• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ThomGault

Reaction score
There have been lots of references to "Vass charm" in this thread, but, really, how much variance is reasonable?
E.g. I purchased some shoes a couple of years ago that were snug, but acceptable; during the black friday sale, I bought 3 pairs that were actually a larger size, but despite the larger size, they were all actually tighter than my original pair. One of the larger shoes was actually so tight that it cut off circulation. I understand that no two pairs of handcrafted shoes will be exactly the same size, but this is ridiculous; the new shoes should be a little bit bigger instead of much smaller.

Satchmo Borealis

Reaction score
There have been lots of references to "Vass charm" in this thread, but, really, how much variance is reasonable?
E.g. I purchased some shoes a couple of years ago that were snug, but acceptable; during the black friday sale, I bought 3 pairs that were actually a larger size, but despite the larger size, they were all actually tighter than my original pair. One of the larger shoes was actually so tight that it cut off circulation. I understand that no two pairs of handcrafted shoes will be exactly the same size, but this is ridiculous; the new shoes should be a little bit bigger instead of much smaller.
Apologies if this seems like a stupid question, but are all the shoes you have bought based on the same last? I have 10 pairs from Vass, across different lasts and in different sizes, from 44.5 to 45.5, depending on the last. I have several pairs from the same last (e.g. 3x U last and 2x P last) and have not noticed any differences at all. I may have been lucky, but based on the number of members who have taken advantage of the sales and bought several pairs these last months, it appears I am not alone :bigstar:

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1. I will add that with the same last in different models fit might be different, but never shorter or larger in size.

ThomGault

Reaction score
Apologies if this seems like a stupid question, but are all the shoes you have bought based on the same last?
+1. I will add that with the same last in different models fit might be different, but never shorter or larger in size.

The shoes were not just the same last, but the exact same model; the only official difference was the color and the new purchases being +0.5 size, and yet the new theoretically larger shoes are all much tighter than the previous shoes of a -0.5 listed size. I can't fathom how it's possible...and Vass isn't responding to my email :confused2:

tbaja27

Reaction score
20201204_105956.jpg

Dark brown museum day!

sforum1

Reaction score
Very nice combination! The shoe fit seems to be perfect (including the lace closures). F-Last ? How did you size in F last compared to your Brannock size?
actually, the lace closure seems to have a little extra room. But I could be wrong.

sforum1

Reaction score
The shoes were not just the same last, but the exact same model; the only official difference was the color and the new purchases being +0.5 size, and yet the new theoretically larger shoes are all much tighter than the previous shoes of a -0.5 listed size. I can't fathom how it's possible...and Vass isn't responding to my email :confused2:
The same happened to me. So that's almost a full-size difference for the same printed size. I now dare you to go half a size bigger, since this one is tight, and you'll see what will happen. You may end up literally swimming in them.

I think what actually happens is that the people who work on the shoes, use the wrong size last. For example, you submit an MTO for a size 43.5, the guy starts with a last 43 so you end up with a size 43 even though it says 43.5 on the shoe. In some cases, their lasts may be mislabeled altogether so the guy could not have possibly known. In theory, should investigate all these complaints and get to the source of the problem and fix it but there is no quality control at all. They will never admit it. You just need to suck it up and keep trying. I wish you the best of luck.

Last edited:

tbaja27

Reaction score
Very nice combination! The shoe fit seems to be perfect (including the lace closures). F-Last ? How did you size in F last compared to your Brannock size?
F last. 42EU - 8UK.

Same size I take in the U & P last from Vass, Rain/IInca from Carmina, as a reference. Fit is terrific on these.

Reactions: SRV

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads