• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jayteee

Reaction score
I mean, it makes sense, it's just not how it works. A company definitely COULD have a policy like this, what doesn't make sense is expecting it as standard, you'd need some legal leg to stand on.
Makes sense for cars, but not for shoes. Small family shoemakers can't account for that on their books year over year. And shoes don't come with mileage meters!

Stigland

Reaction score
Makes sense for cars, but not for shoes. Small family shoemakers can't account for that on their books year over year. And shoes don't come with mileage meters!

No, agreed, but it's not unheard of for companies making other things than cars to have lifetime guarantees. I'm not saying it's a profitable idea, I'm just saying it's not parallel-universe-levels of strange which some of these replies seem to suggest.

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am serious yes. A bit like some cars you may choose between some years or some miles guarantee, and it seems relevant

You’re buying a 500-600$ pair of shoes...not a 50k watch or even a 5k suit. It’s still very much a mass product from a small company.

don’t get me wrong; understand the frustration but unless you go bespoke I wouldn’t be expecting this kind of service..

sforum1

Reaction score
Hi,

I need some advice. I just got a pair of chukkas from Vass.

I used this model from Ascot as my reference:

View attachment 1503578

I got these:

View attachment 1503576

To me they look much more slim, less shaped along the sides, and pointier than the reference shoe.

I was assured by Vass that the reference pair was on the K-last, but they look more like my U-Lasts when I compare it now.

What do you think?
you need to realize that the shape and structure is a hallmark of good quality in shoes. How do you usually tell if a pair of shoes is a $100 one purchased at Macy's? One way I can (in addition to other ways of course) is by the lack of shape. I was watching a video by Santoni where they mentioned that a pair of shoes to be done properly, would have to stay on the last for 6 or so weeks. This is to get that shape. If you don't do that, then you end up with a shoe that's more like their cheaper line of shoes that are lacking all those beautiful curves. Of course the amount and quality of stiffeners is a factor too, but at the end, everything is a factor.

Vass these days when they have to produce a lot more shoes faster and at a lower cost, so you can enjoy the lower prices you get, has it occurred to you that they might be cutting corners? It occurred to me, and while I don't know for a fact of course, I have a certain degree of confidence about certain things.

In any case, if I saw the pics above, I would guess the one at the top is a better shoe. But you won't get anyone to admit that anything different was done. You might not be an expert but 'experts' are a dime a dozen. As a rule of thumb, trust your eyes, and don't let others tell you that what you are seeing is not really what you are seeing. If one pair looks to you that is has more shape, then it has more shape, period.

Speaking of Santonis, I have both Limited Edition pairs and their Goodyear pairs. Now bear in mind that the Goodyear shoes are regarded to be very good shoes. But if you put them side by side at a certain distance, with the quality of the leather not being a factor since they have the same leather almost to begin with, you can tell that one pair is far superior and more expensive than the other. And this is all because of the shape and the curves.

And it can be suede and has all the structure you want. Suede has NOTHING to do with lack of structure:

tumblr_nqi14bQuSI1qj30hzo5_1280.jpg

Last edited:

ultramantaro

Reaction score
Great deals going on and free shipping included if you buy 2 or more items per order. Unfortunately, both models I want are out of stock in my size.

How did you get the free shipping to show up? I tried with two pairs earlier and didn't see free shipping applied.

Stigland

Reaction score
you need to realize that the shape and structure is a hallmark of good quality in shoes.

What did I say to indicate that I don't realize that shape is a hallmark of good quality?

Either way I'm not looking to go all conspiratorial. Both Vass and Ascot have now confirmed that these are indeed both on the K-Last, and they've been good enough to me in the past 7 years to earn the benefit of the doubt.

The pair received are fantastic (and have plenty of shape), it was only a question of whether they had used the right last or not.

sforum1

Reaction score
What did I say to indicate that I don't realize that shape is a hallmark of good quality?

Either way I'm not looking to go all conspiratorial. Both Vass and Ascot have now confirmed that these are indeed both on the K-Last, and they've been good enough to me in the past 7 years to earn the benefit of the doubt.

The pair received are fantastic (and have plenty of shape), it was only a question of whether they had used the right last or not.
how can Vass 'confirm' that a pair on a random pic is of this or that last? I've asked a question like that before and they were all over the place. My conclusion then was that they can't even tell the difference between their own lasts. U and K specifically. Maybe the guy who designed them can in a millisecond but don't hold your breath that the people who replied to you had the slightest clue. But if they had to give an answer, then that answer would have to be what you wanted to hear.

But if you love your shoes so much, that's all that matters.

Man with a suitcase

Reaction score
Someone please tell me about the F last. I’ve got a somewhat wide foot I’m told. Not quite Fred Flintsone but ballet or Asian servitude is probably out of the question for me, barring surgery.

Budapesters, R last are fine for me. Not heavenly or anything but they look great and are comfortable.

Can my dogs deal with F or am I just going to stretch out an expensive pair of shoes and look like a style dork for wearing them? Help a style brother out, would you?

inazuma

Reaction score
You’re buying a 500-600$ pair of shoes...not a 50k watch or even a 5k suit. It’s still very much a mass product from a small company.

don’t get me wrong; understand the frustration but unless you go bespoke I wouldn’t be expecting this kind of service..

In fact i had a similar issue with my vintage Weston, they took the shoes, checked they were noisy as i was saying, send them for a repair, and gave them back to me, and didn't ask for any penny.
The price range is approx the same, probably Weston produces more shoes than Vass per year, I concede.

lexmann

Reaction score
Someone bought the 6 eyelets wholecut size 42.5 that I had been eyeing at! Damned but thank you for saving my money.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads