• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wasn't planning on buying more shoes after my last P2 Theresianer directly from Vass and an Ebay find suede Theresianer P2 but I got my hands on a pair of F last budapester on Ebay for 146€ bid + shipping so I couldn't control myself. Can't wait to receive them and treat them properly, they seem to be in very good condition.

This way I can try the F last without spending too much.

R9fWvHq.jpg

xiR7tPe.jpg

Wtp5Gsu.jpg

mm3RNdp.jpg

At this rate my Vass shoes rotation will be really big! I'm being true to myself with the only handwelted shoes purchases.
Nice pair!

willyto

Reaction score
Are you all gonna continue to buy Vass till you drop? How many pairs does each of you have by now?
Can't beat Vass at these price points. I think it's just crazy not to buy them to be honest, makes for a healthy rotation of shoes and will last a lifetime.

I walk a lot and have put many Kilometers on my shoes and by far Vass are the most comfortable to walk in, specially in cobbled streets around Europe and in rainy days.

Makes no sense to consider other brands at the original price point let alone at the sale prices. You won't get better quality for the price. You just have to like their lasts and finishing.

I think I am at 8 pairs now and I got 3 this year for the price of a regular price pair ~600€ . I have one pair to sell and still considering if I should purchase another pair or a couple from the sale... yeah it's like an addiction but you know... shoes last years, specially if you rotate them.

Reaction score
I’m a newcomer to Vass interested in purchasing a pair or two. I would like to dial in the fit, and happy to initiate an MTO if that’s what it takes. But I want to ask for advice from those who have experience with the brand- if you could start from the beginning, how would you go about determining your size? I don’t believe there are any stockists in the US.

tbaja27

Reaction score
I’m a newcomer to Vass interested in purchasing a pair or two. I would like to dial in the fit, and happy to initiate an MTO if that’s what it takes. But I want to ask for advice from those who have experience with the brand- if you could start from the beginning, how would you go about determining your size? I don’t believe there are any stockists in the US.

You write in this thread what size you currently wear in what lasts from what brands. That should kick it off

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you all gonna continue to buy Vass till you drop? How many pairs does each of you have by now?

I have two and one on the way, and if the norweger in antique cognac in leather soles where available in my size there will be 4 pairs in my rotation by the end of the year. Vass is amazing.

tbaja27

Reaction score
Question: What were Vass prices pre-COVID? Are we seeing significant differences?
I wasn't looking much into the brand, say, last year.

Thanks!

(Yes, I'm looking to justify more Vass) ha

Potatoe

Reaction score
Question: What were Vass prices pre-COVID? Are we seeing significant differences?
I wasn't looking much into the brand, say, last year.

Thanks!

(Yes, I'm looking to justify more Vass) ha

I think they were 500 to 600 USD pre covid.

For the record this is still an excellent price, especially if you consider the lasted trees and toe taps to be of value.

I do, as I wouldn't buy a pair of nice shoes without both.

To put it in perspective, a pair of Carmina Oxfords($530) with Taps(45) and Trees($124) costs $699.

Not to get into a debate here as I don't own a pair of Carmina, but the general consensus seems to be that Vass are a rung above Carmina.

This is why Ascot was able to mark them up so much. It is quite justifiable to sell VASS for well over $700.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own 2 pairs on the F last and just don't find them as comfortable as say my Carmina, Enzo Bonafe, etc.

WhyUEarly

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find the opposite. Maybe it's because I walk a lot. I find Vass to be more comfortable than Enzo Bonafe and Carmina. My feet don't feel like they get the same support from a pair of Enzo Bonafe and Carmina, which do seem to be more flexible typically. I will say that the Rain and Forest last are very beautiful and comfortable by RTW standards

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're well above Carmina in terms of quality. It's not even close.

With regards to fit, it depends on your feet. I own shoes from Vass, Carmina, Meermin, Edward Green, John Lobb, Enzo Bonafe, Bestetti, Antonio Meccariello, Gaziano & Girling, Crockett & Jones, Alfred Sargent (might have missed some) and I can say with confidence that Vass are my favourites. I find myself always going back to my Vass both when dressing and when considering a new purchase.

Last edited:

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find the opposite. Maybe it's because I walk a lot. I find Vass to be more comfortable than Enzo Bonafe and Carmina. My feet don't feel like they get the same support from a pair of Enzo Bonafe and Carmina, which do seem to be more flexible typically. I will say that the Rain and Forest last are very beautiful and comfortable by RTW standards

With regards to fit, it depends on your feet. I own shoes from Vass, Carmina, Meermin, Edward Green, John Lobb, Enzo Bonafe, Bestetti, Antonio Meccariello, Crockett & Jones, Alfred Sargent (might have missed some) and I can say with confidence that Vass are my favourites. I find myself always going back to my Vass both when dressing and when considering a new purchase.
Definitely has to be a different strokes thing. I like my two pair of boots, but don't really feel drawn to pick up another pair

WhyUEarly

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely has to be a different strokes thing. I like my two pair of boots, but don't really feel drawn to pick up another pair
Definitely, all the brands we talk about are fantastic you can't really go wrong. Sometimes we just have slight differences and preferences and wardrobes that we pair it our shoes with. People might think I'm crazy but I think Carmina has better lasts than Enzo Bonafe. For a shell cordovan shoe, I would pick Enzo Bonafe over Carmina and Vass. If I had to introduce a brand to a friend, I would probably pick Carmina because I think it's more approachable and no risk of Vass charm. The stiffness of a Vass shoe can also turn people off if they're not used to it.

tbaja27

Reaction score

With regards to fit, it depends on your feet. I own shoes from Vass, Carmina, Meermin, Edward Green, John Lobb, Enzo Bonafe, Bestetti, Antonio Meccariello, Crockett & Jones, Alfred Sargent (might have missed some) and I can say with confidence that Vass are my favourites. I find myself always going back to my Vass both when dressing and when considering a new purchase.
I have 6-7 pairs of Carmina. I think they're great shoes and I like them a lot.
Vass makes a superior shoe, however. Vass is love.

End of story.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, of course. In terms of fit I feel like Vass and Bestetti supports my feet best. In terms of bang for the buck, Vass are unbeatable imo. Hence, they're my favorite: most value and more comfortable than the rest. But depending on foot support and shape, you might prefer something else.

As someone else mentioned, I prefer Carmina lasts to Bonafe as well. The latter are to sharp and, I don't know how to put it, but kind of "edge-y".

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely, all the brands we talk about are fantastic you can't really go wrong. Sometimes we just have slight differences and preferences and wardrobes that we pair it our shoes with. People might think I'm crazy but I think Carmina has better lasts than Enzo Bonafe. For a shell cordovan shoe, I would pick Enzo Bonafe over Carmina and Vass. If I had to introduce a brand to a friend, I would probably pick Carmina because I think it's more approachable and no risk of Vass charm. The stiffness of a Vass shoe can also turn people off if they're not used to it.
I agree with every single one of these points

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads