• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

willyto

Reaction score
That looks like they stained by accident the uppers while dying the edges or could be water marks at the side from lasting. Some leather is prone to get stained with water if you don't water everything at the same time.

ACLC

Reaction score
It sucks but it's also something you'll run into with Vass. I've found they're pretty good with exchanges but it might not be worth the hassle of international returns, etc.

You can try using diluted rubbing alcohol first to see if that stain portion is surface only. Then try diluted saphir renomat. Use an appropriate saphir cream polish to blend the color back in. You can use curved nail clippers to clean up the brogue. It won't be perfect but it's unnoticeable from 3 feet if done right.

Yeah I unfortunately have experience doing this to my Vass shoes.

Thanks, Tom. I’m most disappointed in the fact that they haven’t even bothered to reply to my emails. Guess will be the last shoes from Vass I will purchase.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Tom. I’m most disappointed in the fact that they haven’t even bothered to reply to my emails. Guess will be the last shoes from Vass I will purchase.
They have a huge backlog. I placed an order over email and it took two weeks for them to send the invoice.

Blastwice

Reaction score
Ive finally had some time to properly inspect my new Budapesters and on second inspection, I must say I’m quite disappointed with the quality. There are black stains around the front of the shoe and the brogue wings have been cut poorly that it looks as if it’s damaged. I’ve emailed Vass twice and have had no reply from them.

Do you think the black stains are removable and Am I being too pedantic about the brogue wings? These are my first hand welted shoes and needless to say they were not cheap so I was expecting much better quality control than this.

View attachment 1838501 View attachment 1838502 View attachment 1838503 View attachment 1838504 View attachment 1838505

This is called "Vass charm"; suffice to say, no one will be examining your shoes with a magnifying glass at the resolutions depicted here.

And if they do, you tell them, "Vass charm" and you will sound like a true aficionado.

BlueSteel

Reaction score
Thrilled that I scored these very lightly worn black calf Vass Budapesters with Goyser welt on the BP last off Ebay for $105...!!! Steal of a deal and they fit great (I figured they would since I already have the exact same shoe in the same size and last...but in Bordeaux leather):

Vass Black BP.jpg

Tomc

Reaction score
This is called "Vass charm"; suffice to say, no one will be examining your shoes with a magnifying glass at the resolutions depicted here.

And if they do, you tell them, "Vass charm" and you will sound like a true aficionado.

It's not charm if you wouldn't do it to shoes that don't have those marks. Lying to yourself is worse than someone else lying to you.

Blastwice

Reaction score
It's not charm if you wouldn't do it to shoes that don't have those marks. Lying to yourself is worse than someone else lying to you.

I don't really know what you mean, but I do know Vass charm when I see it. Have a wonderful day.

Tomc

Reaction score
I don't really know what you mean, but I do know Vass charm when I see it. Have a wonderful day.

If you had otherwise perfectly made Vass shoes without those dye stains and scratched broguing, would you intentionally add those to your shoes to have that "Vass charm?"

There's a clear line between defects and "signs of handcraft."

Blastwice

Reaction score
If you had otherwise perfectly made Vass shoes without those dye stains and scratched broguing, would you intentionally add those to your shoes to have that "Vass charm?"

There's a clear line between defects and "signs of handcraft."

Where can I find a pair of these mythical perfect Vass shoes you speak of with no marks, no stains, no making issues, no handcraft?

Why do you think there is a saying, "Vass charm"?

Life is too short to be mad, IMO.

Tomc

Reaction score
Where can I find a pair of these mythical perfect Vass shoes you speak of with no marks, no stains, no making issues, no handcraft?

Why do you think there is a saying, "Vass charm"?

Life is too short to be mad, IMO.

All of my Vass shoes were perfect, except one which I had to redye. None were as egregiously damaged as pictured in the above post.

There's charm in handcrafted items, but it seems to me that more recently "Vass charm" has become no different than a victim in an abusive relationship saying "it's not that bad."

If you're willing to pay full price for B stock, then all the more power to you. Just don't try brainwashing others with this ephemeral "Vass Charm" to follow.

People should have better standards than this.

Blastwice

Reaction score
All of my Vass shoes were perfect, except one which I had to redye. None were as egregiously damaged as pictured in the above post.

There's charm in handcrafted items, but it seems to me that more recently "Vass charm" has become no different than a victim in an abusive relationship saying "it's not that bad."

If you're willing to pay full price for B stock, then all the more power to you. Just don't try brainwashing others with this ephemeral "Vass Charm" to follow.

People should have better standards than this.

Opinion noted, but it sounds like you don't have much experience with Vass.

In any case, I would suggest the person with the charming shoes wear them without stressing out about stains no one will ever see. The person lasting that pair obviously did not.

Tomc

Reaction score
Opinion noted, but it sounds like you don't have much experience with Vass.

In any case, I would suggest the person with the charming shoes wear them without stressing out about stains no one will ever see. The person lasting that pair obviously did not.

I'll consider 6 pairs to be enough experience, maybe you won't.

Anyways, to the original poster feel free to not smoke the copium of brand fan boys, and trust your gut. If you were here to find a supporting opinion for your situation, you be hard pressed to find it in the "I love Vass" thread. I'm just an anomaly because I own a lot of brands.

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is my F last tan oxford photographed new 14 years ago.
They have the watermark and stains like yours.
Vass - mine 3.jpg
Vass - mine 4.jpg

My tan 3636 last are the same with watermarks and black marks.
Many of my Lattanzi shoe also have the marks.
My Gaziano & Girling also have the marks
My Edward Green also have some marks
My Stefano Bemer also have alittle of the marks

Why?
Me thinks it when they use the buffing wheel to polish the heels and sides of soles,
the stain from the buffing brush rub off on the upper.
The electric buffing brush needed to get the high shine sole/heel edge,
it hard to avoid.
They try to rub it off and hence the water mark.

The John Lobb also have it.
The Santoni bentivegna and norvegese also have it.
THEY ALL HAVE IT!!! :bounce2:

You look and you see it,
on all the great shoes of the world. :fu:

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gaziano & Girling bespoke also some some marks.

Looks like suede shoes do not have the marks,
maybe they specially cover the shoe before buffing.
It might more difficult to cover non suede without pulling polish off when sticking cover over,
with suede it probably more easy.
Just a guess here.

Blastwice

Reaction score
Here is a very... unusual pair of Vass, in a suede no less. I would complain to the manager about the Vass charm, but I believe Vass has only ever made two pairs out of this type of leather.

Parental Guidance is suggested beyond this point.

IMG_4193.jpg

IMG_4195.jpg

IMG_4190.jpg

IMG_4191.jpg

IMG_4192.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads