• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

acconrad

Reaction score
If there’s anything I’ve learned after obsessing over shoes the last few weeks it’s that at this level, there is no “better” just distinctions and variants of taste. Hard to argue JL is better than EG on an objective basis. Similarly, I’ve seen people say they like their Vass more than their JL Prestige or EG Top Drawer.

So based on that it comes down to “why would I pay $1600 for EG Top Drawer when I can get similar quality with Vass for $500?”

If Bonafe lets you do MTO for the same price as Vass that’s even more customized than Vass RTW. Hard to argue there.

And fwiw I see Bonafe discussed in the same circle of brands as EG, JL, Vass, and G&G. The only way you’re going to get even “better” than that is something bespoke from the likes of Meccariello or Fukuda but if you’re willing to do that then you aren’t on this thread worrying about the best value of top end RTW

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If there’s anything I’ve learned after obsessing over shoes the last few weeks it’s that at this level, there is no “better” just distinctions and variants of taste. Hard to argue JL is better than EG on an objective basis. Similarly, I’ve seen people say they like their Vass more than their JL Prestige or EG Top Drawer.

So based on that it comes down to “why would I pay $1600 for EG Top Drawer when I can get similar quality with Vass for $500?”

If Bonafe lets you do MTO for the same price as Vass that’s even more customized than Vass RTW. Hard to argue there.

And fwiw I see Bonafe discussed in the same circle of brands as EG, JL, Vass, and G&G. The only way you’re going to get even “better” than that is something bespoke from the likes of Meccariello or Fukuda but if you’re willing to do that then you aren’t on this thread worrying about the best value of top end RTW
Vass did away with their stockists yet didn't step up their CS game. @boilerMN2005 reach out to Skoaktiebolaget, Solegarb or Mehra (I actually believe they can help you with Vass, although that may have changed) for top notch CS and a shoe/boot you desire. It can be frustrating to be left in the dark on communication.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't think it's that simple, but also not a can of worms to open up on here. There have been countless discussions, probably on this thread no doubt.

Grabby

Reaction score
I just received my first pair of Vass shoes. Italian Oxford in Gold Museum, K last. They are stunning in person. I wear a standard US 9D, and ordered them in 42, and am concerned about the toe box.

I tried them on and my pinky toes are definitely pressed against the edge. I'm worried that if I keep them and try to break them in that there either won't be much give, or I will destroy the beautiful lines of the shoe. Any thoughts from others that have encountered this? It's not painful for the 10 minutes I've worn them, but it's not super comfortable either...

Thanks in advance!

ACLC

Reaction score
I just received my first pair of Vass shoes. Italian Oxford in Gold Museum, K last. They are stunning in person. I wear a standard US 9D, and ordered them in 42, and am concerned about the toe box.

I tried them on and my pinky toes are definitely pressed against the edge. I'm worried that if I keep them and try to break them in that there either won't be much give, or I will destroy the beautiful lines of the shoe. Any thoughts from others that have encountered this? It's not painful for the 10 minutes I've worn them, but it's not super comfortable either...

Thanks in advance!

From my experience, the toe box will have little stretch if any but I'll let others who have more expertise chime in.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks in advance!
Sell them.

konstantis

Reaction score
Hello to all the members. I am thinking of commissioning my second Norvewer MTM pair in dark suede leather. May I ask what type of sole will match better for such a pair ? Danite or Vibram ? Thanks.

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You pay extra for EG top draw for the styling and fancy bespoke looking details.
The top draw look much more fancy than Vass.
Is it worth it?
It can be if you after perfection of English style shoe.
Not everyone wants a closet full of Vass,
many man want variety of experiences.
Shoes are an adventure,
so it not always about value.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads