• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sforum1

Reaction score
width of the K and F are similar around the middle part of your foot and in terms of instep. However K is much slimmer in the toe box vs the F last
But what does that mean? If it's wider in the middle but it's narrower in the toebox to the point you have to go up sizes to make up for that, what good does it do that it's wider in the middle? Does that mean that it was built for a special shape of foot and that's what the 'ovidal' stuff comes in?

gmehra

Reaction score
But what does that mean? If it's wider in the middle but it's narrower in the toebox to the point you have to go up sizes to make up for that, what good does it do that it's wider in the middle? Does that mean that it was built for a special shape of foot and that's what the 'ovidal' stuff comes in?
I am just telling you how they fit, can't answer your other questions

sforum1

Reaction score
I am just telling you how they fit, can't answer your other questions
No, actually that's pretty insightful. In fact, that is exactly what the definition of 'ovoid' is:

Like an egg, it's wider in the middle and it's starting to get narrow pretty quickly, like the K last that is wide in the middle in both dimensions (width + instep, because, remember, 'ovoid' refers to a 3-dimensional object like an egg) and with a narrower toebox.

Makes sense now.

That would be the 4th pic from the left (or the second or the last one, you get the idea), and imagine that with a high instep too. But it would not work with feet like the first pic, or even worse, the 6th.

Your-Foot-Shape-and-Your-Genealogy.jpg

Last edited:

jayteee

Reaction score
In practice, it means the ball of your foot fits fine but the outside of your big and little toes will be constricted if your foot is average sized. Some people don't mind suffering for fashion, or else their foot is narrow enough to fit into the pointy toe. In my case, I could wear U and K for a couple hours, provided I didn't need to walk much, but wouldn't stroll around a city in them.

Jan Capek

Reaction score
I am serious yes. A bit like some cars you may choose between some years or some miles guarantee, and it seems relevant
I think Vass would have to charge us 1000 dollars per regular priced pair to guarantee such services to its customers.

sforum1

Reaction score
I think Vass would have to charge us 1000 dollars per regular priced pair to guarantee such services to its customers.
But what if they also sold extended warranty on top of the factory warranty?

Vamp-ire

Reaction score
Anyone know much about the FB last? Just lo9ks like a slightly roomier F last, I'm a solid 10D so I hope it fits in size 43

kurenai

Reaction score
That cognac grain in 42 is dope as hell.

Sadly its not versatile enough for me to pull the trigger at full price

monkey66

Reaction score
But what if they also sold extended warranty on top of the factory warranty?
I sorry but this is not a serious suggestion. What percentage of shoes go 'faulty'. How could you account for storage conditions, dried leather, usage rate, sole wear rate, weather, temperature extremes etc.

Shoes are made of mainly organic material such as leather, cork, glue, cotton, wool, steel, brass. These materials have many variables.

Even if one built a warranty offering it would be such a small take-up that it would not cover it's costs.

Any kind of extended warranty is essentially an insurance policy. Underwriting a warranty (on any scale) involves resource and risk. A big ask for any small company.

It is always a shame when we are let down by a product that fails but extended warranty's on clothing is not reasonably viable by any measure I can imagine.

Last edited:

Jan Capek

Reaction score
I sorry but this is not a serious suggestion. What percentage of shoes go 'faulty'. How could you account for storage conditions, dried leather, temperature extremes etc.

Shoes are made of organic material such as leather, cork, glue, cotton wool. These materials have many variables.

It is always a shame when we are let down by a product that fails but extended warranty's on clothing is not reasonably viable by any measure.

On this note, I have about 12 pairs from Vass, and not a single one with defects (one had a leather damage, but it was sold as such and discounted). True, there's only a small mileage on some of them, but one develops an intuitive feel as to the sturdiness relatively early on.

I am discounting, of course, the Vass Charm (two shoes on the same last, in the same size, being.... I will not say different, I will say hand-made).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads