• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I need some advice. I just got a pair of chukkas from Vass.

I used this model from Ascot as my reference:

View attachment 1503578

I got these:

View attachment 1503576

To me they look much more slim, less shaped along the sides, and pointier than the reference shoe.

What do you think?
Are they the same last and/or width? What about size difference (although, proportions should be the same)? Maybe it's the fact that yours are suede. It's a looser fabric and more forgiving. This is the reason suede shoes tend to run larger than calf shoes.

Beautiful pair, BTW.

Stigland

Reaction score
Are they the same last? Maybe it's the fact that yours are suede. It's a looser fabric and more forgiving. This is the reason suede shoes tend to run larger than calf shoes.

I was assured by Vass that the reference pair was on the K-last, so that's what I ordered. But the refernce looks more like my U-Lasts now that I compare.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was assured by Vass that the reference pair was on the K-last, so that's what I ordered. But the refernce looks more like my U-Lasts now that I compare.
What about width and size, although the latter should render the same proportions irrespective of size. Maybe it's an optical illusion. You could contact Ascot and ask about the last and confirm it.

Stigland

Reaction score
What about width and size, although the latter should render the same proportions irrespective of size. Maybe it's an optical illusion. You could contact Ascot and ask about the last and confirm it.

The reference is size 8 (no width specified), and mine are size 9. Width could be the issue though, I'll contact Ascot, thanks for the tip!

Satchmo Borealis

Reaction score
not sure it's the best post but i'm a bit dissapointed with the Vass customer care.

I've bought some shoes from them, some years ago, worn them a couple a time only, and the shoes have became very noisy when walking with them.

I've sent an email to them and they told me they could repair them for 150€ (changing the sole).
I'm pretty sure it's a problem with the shank like it usually is when shoes are noisy, and i'm outraged for this level of prices brand, the shank is not better fixed than that, or that they do not consider that problem as a quality problem and therefore they take care of it for free.

I won't advice Vass shoes anymore unfortunately.
Sir,
First of all, it is a shame that you are having issues with your shoes which I am certain you acquired with great expectations like most of us here. However, as you say, you bought them "some years ago" and in my humble opinion, I believe that Vass have been fair. Naturally, you are disappointed, but try seeing it from Vass' perspective; they have absolutely no idea how you have treated the shoes over the past years. As such, it does not make much difference whether it is the shank or not.

Consumer protection in most countries gives you one year to complain, not "some years". Granted, Vass can be deemed a luxury good, but not similar to Louis Vuitton or Hermes. Indeed, most of us buy the shoes due to their individual design, handmade quality and exactly because they are not a household "brand". The handmade nature also means there will be "imperfections" or variations, but my experience after having bought 10 pairs (two are on their way) and worn most more than "a couple of times" is that the quality is superb and at this price point you'd be hard pressed to find anything better.

I'd advice you to accept the €150 charge or (given that you have only worn the shoes a few times over a longer period) buy a new pair in the sales. Anyway, I wouldn't judge anyone based on one data point - life's too short!

Stigland

Reaction score

FYI Ascot confirmed it was definitely the same last.

Satchmo Borealis

Reaction score
Hi,

I need some advice. I just got a pair of chukkas from Vass.

I used this model from Ascot as my reference:

View attachment 1503578

I got these:

View attachment 1503576

To me they look much more slim, less shaped along the sides, and pointier than the reference shoe.

I was assured by Vass that the reference pair was on the K-last, but they look more like my U-Lasts when I compare it now.

What do you think?
It is difficult to say, but I had a look at my recently arrived U-Last (beauty of home office...) in size 45.5 and the shape looks very similar to your reference shoe. Indeed I was suprised by how pointy the U-Last looks as I have just ordered another pair, half a size down:eek:
Sadly I don't have K-Last so cannot compare, but my impression is that they are pointier still.

inazuma

Reaction score
Sir,
First of all, it is a shame that you are having issues with your shoes which I am certain you acquired with great expectations like most of us here. However, as you say, you bought them "some years ago" and in my humble opinion, I believe that Vass have been fair. Naturally, you are disappointed, but try seeing it from Vass' perspective; they have absolutely no idea how you have treated the shoes over the past years. As such, it does not make much difference whether it is the shank or not.

Consumer protection in most countries gives you one year to complain, not "some years". Granted, Vass can be deemed a luxury good, but not similar to Louis Vuitton or Hermes. Indeed, most of us buy the shoes due to their individual design, handmade quality and exactly because they are not a household "brand". The handmade nature also means there will be "imperfections" or variations, but my experience after having bought 10 pairs (two are on their way) and worn most more than "a couple of times" is that the quality is superb and at this price point you'd be hard pressed to find anything better.

I'd advice you to accept the €150 charge or (given that you have only worn the shoes a few times over a longer period) buy a new pair in the sales. Anyway, I wouldn't judge anyone based on one data point - life's too short!

Thanks for your answer, that's why i told them i would appreciate if they answered me something like "due to the circumstances you explained, we could propose you that you send back your shoes to us, if the issue came from the structure of the shoes we will repair them for free, otherwise if we conclude the issue came from an anormal use then you'll be asked to pay the repair".

I won't pay €150 to resole my Vass by Vass, given that the problem could happen again. For that price, i'll ask my cobbler to resole them and have a look on the shank, we'll see whet he'll find.

I've about 50 pair of shoes, so I do not wear them often, except my favorites ones, so i'm not sure about the merits of one year guarantee for some shoes (if i wear my shoes every single day during the first year VS i wear them 3 or 4 times a year over a period of several years) - I would have appreciated if they told me to send us for expertise. My 2 cents

I should probably add something. Those shoes were ordered when I was in Budapest, and when received them - there was an obvious quality issue. I've send them back in order they manufacture the shoes again, I suspect the second pair was made below theirs quality standards

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So you want a guarantee longer than a year because you don’t wear individual pairs often? Are you serious?

inazuma

Reaction score
So you want a guarantee longer than a year because you don’t wear individual pairs often? Are you serious?

I am serious yes. A bit like some cars you may choose between some years or some miles guarantee, and it seems relevant

Stigland

Reaction score
I mean, it makes sense, it's just not how it works. A company definitely COULD have a policy like this, what doesn't make sense is expecting it as standard, you'd need some legal leg to stand on.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am serious yes. A bit like some cars you may choose between some years or some miles guarantee, and it seems relevant
The car has a counter. How are you going to determine how many miles the shoes have been... running?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads