• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello Vass guys!

I am new to the Vass brand being a big shoe afficinado (and actually Hungarian); even remember seeing Vass's store when as a kid visiting my grandpa in Budapest, but never went inside and never owned a Vass before.

So I have this little project in my mind I hope to realize for quite a while already, namely a lighter suede captoe oxford/balmoral that can be dressed up or down during colder and wet months. However, I know nearly nothing about Vass's fit and which lasts work on my foot, I have never even tried a Vass shoe before.

So my personal grail shoe is the same exact look like this cordovan model from a 1940s or 1950s add: View attachment 1593333
Just imagine that same shoe in Vass's medium brown suede as pictured below from a smiliar model from No Man Walks Alone.

View attachment 1593335
View attachment 1593334
View attachment 1593336

So I have previously ordered a Crockett & Jones Westminster (discontinued model on the supposedly wider 317 last) from the Ben Silver Collection for 730$ and although the shoe fit principally I wasn't perfectly happy with it, the heel was too tight and the proportions of the mid section and captoe were a bit off, captoe was also a bit angled (which I don't like) and overall seemed a bit sausagey as if I'd try to stuff too big of a foot into too small of a shoe. The suede was also more orchre/honey than Vass's medium suede. Anyhow, this C&J model has this sort of English look that I am after.

View attachment 1593340

View attachment 1593338
View attachment 1593339

So I am asking myself which company could reproduce this for me in a better fitting package? I like TLB Mallorca, but what I am looking for sort of falls in between two of their lasts (Bryan and Goya) and it would be a total custom order to get that right and I am not sure they operate on that level of shoemaking yet, also their Polo suede has a reddish, almost red-brick kind of color hue that I don't dig. So my thinking was maybe Vass could somehow be the right place to look?

What do you guys think, which Vass last and what kind of specifications would go into such a shoe project? Just from apperances F and P2 last, but I can't say for sure. Would you go full bespoke on this or might there be another option? What do you think of my idea, how would you go about this? I'd deeply appreciate any and all constructive input! Thanks!
The Peter last, or P is the more appropriate last to compare with F. Its a bit softer, rounder, slightly lower instep than F, but still very attractive. P2 is a much more voluminous last thats pretty round and isnt really suited for an oxford/ closed laced shoe.

shoetree

Reaction score
FB5C0116-9FE0-44B1-9979-6FC4380B211F.jpeg

theresianer x epaulet

Satchmo Borealis

Reaction score
Here is what I am wearing today, a complete departure from what you have shown us (well, maybe not).
Budapest Oxford * U - 45,5

I am wearing U last in brown museum calf, walnut museum calf and gold museum - one of my favourites. Apologies for poor photo quality (IPhone)!
Vass U45,5.jpg

Attachments

• 1619178852226.png
    1619178852226.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 127

Satchmo Borealis

Reaction score
I almost bought it, in that size, 3 or 4 weeks ago. I am now regretting it that I didn't.
I was also in doubt when I saw them on Vass' website, but when they arrived, I was rather chuffed. The different shades of brown make them less formal and definitely add a bit of fun.

CWV

Reaction score
Hello gentlemen.
I was wondering, is there some kind of problem with the heel cyp pattern on the F last? the inside lateral edge of the heel cup on my new shoes is kind of wierd when my foot is in. It is like there is an excese of leather -if that males any sense

willyto

Reaction score
Hello gentlemen.
I was wondering, is there some kind of problem with the heel cyp pattern on the F last? the inside lateral edge of the heel cup on my new shoes is kind of wierd when my foot is in. It is like there is an excese of leather -if that males any sense
Do you mean that it gaps?

It happens with a Theresianer suede pair in P2 last with dainite to me but not with the calf version of it with leather sole. The lenght of the heel on the Dainite is longer than on the leather sole. Maybe it is because of that? They also have different tongue lenght and the cap toe lenght is different..

Weird now that I think of it.

CWV

Reaction score
Do you mean that it gaps?

It happens with a Theresianer suede pair in P2 last with dainite to me but not with the calf version of it with leather sole. The lenght of the heel on the Dainite is longer than on the leather sole. Maybe it is because of that? They also have different tongue lenght and the cap toe lenght is different..

Weird now that I think of it.
YES and the leather bends wierdke outwards there.
My shoes are alt English in calf and Jr soles

tbaja27

Reaction score

willyto

Reaction score
YES and the leather bends wierdke outwards there.
My shoes are alt English in calf and Jr soles
It's very weird but it happens with some Vass shoes on certain people.

I wonder what is causing the gap and the leather to bend outwards from the feet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads