• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CWV

Reaction score
I just noticed that my shoe trees are 42 and my shoes 42.5. Is that bienal?

shoetree

Reaction score
B556088E-CC4B-4394-AE56-18992A6E532B.jpeg

JFK_88

Reaction score
Hello Vass guys!

I am new to the Vass brand being a big shoe afficinado (and actually Hungarian); even remember seeing Vass's store when as a kid visiting my grandpa in Budapest, but never went inside and never owned a Vass before.

So I have this little project in my mind I hope to realize for quite a while already, namely a lighter suede captoe oxford/balmoral that can be dressed up or down during colder and wet months. However, I know nearly nothing about Vass's fit and which lasts work on my foot, I have never even tried a Vass shoe before.

So my personal grail shoe is the same exact look like this cordovan model from a 1940s or 1950s add:
Perfect Form.jpg

Just imagine that same shoe in Vass's medium brown suede as pictured below from a smiliar model from No Man Walks Alone.

dsc_5983.jpg

dsc_5992.jpg

dsc_5989.jpg

So I have previously ordered a Crockett & Jones Westminster (discontinued model on the supposedly wider 317 last) from the Ben Silver Collection for 730$ and although the shoe fit principally I wasn't perfectly happy with it, the heel was too tight and the proportions of the mid section and captoe were a bit off, captoe was also a bit angled (which I don't like) and overall seemed a bit sausagey as if I'd try to stuff too big of a foot into too small of a shoe. The suede was also more orchre/honey than Vass's medium suede. Anyhow, this C&J model has this sort of English look that I am after.

20210413_194608_resized.jpg

20210413_212235_resized.jpg

20210413_212207_HDR_resized.jpg

So I am asking myself which company could reproduce this for me in a better fitting package? I like TLB Mallorca, but what I am looking for sort of falls in between two of their lasts (Bryan and Goya) and it would be a total custom order to get that right and I am not sure they operate on that level of shoemaking yet, also their Polo suede has a reddish, almost red-brick kind of color hue that I don't dig. So my thinking was maybe Vass could somehow be the right place to look?

What do you guys think, which Vass last and what kind of specifications would go into such a shoe project? Just from apperances F and P2 last, but I can't say for sure. Would you go full bespoke on this or might there be another option? What do you think of my idea, how would you go about this? I'd deeply appreciate any and all constructive input! Thanks!

Attachments

• 20210413_212259_HDR_resized.jpg
    20210413_212259_HDR_resized.jpg
    343 KB · Views: 28
  • 9f9a95e084e8d0f11fefc1bddb63dce4.jpg
    9f9a95e084e8d0f11fefc1bddb63dce4.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 75

Potatoe

Reaction score
Hello Vass guys!

I am new to the Vass brand being a big shoe afficinado (and actually Hungarian); even remember seeing Vass's store when as a kid visiting my grandpa in Budapest, but never went inside and never owned a Vass before.

So I have this little project in my mind I hope to realize for quite a while already, namely a lighter suede captoe oxford/balmoral that can be dressed up or down during colder and wet months. However, I know nearly nothing about Vass's fit and which lasts work on my foot, I have never even tried a Vass shoe before.

So my personal grail shoe is the same exact look like this cordovan model from a 1940s or 1950s add: View attachment 1593333
Just imagine that same shoe in Vass's medium brown suede as pictured below from a smiliar model from No Man Walks Alone.

View attachment 1593335
View attachment 1593334
View attachment 1593336

So I have previously ordered a Crockett & Jones Westminster (discontinued model on the supposedly wider 317 last) from the Ben Silver Collection for 730$ and although the shoe fit principally I wasn't perfectly happy with it, the heel was too tight and the proportions of the mid section and captoe were a bit off, captoe was also a bit angled (which I don't like) and overall seemed a bit sausagey as if I'd try to stuff too big of a foot into too small of a shoe. The suede was also more orchre/honey than Vass's medium suede. Anyhow, this C&J model has this sort of English look that I am after.

View attachment 1593340

View attachment 1593338
View attachment 1593339

So I am asking myself which company could reproduce this for me in a better fitting package? I like TLB Mallorca, but what I am looking for sort of falls in between two of their lasts (Bryan and Goya) and it would be a total custom order to get that right and I am not sure they operate on that level of shoemaking yet, also their Polo suede has a reddish, almost red-brick kind of color hue that I don't dig. So my thinking was maybe Vass could somehow be the right place to look?

What do you guys think, which Vass last and what kind of specifications would go into such a shoe project? Just from apperances F and P2 last, but I can't say for sure. Would you go full bespoke on this or might there be another option? What do you think of my idea, how would you go about this? I'd deeply appreciate any and all constructive input! Thanks!
If you want something to dress "up or down" you should go with a derby not an Oxford.
Derbies dress up, better than Oxford dress down if that makes sense.
A light suede budapester on F last would be a great make up.
Hey mebe we could get a GMTO going on that ?

JFK_88

Reaction score
If you want something to dress "up or down" you should go with a derby not an Oxford.
Derbies dress up, better than Oxford dress down if that makes sense.
A light suede budapester on F last would be a great make up.
Hey mebe we could get a GMTO going on that ?
I totally get what you mean with the dress up and or down difference between Derby's and Oxford, thing is just that I got too many Derby's already and its time to get some more elegant shoes, however, which are still versatile if you get my meaning. If MTO, how would one go about this actually? Directly via Vass or someone or somewhere else? Never participated in an (G)MTO so I don't know the process.

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Email Kuti at [email protected] and you can choose the model and last that is dear to your heart.

I totally get what you mean with the dress up and or down difference between Derby's and Oxford, thing is just that I got too many Derby's already and its time to get some more elegant shoes, however, which are still versatile if you get my meaning. If MTO, how would one go about this actually? Directly via Vass or someone or somewhere else? Never participated in an (G)MTO so I don't know the process.

Meyboom

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads