• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Me too. I’m starting to wonder if O need a P2 budapester boot in dark brown or oxblood grain...

WhyUEarly

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty certain my next pair will be that same pair I posted in F last, oxblood grain.

Then, maybe last pair would be the traditional Budapester on F last in brown calf.

Also, http://www.nomanwalksalone.com/index.php/split-toe-derby-oxblood-scotchgrain.html

I have a pair of Norweger in scotch grain, which is lovely.
I have a pair of that NMWA split toe derby from another SFer. It's a real handsome and versatile shoe, but I'm thinking of selling it because I realize now that NSTs are really not my thing. I would definitely opt for scotch grain from Vass.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To follow up with my post, these ... :nodding:. Not sure if I'd go smooth calf or grained though. I feel like the former would show creasing too much across the vamp :bored:

These were from back during @Notch days I believe. This is F last I think.

View attachment 1136603

View attachment 1136604

Those look to be F last, and I do love the pebble grain. With that said, I have the same shoe with the split toe stitching added and I don't feel like there is excessive creasing. With that said, I've noticed Vass has been doing their "italian" polish on all their smooth leather shoes lately, which is not my preference. It can make the creases more apparent, but some wear and brushing usually takes care of that.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty certain my next pair will be that same pair I posted in F last, oxblood grain.

Then, maybe last pair would be the traditional Budapester on F last in brown calf.

Also, http://www.nomanwalksalone.com/index.php/split-toe-derby-oxblood-scotchgrain.html

I have a pair of Norweger in scotch grain, which is lovely.
I wish I had gotten all of my F last derbies on other lasts. It's a pretty, sleek last and the shoes I have that are derbies I think look a little confused. Elegant shape in a more rustic design looks a little off to me.

Last edited:

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah I get that but I personally cannot tell the difference between the sleekness compared to other models. Then again I wear a 40.5, maybe it is shorter length that makes it less pointed so to say. To me the F last has a nice balance between rounded and almond toe shape.

blekit

Reaction score
Waiting for my second pair. The suede is so great I've ordered a Budapester oxfords on F last (with some extra space in the toes) in the same leather.

20190305_071016.jpg

I've worn this pair rather often once I've picked it up. After moreless 12 full day wears I've noticed that something is happening to the stitchinig between uppers and soles on the inner side of the shoes (it was especially visible on the left one). I've spoken with Vass and they asked me to send them the shoes for review and possible repair. In the end they resoled the shoes and send them back to me. One thing worth mentioning is that in such cases (when sole is replaced) the shoes get slightly smaller afterwards. Fortunately, although I've noticed it, after some time the shoes seem to adjust again to my feet and feel comfortable.

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Waiting for my second pair. The suede is so great I've ordered a Budapester oxfords on F last (with some extra space in the toes) in the same leather.

View attachment 1138537

I've worn this pair rather often once I've picked it up. After moreless 12 full day wears I've noticed that something is happening to the stitchinig between uppers and soles on the inner side of the shoes (it was especially visible on the left one). I've spoken with Vass and they asked me to send them the shoes for review and possible repair. In the end they resoled the shoes and send them back to me. One thing worth mentioning is that in such cases (when sole is replaced) the shoes get slightly smaller afterwards. Fortunately, although I've noticed it, after some time the shoes seem to adjust again to my feet and feel comfortable.

@blekit

I have exactly the same issue as you’ve described above. A pair of Budapesters on F Last worn perhaps 8-10 times and on both insides (under the arch) of the shoes, the sole is visibly separating from the upper.

This is my first pair of Vass and I was wondering if it had anything to do with the hand welting. Been wearing Edward Greens for 15 years and never seen anything like this even on my oldest pairs which are now 10 years old.

6517A96C-CD26-4251-9FF6-073F221D2753.jpeg D55DEAAF-4F3B-458F-9E86-288FCF588767.jpeg 7330C50D-3BCF-48D5-AE2D-D85DB55310A4.jpeg 0CD118AC-BBA6-4757-93C0-9DEE2E0E6680.jpeg

blekit

Reaction score
@Alan Bee it looks similar to what happened with my pair. I've sent the pictures to Vass (I bought directly from them through MTO) and they asked me to send them the shoes and then told me that they'll resole them under the terms of guarantee. Apart from the need to break the shoes to my feet again I am very happy with their customer support (albeit the communication might have been faster at times).

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Huh. I have something like that on my shell cordovan boots.

metranger8694

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd post this here if it's ok.

Beautiful BNIB Vass Longwing Scotchgrain/calf boots. New Peter last. Double leather JR soles. Size 43.5 with boot trees. Tried on once. Just listed on B&S. Vass pic is accurate color....Please PM me to discuss a deal. Thank you!
Vass P22.jpg
vass P2.jpg

WhyUEarly

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics