• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alfred Sargent 109 UK7,5
Vass F EU41
Vass U EU41,5
Alfred Sargent 724 UK7,5

In terms of aesthetics,
109 vs F: 109 is longer, more banana shaped than F and features a rounder toe.

724 vs U: 724 is more square chiseled while u is soft chiseled. 724 is shorter than U.
View attachment 1666992 View attachment 1666993 View attachment 1666994 View attachment 1666995 View attachment 1666996 View attachment 1666997 View attachment 1666998 View attachment 1666999 View attachment 1667000 View attachment 1667001 View attachment 1667002 View attachment 1667003
?????

monkey66

Reaction score
F-last today, full outfit here.

P1010731 copy.jpg

Stompinsavoy

Reaction score
Hi, I’ve been searching the thread for information about the Peter last (P) but most posts seem to be about the New Peter last (P2). From my understanding the P last is a round last with a round toe and normal instep? Is this correct? Also i have a pair of Carmina on the Detroit last and Paraboot avignon. Is the P last similiar to these? Thank you

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, I’ve been searching the thread for information about the Peter last (P) but most posts seem to be about the New Peter last (P2). From my understanding the P last is a round last with a round toe and normal instep? Is this correct? Also i have a pair of Carmina on the Detroit last and Paraboot avignon. Is the P last similiar to these? Thank you

The way Vass described the two to me via email
P2 "kind of normal lasts - Classic and a little rounder"
P "round and very comfortable fit - wider heel, shorter toe"

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hello I own a couple of norwegers in P last size 45 and also own a pair of Carmina in Detroit in 10.5UK. The Carminas are a tad wider. If your feet are beefy maybe the P in 45 will be a tad snug but if you have a medium feet my guess is that 45 = 10.5

Tomorrow am (peruvian time) I will post some photographs that might help.

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello @Stompinsavoy I hope these helps: Vass Norwegers in P last, size 45 and Carmina Blucher in 10.5U K.

Be aware of the Carmina's 360 and more protuding welt and that the Vass's heel cup is tighter. As said before, if your feet are beefy maybe the P in 45 will be a tad snug but if you have a medium feet my guess is that 45 = 10.5 UK. A member of this forum once sugested 44.5 but maybe he has slimmer feet than mine.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Aslan_1

Reaction score
Hello!

Need sizing help with R last

I’m 8,5 UK in both Carmina’s Rain and Forest (which is narrow in instep for oxfords) and have a 42,5 Norweger which is tad roomy for my feet

Should I go 42,5 or 42 in R last oxfords?

Thanks in advance

Stompinsavoy

Reaction score
Hello @Stompinsavoy I hope these helps: Vass Norwegers in P last, size 45 and Carmina Blucher in 10.5U K.

Be aware of the Carmina's 360 and more protuding welt and that the Vass's heel cup is tighter. As said before, if your feet are beefy maybe the P in 45 will be a tad snug but if you have a medium feet my guess is that 45 = 10.5 UK. A member of this forum once sugested 44.5 but maybe he has slimmer feet than mine.

View attachment 1671463 View attachment 1671464 View attachment 1671465 View attachment 1671466
Hi, thank you for your reply. It’s very helpful! Great Looking shoes both of them, I actually have the same model and color as the Carmina ones. I’m a 8.5 in Carmina Detroit and because I have normal/on the slimmer side feet I think, thanks to your reply, I’m going for size 42.5 on the P last.

Maybe a stretch but would it be wise to stick to the same size on the F last as well or is it much slimmer than the P last? I’m actually looking at buying a pair on both the P and the F last.
Thanks again!

Satchmo Borealis

Reaction score
Hi, thank you for your reply. It’s very helpful! Great Looking shoes both of them, I actually have the same model and color as the Carmina ones. I’m a 8.5 in Carmina Detroit and because I have normal/on the slimmer side feet I think, thanks to your reply, I’m going for size 42.5 on the P last.

Maybe a stretch but would it be wise to stick to the same size on the F last as well or is it much slimmer than the P last? I’m actually looking at buying a pair on both the P and the F last.
Thanks again!
I may have been the one who recommended size 44.5 in the P last whilst I use 45 for most other Vass lasts, even 45.5 in the U last. However, if you look at the shape of the toe box in the P last, you'll notice that the inside does not really taper in. Hence my toes do not become squeezed as they do in shoes on most other lasts. The P last is relatively short, but the toe box fits my feet perfectly. Sadly, none of my 10 pairs of Vass shoes are on the F last, but it looks far more chisseled so as always, it all depends on the shape of your feet.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, an update on the two Alt English shoes I received and posted the other day. After having worn both shoes, I was let down by the quality of one of the pairs. It developed permanent heavy and deep creases only after an hour of wear. Nothing like any other of my Vass shoes. I seem to have received a second grade leather part. It should be said that this is in no way Vass' fault. There was no way you could identify the bad leather quality by the looks of it. I contacted Vass and attached pics. They emailed back the next working day, apologised for the inconvenience, provided a free return label and offered to remake the shoes for me no questions asked.

This proves that even the best makers on the market can be unlucky and/or deliver bad products. However, that's not what defines them. It's how they handle themselves in those situations that does, and Vass handled it as professionally as possible.

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I may have been the one who recommended size 44.5 in the P last whilst I use 45 for most other Vass lasts, even 45.5 in the U last. However, if you look at the shape of the toe box in the P last, you'll notice that the inside does not really taper in. Hence my toes do not become squeezed as they do in shoes on most other lasts. The P last is relatively short, but the toe box fits my feet perfectly. Sadly, none of my 10 pairs of Vass shoes are on the F last, but it looks far more chisseled so as always, it all depends on the shape of your feet.

Hello!

I think that Vass lasts can be a great hit or miss (depending on each one's feet). That happends also with Alden so caution is recomended when purchasing the first pair. Maybe that happends because Vass and Alden share roots in making orthopedic shoes and that explains why their shoes have so many curves and angles that try to follow the foot's shape; that is what makes Vass shoes beautiful "functional sculptures".

An example of this theory is the tight and curvy heel cup in Vass Norwegers in P, side by side with Carmina in Detroit.

3.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads