• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you had any gapping prob with the U last ? your video is not clear on that.

I had to switch to K & P last to get minimal gapping, the U & 3636 were like wearing a canoe !

I am not sure how a model made for the U last will look on a different last.

Anyone has an austerity in K or P last ?
I don't sorry, or none that I noticed. I will wear them soon and take some top down shots and see if it does!

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you had any gapping prob with the U last ? your video is not clear on that.

I had to switch to K & P last to get minimal gapping, the U & 3636 were like wearing a canoe !

2E5AFF4B-A464-4D19-8FC8-91398F3621F5.jpeg 01359D7B-4ABA-4D00-8C32-063AAD9902BD.jpeg

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No austerity in K but I have an outstanding order of austerity brogue in the U last. Can't see how the U last would create any gaps. If anything they are too tight on my correct size. Even when I size up I don't experience it. Oh well, feet vary a lot. I do have a 3-eyelet London in the K last. Toes are very narrow.

London_UK

Reaction score
No austerity in K but I have an outstanding order of austerity brogue in the U last. Can't see how the U last would create any gaps. If anything they are too tight on my correct size. Even when I size up I don't experience it. Oh well, feet vary a lot. I do have a 3-eyelet London in the K last. Toes are very narrow.

K, U & 3636 and it is clear how the U gaps as well as the 3636.

Attachments

• k.JPG
    k.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 54
  • U.JPG
    U.JPG
    173.2 KB · Views: 79
  • 3636.JPG
    3636.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 81

CWV

Reaction score
K, U & 3636 and it is clear how the U gaps as well as the 3636.
Is the people st Vass aware of thus problem?
My F also gapes at the inside of the heel.
Maybe they should review the heel pattern

CWV

Reaction score
gaping is not a problem of a shoe, it’s just how your foot is and it’s just not good for that last
but a significant amount of Vass shoes have gaping on various clients feet (this forum is a rather small universe and we have several cases), where that is aparently not the case with other brands. That incresed incidense of gaping cases with Vass shoes suggest that there maight be an issue within Vass lasts/patterns.

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
but a significant amount of Vass shoes have gaping on various clients feet (this forum is a rather small universe and we have several cases), where that is aparently not the case with other brands. That incresed incidense of gaping cases with Vass shoes suggest that there maight be an issue within Vass lasts/patterns.
As much as I understand you they will not bother redesigning their lasts and the answer would just be to try another one I’m afraid. I suppose you can give them feedback, if they respond it’s another thing..

London_UK

Reaction score
I was about to make the same observation, C&J 348 & 373 no gapping at all. I thought that this is a "flat feet" issue with derby Vass, I have never experienced this with RTW shoes. But then watched this video How shoes should fit, and there it was an Oxford Vass with gaping !

Could be that handwelted shoes are not suited to flat feet....

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As much as I understand you they will not bother redesigning their lasts and the answer would just be to try another one I’m afraid. I suppose you can give them feedback, if they respond it’s another thing..
They are in Budapest they will respond might take a few weeks to! ?

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was about to make the same observation, C&J 348 & 373 no gapping at all. I thought that this is a "flat feet" issue with derby Vass, I have never experienced this with RTW shoes. But then watched this video How shoes should fit, and there it was an Oxford Vass with gaping !

Could be that handwelted shoes are not suited to flat feet....
Nah he has princess feet and he got the same issue with my Santos 401 (Goodyear). Vlad sold the vass shoes to my friend Mike and he wore them today with no issue. Anyways!

CWV

Reaction score
Fwiw, I have no gaping in all my Vass shoes, and I've tried P2, Peter, Budapest, F, U, SP lasts.
And fwiw in my case, I sized up half a size for my pinky toe. So it is a bit big on me. Idk if that may affect gaping

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads