• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AWu

Reaction score
Any one getting the private code for the recent vass sale? Seems I didn't receive one

ThomGault

Reaction score
Any one getting the private code for the recent vass sale? Seems I didn't receive one
Try HOLIDAY
Holla if oxford cap toes on the F last are included. Preferably black and/or gold.
Well, technically, Vass did as you asked. oxford captoe on F last...in bordeaux. Of course, from your previous pictures, you already have bordeaux. You should've been more definite in your color suggestion ;-)

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
K last. I now like it better than the U last.

0IMG_9231.jpg
0IMG_9233.jpg

Unvaccined

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Beautifully made shoes but it escapes me why people choose a banana last. Simon Crompton almost always chooses banana shoes.

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
???? You write banana last, as a comment on the shoes I am wearing. That pair is Vass' K last. So unless there is a leap of logic somewhere, you are calling the K last a banana last. I can't see it and asked you to detail your opinion. If you don't want to, that is fine. I will continue choosing a banana last, whatever that means.

I wrote of a „banana last“. You wrote: “[...] the K-last is banana shaped?”

It seems to me you have given you the answer yourself.

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello gentlemen

I stumbled with the "banana last" term and is not that unusual, it seams to describe some lasts favoured specially in Central Europe. Somewhere I read that Mr Vass was trained to make orthopedic shoes. You can find some interesting descriptions of Banana Last in this old thread:

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/banana-last.10286/

Quote:

"Flusser does heap praise on the banana last. However, it's definitely not an objective opinion he has of it. I know of his writings about it in connection to the old, old 1950s-1960s Peal shoes at Brooks Brothers made by Edward Green. Now at his shop he sells Edward Green shoes made to order on a similar banana last. I believe that inasmuch as there are many different shapes and sizes of feet there's no one last shape that is the best. The banana last's elegance seems to me to be at least in part due to Flusser's hagiographical veneration of the old, gone Brooks of yore."

Unquote

Some interesting information can be found here:

http://allaboutshoes-toeslayer.blogspot.com/2009/10/shoe-lasts-and-metrology.html

Some of my shoes behave their own way and mould into banana shape (due to my feet shape), I own a pair of AS Armfield, that when I use them look like bananas. I prefer the Church's Consult vs the AS Armfield due to that reason.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To get off track on the banana discussion.

Did Vass take down the auto check box for adding toe plates? I'm not seeing it.

Their store front seems to be ever changing these days.

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let me join the two threads:

1) Banana last: the K and U last were designed by Ugolini to be far away from Lazlo's existing lasts. So a banana last, if used to describe Vass' old lasts, would not fit the new ones. I am still confused by the term.

2) Their website has been changed constantly for the last 5 months. The company seems to be slowly evolving towards its new business model. I don't think we are that close to the final website.

MrSpade

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Could you guys help me out with Vass Peter last slippers? I did my best regards Vass fitting, but can’t find any information on P last.
Carmina Rain 9 Uk or 43.
George Cleverley 9 Uk or 43.
Alfred Sargent 9/9.5 Uk or 43/43.5.
Some other brands 9 or 9.5 Uk.
So what size should I get?

Best regards.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads