• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

sforum1

Reaction score
I'm wondering for how long dress shoes as we know them will continue to exist. Probably the very few that will continue to wear them will be considered old-fashioned and the shoes they wear grandpa's shoes.

I see more and more people, even those who have to dress up, from CEOs to actors to TV personalities wear suits with sneakers/casual shoes.

I feel I haven't seen a single person wear dress shoes in ages (except on IG which are probably not real anyways -- probably SF freaks putting on the shoes just to take pics for IG). And, no, this is not due to the pandemic, the pandemic simply accelerated/justified a trend that was well underway.

What do you think?

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Plenty?. I do not think so. Maybe the point is that people prefer rubber outsoles, but there are just 4 or 5 leather tanneries in the world, that I am aware of, that produce that kind of quality of leather for insoles/outsoles.

Where do you think is Vass to buy from that leather now ?. How new prices will affect its product and demand?. Really painful for them.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering for how long dress shoes as we know them will continue to exist. Probably the very few that will continue to wear them will be considered old-fashioned and the shoes they wear grandpa's shoes.

I see more and more people, even those who have to dress up, from CEOs to actors, to TV personalities wear suits with sneakers/casual shoes.

I feel I haven't seen a single person wear dress shoes in ages (except on IG which are probably not real anyways -- probably SF freaks putting on the shoes just to take pics for IG). And, no, this is not due to the pandemic, the pandemic simply accelerated/justified a trend that was well underway.

What do you think?
That is happening to me too. More and more I am feeling I am not properly dressed with classic shoes in most enviroments I hang around. I am wearing diferent bluchers in dark brown suede lately.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I see more and more people, even those who have to dress up, from CEOs to actors to TV personalities wear suits with sneakers/casual shoes.

What do you think?
When sloppiness is the norm, wearing a tie is a revolutionary act.

sforum1

Reaction score
That is happening to me too. More and more I am feeling I am not properly dressed with classic shoes in most enviroments I hang around. I am wearing diferent bluchers in dark brown suede lately.
To be quite honest, I am feeling a little embarassed these days to show up anywhere wearing dress shoes (sadly of my 50+ pairs). I feel people will think I'm weird.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plenty?. I do not think so. Maybe the point is that people prefer rubber outsoles, but there are just 4 or 5 leather tanneries in the world, that I am aware of, that produce that kind of quality of leather for insoles/outsoles.

Where do you think is Vass to buy from that leather now ?. How new prices will affect its product and demand?. Really painful for them.
There are at least 5 or 6 I can think of and I'm not in the trade, just a hobbyist. I actually prefer two of the ones I can think of off top of my head to JR to be honest. They're in the same ballpark +/- $20 or so.

JR is treated as if it has some mythical powers by the SF crowd and youtube cobbler crowd that I never quite understood. It's sad to see a business close but fear not, they're far from the only game in town.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got my Bordeaux Budapester boots.

Highly ridiculous shoes that I'll probably wear infrequently with non CM looks. But I really like them.

They sent 2 boxes (one for each boot), is this because I have big feet or do they always do this for boots?
20211013_135225.jpg

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a hobbyist like you, I just know 5 tanneries at that level and one of them do not sell to other makers. Even if the number goes further, its a shock in the market (think of all the great makers in central europe that use JR since decades).

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got my Bordeaux Budapester boots.

Highly ridiculous shoes that I'll probably wear infrequently with non CM looks. But I really like them.

They sent 2 boxes (one for each boot), is this because I have big feet or do they always do this for boots?
View attachment 1684762
Awesome boots!. Leather outsoles?
Edit. I think they do not buy anymore big boxes for boots. Cutting cost/stock?
Edit

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome boots!. Leather outsoles?
Edit. I think they do not buy anymore big boxes for boots. Cutting cost/stock?
Edit

It's the Vibram created sole that comes standard on the Budapester boot.

I ordered them the day they released (hooray discount) and used the new(ish) color selection to change to Bordeaux.

I do want some kind of black derby boot, but I think I want CJ Conistons in black rough out.

EDIT: Not a fan of 2 boxes. Harder to store and more likely to get wife ire.

Last edited:

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of black shell boots from Carmina. In your case, I would rather go for black pebble grain Conistons which I love.

I have brown pebble Conistons.

I dont think they make a black grain Coniston. They make a black grain Islay.

op131

Reaction score
I have brown pebble Conistons.

I dont think they make a black grain Coniston. They make a black grain Islay.

They do. Pockets uk carries them, and Cavour used to as well.
Really nice pair of boots by the way, wear them in good health!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads