• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
May I ask why? It gives them full control on pricing and leverages margins.
That’s totally fine. But I believe a good retailer will always help promote the brand better and Vass already have communications issues or slow responses with clients. If it makes sense. Carmina did the same thing.

this unreliability at any given time is one of the main reasons I want to make my own workshop next year.

they have fantastic shoes and I love my pair. I hope they keep it up.

Unvaccined

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
That’s totally fine. But I believe a good retailer will always help promote the brand better and Vass already have communications issues or slow responses with clients. If it makes sense. Carmina did the same thing.

this unreliability at any given time is one of the main reasons I want to make my own workshop next year.

they have fantastic shoes and I love my pair. I hope they keep it up.
Of course, retailers generate volume. On the other hand, that is likely not Vass’ focus right now. They need to keep cost down and increase margin in a market that has become a bit troubled. Growth is not the strategy now, I assume. Also, many Vass friendcustomers are probably shoe enthusiasts who are already well informed thus not necessarily need a dealer.

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of course, retailers generate volume. On the other hand, that is likely not Vass’ focus right now. They need to keep cost down and increase margin in a market that has become a bit troubled. Growth is not the strategy now, I assume. Also, many Vass friendcustomers are probably shoe enthusiasts who are already well informed thus not necessarily need a dealer.

no brand can sustain itself without attracting new customers and I’m sure stores help a lot with that

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have purchased all of my Vass boots and shoes from a retailer. I have seen here folks having issues when communicating with Vass. My retailer was excellent and swift in all purchases. I am not sure if doing business directly would attract me from buying Vass.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've only purchased directly from Vass, and as they make their site better and make more options automatic/drop downs as opposed to necessitating email, they are probably only going to get better.

Unvaccined

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Vass customer service has always been great so far in my dealings with them. But then, that spans a time period of only a couple of months. They’ve made a temporarily unavailable pair for me at the discounted price they were offering for a couple of models at the time, for instance. Very friendly E-mail communication with Vivien and Reka.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, I'm planning my next black shoe purchase.

I have this one already for reference.
vass-oldenglishplain1_1024x1024.jpg

I'm not sure which, i should get next. I like the idea of both a punched cap toe with additional punching below the lacing...
vass21.jpg

...and a half brogue black shoe (however, the medallion that I'd opt for would be the one featured with the walnut brown shoes. Basically that same shoe but in black. I featured the black half brogue so you'd get an idea of what the half brogue would look like in black).
00006VASSBudapestBlackLeather5EyeletBrogueOxfordShoesEU43.5US10.5_large.jpg

Screenshot_20201014_074002.jpg

The first option is a classic design. The second design is classic as well, but just not sure about it in black and whether it would cause a clash of formality between design/model and colour.

All shoes discussed are on the F last. I'm firm on that.

Last edited:

Potatoe

Reaction score

View attachment 1646086

I'm not sure which, i should get next. I like the idea of both a punched cap toe with additional punching below the lacing...
View attachment 1646090

...and a half brogue black shoe (however, the medallion that I'd opt for would be the one featured with the walnut brown shoes. Basically that same shoe but in black. I featured the black half brogue so you'd get an idea of what the half brogue would look like in black).
View attachment 1646093
View attachment 1646094

Why have you soured on the u-last ?

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why have you soured on the u-last ?
I've loved the U-last for years and years. I still do, but in theory and not on me. As of lately, I've grown more fond of the F eventhough I've always liked it. Since I've started to post fit pics I've come to the conclusion that the aesthetic of the F looks better with my style than the U. Just more symmetrically pleasing. Still love the U, but not on me with my style.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1646086

View attachment 1646090

View attachment 1646093
View attachment 1646094

The first option is a classic design. The second design is classic as well, but just not sure about it in black and whether it would cause a clash of formality between design/model and colour.

What else do you have in your stable? The first one without the medallion will be more formal than the one with. I like both, but if you want one that can be a little less dressy (still very dressy just not like a plain cap toe) go for medallion

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would go either for the first or the third one. Here is a pair of mine for you to better decide that model(F last HAF Sole). Unfortunately I had to sell both pairs due to fit.

BLACK 2.jpg BLACK 1.jpg BLACK AND BROWN.jpg

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What else do you have in your stable? The first one without the medallion will be more formal than the one with. I like both, but if you want one that can be a little less dressy (still very dressy just not like a plain cap toe) go for medallion
Nothing else in terms of black. As for other colours, I have pretty much everything.

I plan on using the shoes strictly with suits. My current black shoes fulfils that purpose already, but I need another pair to alternate with in order to not wear the same pair two days in a row.

Would the half brogue with Medallion still be appropriate with solid navy/grey/charcoal suits or would it always be suboptimal/inferior to the punch cap toe? I guess that, that is the actual question.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads