• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

monkey66

Reaction score
Cross- post from HOF. F last, museum plum.
2021-01-19 10.09.35 copy.jpg
2021-01-19 10.08.20 copy.jpg

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not that I needed more Vass (or shoes in general), but I won an Ebay auction for a Vass V-tip brogue, bordeaux museum calf, F last - at $300. I couldn't say no. Will post pics as soon as they arrive! Loving the start of this year, haha.

Your luck that the Brexit trade agreement is not in place yet you or I would have outbid you ;)

If I buy from the UK now about 26% tax + fees will be added so I let this one go (as all other UK based items)

tbaja27

Reaction score
Your luck that the Brexit trade agreement is not in place yet you or I would have outbid you ;)

If I buy from the UK now about 26% tax + fees will be added so I let this one go (as all other UK based items)

I'll take it! It wasn't a must-have for me so it would have been all yours.

Cheshire symposium

Reaction score

I can’t get my head around the new system. If I am in the UK and import shoes in from the EU; I presume I don’t pay EU VAT (say 19%), but would be charged UK VAT of 20% + custom charges (item specific so I don’t know shoes would be) + handling fees (again unknown amount). So it’s a bit extra, than we would normally pay, but how you get to 26%?

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can’t get my head around the new system. If I am in the UK and import shoes in from the EU; I presume I don’t pay EU VAT (say 19%), but would be charged UK VAT of 20% + custom charges (item specific so I don’t know shoes would be) + handling fees (again unknown amount). So it’s a bit extra, than we would normally pay, but how you get to 26%?

21% VAT, 5% import charges for shoes = 26%
This is calculated on the item price + postage!

Since ebay sales are private sales VAT deduction doesn't apply unfortunately.

Added to that handling charges by the postal carrier equals assrape imo

Cheshire symposium

Reaction score
21% VAT, 5% import charges for shoes = 26%
This is calculated on the item price + postage!

Since ebay sales are private sales VAT deduction doesn't apply unfortunately.

Added to that handling charges by the postal carrier equals assrape imo
Where does the 21% VAT come from? UK VAT is 20%.

I thought that we don't pay VAT in the EU, so saving 19% for Germany fro example.

Wouldn't the net increase be 5% - just covering the import charges?

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where does the 21% VAT come from? UK VAT is 20%.

I thought that we don't pay VAT in the EU, so saving 19% for Germany fro example.

Wouldn't the net increase be 5% - just covering the import charges?

I live in the Netherlands where VAT is 21%. So when buying shoes from outside of the EU, I have to pay 21% + 5% + handling charges. Trust me, got stung multiple times :-(

When buying from a company, VAT from the seller will be deducted, but whe buying from a private seller this wont happen. So, if I bought the Vass shoes from Ebay for 200 UKP + 20 UKP postage for instance, I will get charged 220 UKP = approx. 250 EUR. 26% of 250 EUR is 65 eur. Add approximately 15 eur handling fees which leaves me paying 80 euros extra on top of the 200 UKP the shoes would have cost me before Brexit

So, basically Brexit makes Ebay.co.uk sales significantly more expensive for EU residents

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We are aware of such an increase in Spain. People has stop buying from UK. Retailers there are going to much suffer this f* Brexit for all.

Notch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was talking with a sales agent from AA Crack & Sons, and they told me this: 'As we have signed a free trade agreement with the EU, there are no Tariff Duties due'. So while you will need to pay VAT, I'm not sure about the 5% import charges. If 2 countries or groups of countries sign a free trade agreement, there shouldn't be any import charges.

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was talking with a sales agent from AA Crack & Sons, and they told me this: 'As we have signed a free trade agreement with the EU, there are no Tariff Duties due'. So while you will need to pay VAT, I'm not sure about the 5% import charges. If 2 countries or groups of countries sign a free trade agreement, there shouldn't be any import charges.

True, but the agreement is not in place yet.

From the Dutch government site:

Ordering goods via UK web shops will be the same as ordering goods from outside the EU, such as the US or China. In that case, you will need to pay Dutch VAT (BTW) on products that cost €22 or more. You will also need to pay import duties if products cost more than €150.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Theory is one thing, practice is another. Go and hassle with your courrier and explain them the law and the trade agreement to recover your money. You can also do the same with the etailer. At the moment, anything is possible. Believe me. I w8ll let the time pass by and see prices.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads