• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do not get me wrong. I’m not complaining. Just curious.
im referring to the half circle at the beginning of the **** for lacing. Usually there is a big stitch there.

Okay, I get you now. As @wdrenth said, the stitch is below the half circle.

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m quite sure that my former friend air had the stitch visible and not the half circle. That’s why I was asking how were the pairs of you all

My pair has a visible stitch:

AvocatAmericain

Reaction score
Hi everyone — long time lurker.

I bought a pair of F last black oxfords 43.5 from the Vass website which I received today. They are absolutely gorgeous, however the right shoe fits too tight around the toebox. Never had this issue with another shoemaker but I digress. I wore them around my apartment, trying to get a feel for whether I could keep them. I'm worried that this would make exchanging them for 44s impossible following the Vass "no wear" policy.

Just wondering how strictly the policy is enforced? The shoes are basically new, just walked around for 15 minutes on a wood floor.

Best,

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I bought a pair of F last black oxfords 43.5 from the Vass website which I received today. They are absolutely gorgeous, however the right shoe fits too tight around the toebox. Never had this issue with another shoemaker but I digress. I wore them around my apartment, trying to get a feel for whether I could keep them. I'm worried that this would make exchanging them for 44s impossible following the Vass "no wear" policy.

Just wondering how strictly the policy is enforced? The shoes are basically new, just walked around for 15 minutes on a wood floor.

Best,

If they have leather soles you can probably see some wear on them now? If that is the case they cannot be returned (which is understandable as they can't be sold as new again). If they have rubber soles there might not be any visible wear, depending on the creases that formed on the vamp.

Always try on shoes on a soft carpet/rug/blanket

AvocatAmericain

Reaction score
If they have leather soles you can probably see some wear on them now? If that is the case they cannot be returned (which is understandable as they can't be sold as new again). If they have rubber soles there might not be any visible wear, depending on the creases that formed on the vamp.

Always try on shoes on a soft carpet/rug/blanket

They do have leather soles — and yes — the soles are definitely slightly darker than they were when I got them.

That's a shame I guess....

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They do have leather soles — and yes — the soles are definitely slightly darker than they were when I got them.

That's a shame I guess....
If they don't fit and can't go back you may have decent luck offloading them on here to someone who is a 43.5 in F last. :hide:

ThomGault

Reaction score

Best,
As you were able to wear them 15 minutes before finally deciding they were too tight, I presume that they are potentially close enough to proper fit that they can be stretched a bit to fit better. As they are already worn, you don't have much to lose, really.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got back from Budapest (or BP, as they say there). I went to the store and got to try all the lasts. The staff was super patient og friendly with me, even staying overtime to make sure I got to try all the lasts. Apparently, they're making an overview of recommended sizes for different lasts, so my feet got to be another data point in their Excel file.

For reference for others, here's my sizes in the different lasts. I'm usually a UK8 in almost all brands. Obviously, your milage may vary:

F - 42 (probably the most "normal" fit and my most comfortable last)
P - 41.5
P2 - 42
P3 - 42
U - Not comfortable at any size
K - 41.5
BP - 41.5 (after break in, was a bit snug)
3636 - 41.5 (wider and more comfortable last)
S - 41.5

I left Budapest with two pairs, one pair of gorgeous chukkas and one pair of museum derby wingtips. They even managed to install metal toe tips in a very short time to make sure I could bring them with me home.

Overall I could not be happier with the pairs and the customer service provided. Would absolutely recommend a trip, if you can. Thanks again to the staff there for the friendly help and customer service.

View attachment 1719513
View attachment 1719515
View attachment 1719516
View attachment 1719519
View attachment 1719518

Finally, a picture of the "Shoes on the Danube Bank", a memorial in honour of Jews massacred by fascists. They were ordered to take off their shoes, and were shot at the edge of the water so that their bodies fell into the river and were carried away. It represents their shoes left behind on the bank.
View attachment 1719520

Was in BP in '05. Visited Vass and went through a similar try-on
process. Nothing fit. No surprise. It happens all the time. Loved the City.
Stayed at the fabulous Gresham Palace Hotel. I would go back to BP just
to stay in the hotel. It is Arts Nouveau masterpiece.

Dane_in_US

Reaction score
Hi all,

New member here. Quick question that I hope someone can help with. I'm hoping there might be someone out there who has experience with Dinkelacker and Vass lasts.

I have only recently begun appreciating better shoes and have found in the last couple of years that the Heinrich Dinkelacker Milano last in a size 8 UK fits me like a glove. It's like 99% perfect and I wear my Dinkelacker's all the time. I am interested in purchasing a pair or two of Vass shoes/boots and wanted to hear if there is anyone out there that have any idea on what Vass last(s) I should focus on.

I am probably going to Budapest in late 2022 and one option is just to wait and do a try-on in the store. But I figured if anyone has pointers on lasts, then I might try and order online.

Thanks in advance,
Lars

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads