• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should try 3636 for casual shoes. I stayed away from everything except F and U lasts for a decade, but with the latest sales I could not help but ordered 3636 last. OMG, this last is awesome not bulbous or bumpy on the toe like some brands. Balanced roomy and super comfortable. Perfect with cords or jeans. Between casual Italian and British last in its style.
:devil:
Interesting. Care to shqre side by side pictures?

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3636 is top notch for bluchers should you have a wid-ish foot like mine. Be aware, they run a tad short compared to F and P2.

Potatoe

Reaction score
You should try 3636 for casual shoes. I stayed away from everything except F and U lasts for a decade, but with the latest sales I could not help but ordered 3636 last. OMG, this last is awesome not bulbous or bumpy on the toe like some brands. Balanced roomy and super comfortable. Perfect with cords or jeans. Between casual Italian and British last in its style.
:devil:

Good to know. I assumed it was big and bulky like the BP last so I stayed away from it.

How does it compare to the P2 in terms of profile ?

London_UK

Reaction score
3636 is top notch for bluchers should you have a wid-ish foot like mine. Be aware, they run a tad short compared to F and P2.
Just be careful if you have flat feet, 3636 in a butcher was gapping, ended up getting the K in an Oxford, waiting for delivery. the K in a double monk fits me like a glove no gapping at all.

saurabh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vass Color 8 Budapester Shell High Boots

56161714-E436-44F2-BD4D-0F8A74539B9F.jpeg
D9B698DE-7F6B-420B-9754-2BF76CD5DF2D.jpeg
EACF5E43-DCCA-4D50-A865-7AEC936EAD09.jpeg

jayteee

Reaction score
There is no such thing as "drastically different" once you restrict yourself to GYW shoes above $300. For every small tiny detail added to the shoes, that frankly only you would know about, you are adding hundreds of dollars to the price. And we can all appreciate and admire those details no matter how much they cost. It's a matter of whether we are willing and are able to pay that difference in price.

Just to be clear about where I stand, yes, indeed, if you pay $400 for a pair of Vass, in terms of value almost nothing can come close. BUT not quite, if we are REALLY and HONESTLY looking to maximize value, $450 for a pair of Vass including shipping you are still far away from that optimal spot. Get yourself a pair of Meermin or Allen Edmonds on sale for $200-250 and right there you cut your cost by half and you got yourself a pair that will last as long and look as good.
I have made that very AE vs. Vass calculation and AE can't compete, at least during Vass sales and with the VAT waived for U.S. buyers. I have gotten my Vass for 220 euros (208 euros in one case). AE's by comparison are chunky and bulbous, made of lesser materials, poorly finished and charge extra for shoe trees. I would agree with you if Vass cost the normal $550. In that case I'd get a Fifth Avenue from AE on sale for $250.

sforum1

Reaction score
I have made that very AE vs. Vass calculation and AE can't compete, at least during Vass sales and with the VAT waived for U.S. buyers. I have gotten my Vass for 220 euros (208 euros in one case). AE's by comparison are chunky and bulbous, made of lesser materials, poorly finished and charge extra for shoe trees. I would agree with you if Vass cost the normal $550. In that case I'd get a Fifth Avenue from AE on sale for $250.
agree, Vass is better than AE if you ignore price. I would never argue with that.

Again, the question is, if we were to first sort all shoes from the worst to the best ignoring price, how much is each of us willing to pay to go from one step to the next. For $250 I would of course choose Vass every day of the week. I just would not buy 10 pairs of them if I was also interested in buying some of the better shoes.

sforum1

Reaction score
One thing you need to realize, some men on this forum have dozens and dozens of shoes, so buying ten pairs of something does not seem nearly as excessive to them as it might to you.
They can buy 50 pairs if they want. There is nothing I can do to stop them.

tbaja27

Reaction score
I have a Gold museum calf U-last Oxford coming in! I can't resist Vass museum calf.

LThomsen

Reaction score
I can't differentiate my vass muesum calf uppers from JL rtw muesum calf uppers.

ajay199127

Reaction score
When you say usually a 42, what do you mean by usual? Do you have any prior experience with other known or established shoe makers? If so, let us know your size, last and maker and I'm sure we'll be able to guide you. I own/owned most brands mentioned around these forums, so I'll try to help you as much as I can.
Hey Nabil, Long time, hope all is well. Curious abt the vass U and vass K sizing. The AM soft square birch UK8, I acquired from you, is almost a perfect fit apart from it being slightly tight in the toe box.

So, would you recommend 42 for the K & U last?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads