• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hate to interrupt the current conversation with yet another appeal for sizing advice, but I'm lost when it comes to Vass, and there are pairs I'm looking at on a variety of lasts (P2, Budapest, New Peter, F, and U). I've looked around and it's been hard to come to any conclusions; sizing has been further complicated since it seems Vass shoes are rather variable regardless of listed size.

For reference: I'm a 10US on a brannock, and I feel I have a lowish volume foot, though I wear a medium width. I do not have a high instep, which makes me nervous about some of the Vass lasts.
Meermin, 9UK (perhaps a bit small, but not uncomfortable)
Herring Knightsbridge, 9UK (fits well)
Allen Edmonds 65 last, 9.5 (I've never actually tried a 10 in these, so I don't have a point of reference)
Alden for Brooks Brothers, 9.5 (fits well in the toe box, but there's some heel slippage. I've also found conflicting information regarding the sizing of the last: some say it's the Barrie last, others say it's a different last that fits identically to the Barrie last, etc)

Also, if I have to choose, I'd rather my shoes be a bit large than a bit small.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

Hey I am 9.5D AE park avenue & take 42.5 for F, K & U last. For what it's worth.

SteveL91

Reaction score

Hey I am 9.5D AE park avenue & take 42.5 for F, K & U last. For what it's worth.

Great, thanks - that's very helpful. I was thinking 42.5, but I was hoping to get some confirmation. I might go try on a pair of AEs in a 10 to see how they fit, since some of the Vass pairs that I'm lusting for are a 43.

Thanks again,
Steve

SoGent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me, I prefer the English brands styling to that of Vass. I haven't seen a pair of Vass yet that appeals as much as some of my GGs

their Italian Oxford isn't a bad choice
& can compete with G&G all day long

Last edited:

madeinpoland

Reaction score
Is there any difference - as fas as room for instep is concerned - between F (G-fit) and P2 ?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wear both. Laces come to almost the same "V" on each, but the P2 is an easier fit all around.

Last edited:

jokb

Reaction score
Hate to interrupt the current conversation with yet another appeal for sizing advice, but I'm lost when it comes to Vass, and there are pairs I'm looking at on a variety of lasts (P2, Budapest, New Peter, F, and U). I've looked around and it's been hard to come to any conclusions; sizing has been further complicated since it seems Vass shoes are rather variable regardless of listed size.

For reference: I'm a 10US on a brannock, and I feel I have a lowish volume foot, though I wear a medium width. I do not have a high instep, which makes me nervous about some of the Vass lasts.
Meermin, 9UK (perhaps a bit small, but not uncomfortable)
Herring Knightsbridge, 9UK (fits well)
Allen Edmonds 65 last, 9.5 (I've never actually tried a 10 in these, so I don't have a point of reference)
Alden for Brooks Brothers, 9.5 (fits well in the toe box, but there's some heel slippage. I've also found conflicting information regarding the sizing of the last: some say it's the Barrie last, others say it's a different last that fits identically to the Barrie last, etc)

Also, if I have to choose, I'd rather my shoes be a bit large than a bit small.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve
Based on what you mentioned, for starters, a 43 F should work for you. U in 43 should also work. As for K, I'd have to see your the shape/measurement of your feet to answer.

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
14 hours in U last. My feet HATE me!

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Breaking them in?. Do you take same size on F?. They still look a bit tight on you so keep going.....hahahaha. Nice shoes by the way!!

jokb

Reaction score
Nice pair! Is it in the toe area that's tight?

SteveL91

Reaction score

Based on what you mentioned, for starters, a 43 F should work for you. U in 43 should also work. As for K, I'd have to see your the shape/measurement of your feet to answer. 

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback! Can you provide any insight into P2, Budapest, or New Peter? I'm assuming I'd want to look at 42.5 since I believe they're more generous lasts?

Thanks again,
Steve

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah second wear, brutal! U is not my best last!
Pinky toes, it eventually breaks in but it's a slog.
Maybe you shoul try to add some adhesive tape on that area of the shoetrees (apply B4 or Lexol inside the shoe before). Bunions and pinky toes are sometimes the main problem for me so I add that tape on those areas of the shoetrees. I also add that tape on non lasted shoetrees to conform better the shape of the shoe and avoid gaps.

andrel42

Reaction score
Great, thanks - that's very helpful. I was thinking 42.5, but I was hoping to get some confirmation. I might go try on a pair of AEs in a 10 to see how they fit, since some of the Vass pairs that I'm lusting for are a 43.

Thanks again,
Steve

@SteveL91 and I am a 10.5D in AE and mostly a 44EUR in Vass. Keep in mind that with handgrade shoes the sizing does tend to vary I find particularly on the width (depending on the tightness of the "pulling" on the last). Same thing with G&G where I have had in some cases different sizes on the same last. I am guessing a 43 should be right for you at least length wise!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads