• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@peppercorn78 I generally dislike jeans with any sort of dress shoe/boot, but those are so damn pretty you should just wear whatever feels right! Really gorgeous monks.

Edit: did you request a natural sole? The light brown (at least in appearance) works extremely well with the leather.

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@peppercorn78
 I generally dislike jeans with any sort of dress shoe/boot, but those are so damn pretty you should just wear whatever feels right! Really gorgeous monks.

Edit: did you request a natural sole? The light brown (at least in appearance) works extremely well with the leather.

Thanks, yeah I probably won't wear them with jeans again, I think I've decided that a flat welt needs tailored pants or at least chinos. But I really wanted to wear these today and didn't have the time to change pants :)

Yes, I had a photo of a Vass Oxford with this edge color and sent it to Mr. Kuti asking him if it could be replicated. I really dig it!

The shop really did a fantastic job with these boots. I couldn't be happier. Well, I might be happier once the straps break in a bit more, as it's a little tough tightening them. But that will come...

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am a size 40.5 in the F last

Yeah I am looking for a pair like that style.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Jeans are probably a little too casual and beat up for these shoes but its almost summer and I almost don't give two Effs.

Love these chukkas. F last, gold museum calf.

Wow, I don't like double monks or chukkas, but those are unbelievably good looking.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Two negatives making a positive? ("First I thought those monks were ugly, but now I see that they're way better than the chukkas you're also wearing.")

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it looks like there's some space between your feet and the toe vamp, resulting in the prominent creases. I have a similar problem with my Vass double monks. not sure why Vass would repeatedly manufacture shoes that way - even their shoe trees don't fully fill the vamp area.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

it looks like there's some space between your feet and the toe vamp, resulting in the prominent creases. I have a similar problem with my Vass double monks. not sure why Vass would repeatedly manufacture shoes that way - even their shoe trees don't fully fill the vamp area.

Well, you are correct. But I always assumed that was because I have a low "volume" forefoot and low instep. I do have a similar problem with most shoe brands, including Enzo Bonafe and Allen Edmonds.

It may look worse than it is in this picture, however, since Imflexing my toes up.

Actually, I don't have this problem with the U last. It hugs the top of my foot pretty well. That toebox, however...

yanagi

Reaction score

Well, you are correct. But I always assumed that was because I have a low "volume" forefoot and low instep. I do have a similar problem with most shoe brands, including Enzo Bonafe and Allen Edmonds.

It may look worse than it is in this picture, however, since Imflexing my toes up.

Actually, I don't have this problem with the U last. It hugs the top of my foot pretty well. That toebox, however...

I think I have a low volume forefoot and low instep like you. I also notice that U last "hugs" the top of my feet better than F or P2 even though I wear 42 in F+P2 and 42.5 in U.

techaview

Reaction score
Cross post from Austro-Hungarian School of shoemaking thread on my visit to Budapest, Vienna and Prague.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/57955/austro-hungarian-school-of-shoemaking/1320#post_8466655

This is a vass thread so I reckon I will post some pictures of my visit...

This is my first stop for my central/eastern europe trip so naturally Vass Cipo is the first destination to visit. On my way over to visit, I come across Atilla, Buday and Rozsnyai but Vass will be the first I will visit!

So when I am there, Ms Eva Vass and Mr Kuit Reszo are inside and greeted me with welcoming smile. It feel great to have done couple orders via email and finally been able to meet them. Chat abit about shoe, the city and the food in Budapest. Most Important and priority is to see try all the various last that I have not access to prior!

The front of their store. They have 2 stores in the same street, Haris Koz. If you come in from the main street Vaci utca you will see the first and original store. Walk further down and you will see their present main store.

Mr Kuti Reszo attending to customer in the background when I first reach

View from the ground floor. See how neatly stacked their shoes are

View from the upper floor

Various chukka in suede and last

Calf display

Exotic galore

Valway in all its glory. They have a lot of interesting combination here...

Vass has recently introduced military polish as part of their offering. Finishing looks much better compared to past orders.

Cordovan line up. Currently in stock Dark Cognac, Colour 8 and Black

One of my favourite design.

For those interested in comparision. Left is red brown suede and right is mid brown suede

Interesting suede zip top vass briefcase. Thought it looks big on picture but in real life it has a nice proportion when I carry it

Since I have been getting couple of MTO from them previously and since I am here, might as well tried their MTM service where my feet is being measured and size adjusted accordingly from existing last. The process is simple. Just stand or sit up and Mr Kuti Reszo will draw the outline of your feet and measure your instep height. Next just try the size of the shoe closest to my feet measurement with the last and feedback to Reszo on how i feel about wearing it. For eg, is it tight or loose at the heel, instep or toe cap area? From there he will make the necessary remark on the paper note.

In this case, I try S last for my next project and realized its not as elongated as what initially thought. More pics to post when they are ready. Hopefully the make up and fit turn out well...

bsarosi

Reaction score
Thank you for sharing @techaview

Some great photos and interesting make-ups, especially the valways!

EUtroll

Reaction score
@techaview

Many thanks for the interesting post!

Did you happen to have a closer look at the SP-last as well? If so, what's your impression?

Cheers,

EUTroll

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads