• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would you guys recommend sizing up a 1/2 size from the f last to the U, K and S lasts? Would a 44.5 f last be equal to a 44.5 u, k, or s last?
It depends on your fit profile and mainly width and toes. I take the same size in all of them but have low instep, low volume and feet on the more narrow size with a normal arch and long narrow toes. I had to stretch/break in the U ever so slightly but get a better overall fit because sizing up .5 I ended up with gaping and instep problems and frankly just too much volume everywhere.

Do you have experience with Carmina’s Simpson last? If you need to size up in Simpson I’d size up on U and K. If you can wear your standard size in Simpson and have a little room in the toe box I’d try standard size.

Standard advice is up half on U and K for sure. S is a slightly more elongated last and has a somewhat wider toe box than U or K in my experience. I could wear the S in my standard euro size without it needing to stretch. Obviously YMMV.

Deeky

Reaction score
Would any of you gents happen to have a pair of shoes in walnut museum calf and gold museum calf in the same lighting side by side? I'm trying to decide which colour to get, but it's difficult to tell as the pics i've found through google dont seem to show their colours uniformly.

What i'm looking for is something to match greys/blues, but without being too much of a contrast. I prefer my browns to carry a reddish undertone and not be too dark of a brown, but I'm afraid the gold might be too flashy and similar to what one might consider "tan" as opposed to "brown".

Much appreciated

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the left, the pair with three types of brown, and next to it the pair in gold museum calf. From your description, you can't go wrong with the gold museum calf.

IMG_6425.JPG

Deeky

Reaction score
On the left, the pair with three types of brown, and next to it the pair in gold museum calf. From your description, you can't go wrong with the gold museum calf.

View attachment 1627234

Oh thank you! It looks great :) In some pics on line (exposure?), the gold looked really bright and flashy and it was something I was trying to avoid

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You really can't go wrong. It is my favorite shoe color from Vass.

Oh thank you! It looks great :) In some pics on line (exposure?), the gold looked really bright and flashy and it was something I was trying to avoid

Unvaccined

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If you are looking for subtlety and unobtrusive beauty, take the walnut. It is very much unlike a medium brown. It seems almost black on some parts and, really, a deep walnut on the others. It is a colour rarely seen with other makers and catches the eye without being flashy in any way. I recommend a mirror shine on the toe cap though, otherwise it looks a little odd.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are looking for subtlety and unobtrusive beauty, take the walnut. It is very much unlike a medium brown. It seems almost black on some parts and, really, a deep walnut on the others. It is a colour rarely seen with other makers and catches the eye without being flashy in any way. I recommend a mirror shine on the toe cap though, otherwise it looks a little odd.
This except I've never experienced the black. It's a solid medium brown
20200921_143211.jpg

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I understand the source of the confusion. The Vass brown can indeed look black under indoor lighting. The walnut museum calf does not. Here are examples of gold museum calf, walnut museum calf, and brown museum calf under direct sunlight. Mystery solved?

E8912856-975C-4A64-9F60-ACA541D1E455.jpeg
6E600EA4-0EB5-4B66-B41A-1C6715874D7F.jpeg

Last edited:

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To me walnut is the richest brown colour. Should it be too bright for you apply a bit of black or dark brown while polish them. I always use the darkest colour to polish shoes if needed even if they are museum calf ( I do not polish with creams/waxes my shoes much).

Unvaccined

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Oxfords on F-last in walnut museum calf. The colour on the picture is quite accurate. They used to be a bit darker before I polished them with tan cream. I will add a little black cream in the future. Maybe I should use black wax instead?
3EBA35B1-5D35-434F-BE99-FD46081FBA3C.jpeg

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oxfords on F-last in walnut museum calf. The colour on the picture is quite accurate. They used to be a bit darker before I polished them with tan cream. I will add a little black cream in the future. Maybe I should use black wax instead?
View attachment 1627619
In your case I would just use the brush. Conditioner like Lexol or B4 might help. Beautiful pair.

dogjaeja

Reaction score
Is this really walnut? I would have bet that this is gold museum. I am beginning to wonder whether the two colours are completely interchangeable and the shade one is getting depending on pure luck. Maybe it’s a shade of Vass charm. ?

I have a pair of gold museum wholecuts that have more orange and red hues compared to my walnut museum valways.

I think a bit of darker cream polish might blend them into other color directions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads