• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MrSpade

Reaction score
From my experience P last run small. I am in between 8.5/9uk and 9uk would be my size in P last.
E Mail. Try with sales@... or info@....

Hope it helps.
Hi,
Is it for loafers? I am 9uk, I did contact VASS, I measured my feet, Vass replayed that I need 8uk but they’re not sure because my Vamp area would only fit 10uk… I am beyond confused. I have to send another measurements, but it takes too long for replay usually around 2 weeks, last time I was waiting for an answer I missed on huge sale.
Do you have anything from C&J, GC, Carmina or Alfred Sargent?

cop1211

Reaction score
8D78845C-62B6-4696-8E82-2B5C0CBEB953.jpeg

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Is it for loafers? I am 9uk, I did contact VASS, I measured my feet, Vass replayed that I need 8uk but they’re not sure because my Vamp area would only fit 10uk… I am beyond confused. I have to send another measurements, but it takes too long for replay usually around 2 weeks, last time I was waiting for an answer I missed on huge sale.
Do you have anything from C&J, GC, Carmina or Alfred Sargent?
No experience with loafers sorry. It sounds weird all the different sizes you are refering to. I have CJ and Carmina; dependending on the last/model/upper leather I wear 8.5uk or 9uk.

Shawl Lapel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello all, this is my first post here. I recently bought a pair of Vass Alt English U last 41.5 shoes from this forum and they are too narrow in the front of my foot and almost fix to in length (my measurements: 26,8cm length,10.9cm width and 26cm circumference). I am planning to sell them and buy another pair from Vass. I don’t think that I will solve the width problem by going to 42.5 instead I have to choose another last or to order a custom pair in G-width maybe. From what I read here; F has the widest front. What last and size do you suggest? (I also have another 8 E Uk pair of Meermin shoes RUI last and 7 1/2 Uk F Santoni) Thanks

I don't think F is widest actually, you might try P2 (I think this is the same as New Peter?). Do you need more room across than you could get by having the shoes stretched?

Stompinsavoy

Reaction score
Just ordered the Budapest derby on the P2 last in gold museum calf. They look fantastic on the pictures. Black friday 25 procent off. Hopefully the P2 last will work out better than the F last which was a little on the tight side on my pinky toes. Went TTS. Thanks for recommendations here earlier by Son of Saphir. Will return with pics.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
F and P2 are generally classified in the same fit group, though P2 is slightly more rounded.

If you needed a more generous last than P2, you should look a P or 3636 or BP.

Where is the F tight?

Stompinsavoy

Reaction score
F and P2 are generally classified in the same fit group, though P2 is slightly more rounded.

If you needed a more generous last than P2, you should look a P or 3636 or BP.

Where is the F tight?
It was a great fit except for my right pinky toe which felt a little tight. Maybe it would have worked out but I ended up sending them back. I'm hoping the P2 will give my toe a little more room on the side.

ThomGault

Reaction score
It was a great fit except for my right pinky toe which felt a little tight. Maybe it would have worked out but I ended up sending them back. I'm hoping the P2 will give my toe a little more room on the side.
If F was good except for "a little tight" on your pinky toe, I would've definitely kept them and stretched them.

There is so much variance in the same size/last that if you find a pair that is close to what you need, you should be glad.

Jacko1235

Reaction score
I've been following Vass for a while and their Black Friday sale is making me pull the trigger on the Theresianer P2. I've heard Vass can be tough fitting so would like your thoughts if EU 44 is appropriate for me? My other shoe sizes are:

AE 65 11D (US)
AE 511 11D (US)
Grant Stone Oliver Last 10.5 D (US)
Carmina Simpson 10.5 D (UK)

MacGuffen

Reaction score
I've read that because of the thicker leather insoles and reduced usage of cork, handwelted shoes are more comfortable than their Goodyear welted counterpart. Do you guys find that to be true with Vass or is the difference too subtle to be noticable?

Reactions: CWV

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've read that because of the thicker leather insoles and reduced usage of cork, handwelted shoes are more comfortable than their Goodyear welted counterpart. Do you guys find that to be true with Vass or is the difference too subtle to be noticable?
I personally think this difference in feel from the thicker insole is sometimes overstated. I’d estimate 75-80% of my shoes are handwelted at this point. The simple answer is yes they’re more comfortable but it’s relatively marginal. What I’d say is that at a certain point when you start adding all the differences, thicker insole, real leather stiffeners that are further extended, hand lasting, it starts to add up and I prefer the feel of a supportive close fit.

The other thing I’d say is a lot of it depends on where your point of reference is at and how big of a jump it is. Some of the entry level brands that are machine lasted and have no stiffeners to speak of and a thin insole yeah you’re going to notice a difference.

MacGuffen

Reaction score
I personally think this difference in feel from the thicker insole is sometimes overstated. I’d estimate 75-80% of my shoes are handwelted at this point. The simple answer is yes they’re more comfortable but it’s relatively marginal. What I’d say is that at a certain point when you start adding all the differences, thicker insole, real leather stiffeners that are further extended, hand lasting, it starts to add up and I prefer the feel of a supportive close fit.

The other thing I’d say is a lot of it depends on where your point of reference is at and how big of a jump it is. Some of the entry level brands that are machine lasted and have no stiffeners to speak of and a thin insole yeah you’re going to notice a difference.
I see! So maybe it's not worth it to switch out my Carminas and TLB Mallorca Artistas for Vass, necessarily.... I expect also the type of sole will have a lot to say in terms of comfort. Do you feel Vass is as comfortable with Dainite as leather soles, or is Dainite kind of ruining the whole idea of handwelting and moulding the shoes to your feet?

PS: I thought Vass uses leather board for heel stiffeners?

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see! So maybe it's not worth it to switch out my Carminas and TLB Mallorca Artistas for Vass, necessarily.... I expect also the type of sole will have a lot to say in terms of comfort. Do you feel Vass is as comfortable with Dainite as leather soles, or is Dainite kind of ruining the whole idea of handwelting and moulding the shoes to your feet?

PS: I thought Vass uses leather board for heel stiffeners?
You’d most likely notice some difference. Is it night and day? Nah.

The Vass leather is maybe a shade nicer than what I’ve had from TLB and Carmina if I put them side by side.

Don’t have any Vass on dainite. I used to have dainite on a different brands handwelted shoes. I don’t think dainite is as comfortable with any type of construction but it doesn’t defeat the purpose.

My understanding is Vass uses real leather stiffeners - also leather toe puffs which is pretty rare. Are you potentially thinking of the leather board heel stacks from the Bedo’s video that floats around from time to time?

There are some practical benefits to a thicker insole, to leather stiffeners, to hand lasting but the reality is I buy mostly handwelted shoes that are workshop made instead of factory made because I appreciate the craftsmanship, getting to know the makers, the skill involved etc.

Is a shirt from 100Hands that is fully handmade better than that machine made shirt from Ascot Chang or someone if I pick the same fabric from each? What’s the practical benefit to hand making? Or did I buy it because I appreciate the handwork? Will a Patek Phillipe keep the time more accurately than an Apple Watch?

Vass makes a pretty good looking shoe at a reasonable price point. If you like how they look and the last fits you I wouldn’t over think it too much. There are some practical benefits to handwelted shoes with regard to longevity. But if that romanticism jumps out at you or the look jumps out go for it.

MacGuffen

Reaction score
You’d most likely notice some difference. Is it night and day? Nah.

The Vass leather is maybe a shade nicer than what I’ve had from TLB and Carmina if I put them side by side.

Don’t have any Vass on dainite. I used to have dainite on a different brands handwelted shoes. I don’t think dainite is as comfortable with any type of construction but it doesn’t defeat the purpose.

My understanding is Vass uses real leather stiffeners - also leather toe puffs which is pretty rare. Are you potentially thinking of the leather board heel stacks from the Bedo’s video that floats around from time to time?

There are some practical benefits to a thicker insole, to leather stiffeners, to hand lasting but the reality is I buy mostly handwelted shoes that are workshop made instead of factory made because I appreciate the craftsmanship, getting to know the makers, the skill involved etc.

Is a shirt from 100Hands that is fully handmade better than that machine made shirt from Ascot Chang or someone if I pick the same fabric from each? What’s the practical benefit to hand making? Or did I buy it because I appreciate the handwork? Will a Patek Phillipe keep the time more accurately than an Apple Watch?

Vass makes a pretty good looking shoe at a reasonable price point. If you like how they look and the last fits you I wouldn’t over think it too much. There are some practical benefits to handwelted shoes with regard to longevity. But if that romanticism jumps out at you or the look jumps out go for it.
Thank you for the thorough reply! I appreciate advice from someone who has hands-on experience. I love TLB Artistas, but I'm curious about Vass and how they feel over time.

I'm actually going to Budapest in a few weeks, so I'm planning to test all their lasts for future reference. Might even drop some photos of the store here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads