• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ThomGault

Reaction score
They're well above Carmina in terms of quality. It's not even close.

With regards to fit, it depends on your feet. I own shoes from Vass, Carmina, Meermin, Edward Green, John Lobb, Enzo Bonafe, Bestetti, Antonio Meccariello, Crockett & Jones, Alfred Sargent (might have missed some) and I can say with confidence that Vass are my favourites. I find myself always going back to my Vass both when dressing and when considering a new purchase.

Of those brands and their lasts, are any particularly better suited to flat feet?

Potatoe

Reaction score
Definitely, all the brands we talk about are fantastic you can't really go wrong. Sometimes we just have slight differences and preferences and wardrobes that we pair it our shoes with. People might think I'm crazy but I think Carmina has better lasts than Enzo Bonafe. For a shell cordovan shoe, I would pick Enzo Bonafe over Carmina and Vass. If I had to introduce a brand to a friend, I would probably pick Carmina because I think it's more approachable and no risk of Vass charm. The stiffness of a Vass shoe can also turn people off if they're not used to it.

All good points.

The lasts are clearly subjective, that said the F and the Forrest sure do look similar in pictures. Ditto for Rain and U last. All four are very well regarded.

I have no clue on leather quality.

Carmina clearly runs a more professional and larger operation with what seems to be more consistency and better CS. Vass Charm is a thing.

That said It would be hard not to agree that the hand welting and JR soles put Vass a clear notch up in terms of construction. These things do not seem to be subjective.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All good points.

The lasts are clearly subjective, that said the F and the Forrest sure do look similar in pictures. Ditto for Rain and U last. All four are very well regarded.

I have no clue on leather quality.

Carmina clearly runs a more professional and larger operation with what seems to be more consistency and better CS. Vass Charm is a thing.

That said It would be hard not to agree that the hand welting and JR soles put Vass a clear notch up in terms of construction. These things do not seem to be subjective.
Just FYI Carmina uses JR soles as well.

Potatoe

Reaction score
Just FYI Carmina uses JR soles as well.
Oh, that's good to know.

The pictures on the site all show Carmina branded soles but it would make sense that they bring then in and use their own markers.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, that's good to know.

The pictures on the site all show Carmina branded soles but it would make sense that they bring then in and use their own markers.
Sorry, let me clarify. They offer both, you just have to look at the model.

tbaja27

Reaction score
Oh, that's good to know.

That's not what he meant.

Carmina can use JR soles (GMTOs, Shell etc.). My pairs of Carmina are all "Carmina" branded soles

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they come stock on the Cordovan models that have leather soles.

Cheshire symposium

Reaction score
They're well above Carmina in terms of quality. It's not even close.

With regards to fit, it depends on your feet. I own shoes from Vass, Carmina, Meermin, Edward Green, John Lobb, Enzo Bonafe, Bestetti, Antonio Meccariello, Crockett & Jones, Alfred Sargent (might have missed some) and I can say with confidence that Vass are my favourites. I find myself always going back to my Vass both when dressing and when considering a new purchase.
The problem with Vass is their unattractive lasts, not the build quality.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of those brands and their lasts, are any particularly better suited to flat feet?
Not sure to be honest as I don't have flat feet. But Gaziano & Girling, Vass and Bestetti are not amongst them as they fit my feet pretty well.

vmss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, of course. In terms of fit I feel like Vass and Bestetti supports my feet best. In terms of bang for the buck, Vass are unbeatable imo. Hence, they're my favorite: most value and more comfortable than the rest. But depending on foot support and shape, you might prefer something else.

As someone else mentioned, I prefer Carmina lasts to Bonafe as well. The latter are to sharp and, I don't know how to put it, but kind of "edge-y".
Yes, of course. In terms of fit I feel like Vass and Bestetti supports my feet best. In terms of bang for the buck, Vass are unbeatable imo. Hence, they're my favorite: most value and more comfortable than the rest. But depending on foot support and shape, you might prefer something else.

As someone else mentioned, I prefer Carmina lasts to Bonafe as well. The latter are to sharp and, I don't know how to put it, but kind of "edge-y".
Not all EB lasts are sharp and edgy.The 804 and 74945 are not edgy at all. I find the 74945 last to be one of the better looking last in rtw.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The problem with Vass is their unattractive lasts, not the build quality.
Opinions are like nipples, everybody has one. Some have firm points, others are barely discernible through layers, and some are displayed at every opportunity regardless of whether the audience has stated, "I am interested in your nipples," or not. Cats have nineteen.

Joking aside, I personally believe the Vass' F last together with Gaziano & Girling's GG06 last are the most beautiful round lasts there is. As for chiseled lasts, I think that Vass' U is excellent as well. The rest, I don't find as attractive. I know where you're coming from though. Some of the other lasts are acquired taste kind of lasts. They're unique and a testament to the type of preferences in Eastern Europe.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not all EB lasts are sharp and edgy.The 804 and 74945 are not edgy at all. I find the 74945 last to be one of the better looking last in rtw.
That is true. I like the 804 last. But many of their lasts feels rough and to abruptly cut at the front. I also don't like the wide sole edges. But that's my opinion only.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads