain him forcibly. Not that I can blame him.

I believe this cane is in the Smithsonian American History museum. That is certainly where I read that story.

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
Oertel maple handle... glencheck

IMG00481-20101112-2017.jpg

IMG00484-20101112-2019.jpg

IMG00483-20101112-2018.jpg

userids

Reaction score
what a very nice umbrella, thanks for the recommendation!

Originally Posted by holymadness
Given that it is nearly always the rainy season in Paris, I'd been on the lookout for a decent umbrella for some time. In the meanwhile, I'd borrowed a collapsible from a friend which turned inside-out during the first major windstorm, and a solid with a metal tube from a co-worker which broke 2 ribs during the next. Needless to say I was somewhat dissatisfied with my stopgap solutions and decided to find a proper one-piece umbrella.

It's possible to order online from James A. Smith, but with prices starting at £150 and a wait time of several weeks, I was not persuaded. That goes double for Brigg. A number of high-end boutiques in Paris such as Antoine's (pl. Madeleine), Arny's (r. de Sèvres) and Old England (blvd. de la Madeleine) sell reputed brands, including Brigg, but for prices reaching €200-300. Again, a bit steep.

I was tipped off by a friend about a rÃ
00a9.png
parateur de parapluies in the 3e arrondissement named Pep's which was reportedly quite well thought-of. This tiny little atelier, which is hidden in the oldest (16th century) alley in Paris between the r. de Turbigo and r. St. Martin, is as you might expect stocked to the rafters with umbrellas. Most for repair, but some for sale. If you've ever run into a tourist with a black, pagoda-shaped umbrella that vaguely resembles the Eiffel tower, you've seen one of their creations.

Less kitchy was their selection of stick umbrellas for men. There was everything from immense « parapluies de campagne » with linen canopies (apparently waterproof!) to gorgeous solid-stick pieces that had been polished until the wood felt like silk bearing canopies that were woven by hand and thus had different motifs on each side. But what caught my eye were the basic models, named for political ranks.

img5914.jpg

I was quite taken with the « ministre », part of a line of umbrellas made in France by a workshop founded by Pierre Vaux in 1948. As you can see, it's a solid stick construction made of maple. What I particularly like about it are its 10 ribs which give it extra wind resistance (though the owner gravely warned me that "in any contest between the umbrella and the wind, the wind will always win").

img5911a.jpg

img5910d.jpg

img5908t.jpg

But what really pleased me about this find was the price: €82, eminently reasonable given its construction quality and styling. He also sells a higher-end model in the same line, the « prÃ
00a9.png
sident », which is the same size but with thicker wood (which to my mind meant heavier and not necessarily more desirable). The prÃ
00a9.png
sident also has the advantage of coming with a plate joined to the handle with your name engraved on it, but at double the price, I could take it or leave it.

In any case, I found exactly what I wanted for a price I was willing to pay and not a moment too soon; they predict rain for the next two days.

img5907.jpg

summej2

Reaction score
Here are two recent eBay acquisitions. One a two-piece ten-rib from Italy with a chestnut handle, the other a one-piece eight-rib from England with a leather handle---both private-label for Saks. Thanks to RJ for pointing me to the latter.

These are the seller's photos, I'll have to see how they look in person...

DSC04497.JPG

DSC04490.JPG

summej2

Reaction score
Thanks, I'm curious to see who the makers are once I can get a look at them. The second may be Brigg and, according to the seller, may have a silk canopy (I'm doubtful). The first is probably so old that that makers other than Maglia and Talarico are possible.

I picked these up because my wife lost the Knirps I bought in Germany ten years ago. At sixty bucks for the pair I think I did pretty well.

UPDATE: The first is a Brigg with a silk canopy. The second one has "tutta seta A. ?????? (illegible)" embroidered around the edge of the silk. I get the "all silk" part. Any guess who the maker could be? Could it be A. Talarico? It would have to be really old.

Lucy J

Reaction score
Originally Posted by summej2
Here are two recent eBay acquisitions. One a two-piece ten-rib from Italy with a chestnut handle, the other a one-piece eight-rib from England with a leather handle---both private-label for Saks. Thanks to RJ for pointing me to the latter.

These are the seller's photos, I'll have to see how they look in person...

DSC04497.JPG

DSC04490.JPG

LOVE the second one......

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DSC_2852.jpg
DSC_2851.jpg
Pendragon Suitcase (now owned by SAB) Lock & Co. Hat Madova Gloves

mlongano

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lear

dscf0219.jpg

dscf0220.jpg

[/u]

These two pictures sent me over the edge...I just ordered an oak Brigg this morning...if it remotely resembles this wood I'll be thrilled!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads