• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JFK_88

Reaction score
Please don't throw with stones at me when I ask what gaping is...never seen that before? Is that some sort of creasing? Again please forgive my ignorance.

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New pair from Vass. I think I itched all the scratches.
IMG_5456.jpg

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please don't throw with stones at me when I ask what gaping is...never seen that before? Is that some sort of creasing? Again please forgive my ignorance.
Vass U last is relatively infamous for being bad about but it’s along the top line and sort of like creasing. It kinks out around a lot of guys feet. From the pics posted yesterday. You can see some minor gaping on Kostas shoe
6B714242-F35A-4C56-9619-B180BF500EDF.jpeg

And a more extreme example
AD55BB92-07DA-4A12-AF1B-CE899458DB40.jpeg

If it’s a common issue across a lot of brands and lasts it can indicate a flat foot. The U last that isn’t always true that it is because of flat feet. FWIW - I would also be curious if it’s because a lot of guys size up on the U last. On my first pair on U I took 1/2 size up from my standard size to get room in the toe box and ended up with gaping and a shoe that was slightly too large. I sized down to my standard CJ size and they were an absolute bear to break in and to get enough space required some stretching but no gaping.

Unvaccined

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
My first pairs of Vass (F-last) have just arrived. Contrary to what some say, it has no high instep. I have a normal foot, with a slightly strong ankle and lightly higher instep. The shoes are very tight and shouldn’t be any more so. One pair is tighter in width than the other, the reason for which can be spotted on the sole - the stitching is more towards the center of the shoe.

I have inquired with Vass about the heel stiffener topic. They were very kind but evasive on this topic but have offered to have “some leather” add as I have a protruding bone at the heels which causes very painful problems with many shoes. It is thus fairly safe to state that Vass is indeed using Celastic on their heels. What a pity. I hope they will change back to quality soon.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first pairs of Vass (F-last) have just arrived. Contrary to what some say, it has no high instep. I have a normal foot, with a slightly strong ankle and lightly higher instep. The shoes are very tight and shouldn’t be any more so. One pair is tighter in width than the other, the reason for which can be spotted on the sole - the stitching is more towards the center of the shoe.

I have inquired with Vass about the heel stiffener topic. They were very kind but evasive on this topic but have offered to have “some leather” add as I have a protruding bone at the heels which causes very painful problems with many shoes. It is thus fairly safe to state that Vass is indeed using Celastic on their heels. What a pity. I hope they will change back to quality soon.
I wouldn’t use that alone to say they’re using celastic. Particularly with a language barrier, if you mentioned having sensitive points on your heel then adding extra leather for padding would be a reasonable offer since leather heel stiffeners aren’t automatically softer and are so thin they don’t provide any cushion or padding.

they may well be using celastic but that exchange isn’t enough for me to assume anything. The only solution is for someone to take a knife to their shoes and see what’s inside. :stirpot:

Unvaccined

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
No, you are wrong. I had asked a clear question about Celastic and their answer was certainly enough to assume they indeed use plastic for their heel stiffeners. The level of rigidity that my Vass shoes have cannot be achieved by using leather. The only question was if it’s leather board or plastic.

JFK_88

Reaction score
Vass U last is relatively infamous for being bad about but it’s along the top line and sort of like creasing. It kinks out around a lot of guys feet. From the pics posted yesterday. You can see some minor gaping on Kostas shoe View attachment 1604942
And a more extreme example
View attachment 1604943
If it’s a common issue across a lot of brands and lasts it can indicate a flat foot. The U last that isn’t always true that it is because of flat feet. FWIW - I would also be curious if it’s because a lot of guys size up on the U last. On my first pair on U I took 1/2 size up from my standard size to get room in the toe box and ended up with gaping and a shoe that was slightly too large. I sized down to my standard CJ size and they were an absolute bear to break in and to get enough space required some stretching but no gaping.
Thanks so much for letting me know! Completely understand now. That must really be annoying when one expects or hopes for an optimal fit with a quality shoe like that. Maybe a decent cobbler can fix that?

Potatoe

Reaction score
No, you are wrong. I had asked a clear question about Celastic and their answer was certainly enough to assume they indeed use plastic for their heel stiffeners. The level of rigidity that my Vass shoes have cannot be achieved by using leather. The only question was if it’s leather board or plastic.
Mine aren't rigid

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The level of rigidity that my Vass shoes have cannot be achieved by using leather.
This makes no sense. I have shoes with celastic, shoes with leather board and shoes with leather. The idea that you can tell by “the level of rigidity” or that it cannot be achieved using leather is just not so. For what it’s worth I had assumed they use precut leather board stiffeners these days, I wouldn’t be shocked or offended if they used celastic. I’m merely pointing out your “evidence” is inconclusive and is speculative.

JFK_88

Reaction score
This makes no sense. I have shoes with celastic, shoes with leather board and shoes with leather. The idea that you can tell by “the level of rigidity” or that it cannot be achieved using leather is just not so. For what it’s worth I had assumed they use precut leather board stiffeners these days, I wouldn’t be shocked or offended if they used celastic. I’m merely pointing out your “evidence” is inconclusive and is speculative.
Well fellas, fret not, I actually speak Hungarian cause I am a Hungarian American who grew up in Germany so I can actually ask them in the language of the old country. ;-) I tried to call them before because I wanted to inquire on sizing with Vass as I was thinking to buy my first pair ever and I wasn't/am not sure about sizing, (45 or 45.5 in my case) and which last would be best for me for a black calf captoe Oxford, either F or P2. However, was not yet able to reach the shop as noone is picking up, but if I do I can ask about the celastic or leather heel stiffener...

Unvaccined

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Of course it can. The sound it makes is also one of hard plastic. I’m still glad if you believe otherwise.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads