• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Potatoe

Reaction score
I can only attest to this. The F is my absolute favorite followed by the U. And the museum calf is not only great looking, but wears very comfortably as well.

The Museum leather is really nice on my pair. That said, I think I prefer it on shoes with a lot less broguing as they look quite busy to me.

I think it looks a lot better on the Alt English or the London 5.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Museum leather is really nice on my pair. That said, I think I prefer it on shoes with a lot less broguing as they look quite busy to me.

I think it looks a lot better on the Alt English or the London 5.
I think it depends. The mottling pronunciation really varies depending on leather batches. I have a pair of semi brogues from Vass in dark brown museum that are really subtle. It's not busy at all, but understand that it's a matter of taste https://www.styleforum.net/buyandsell/vass-brown-museum-calf-balmoral-medallion-f-last-eu41.23860/

Potatoe

Reaction score
I think it depends. The mottling pronunciation really varies depending on leather batches. I have a pair of semi brogues from Vass in dark brown museum that are really subtle. It's not busy at all, but understand that it's a matter of taste https://www.styleforum.net/buyandsell/vass-brown-museum-calf-balmoral-medallion-f-last-eu41.23860/

Yeah the brown looks nice with the broging.

My Gold Budapersters are very Busy :). I would probably keep it simple with gold and perhaps even Walnut.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah the brown looks nice with the broging.

My Gold Budapersters are very Busy :). I would probably keep it simple with gold and perhaps even Walnut.
I understand what you mean. Do you have pics?

I usually always ask for a piece of leather that is dark and with subtle mottling when going with MTO.

tbaja27

Reaction score
I can only attest to this. The F is my absolute favorite followed by the U. And the museum calf is not only great looking, but wears very comfortably as well.

Question: What do you use to wax/polish museum calf? Natural wax? Or..?

Thanks!

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question: What do you use to wax/polish museum calf? Natural wax? Or..?

Thanks!
Same colour but lighter to not mute the museum effect even more but enough to keep the natural colour. Black on the toe caps to get a burnished finished. All products from Saphir.

tbaja27

Reaction score
Same colour but lighter to not mute the museum effect even more but enough to keep the natural colour. Black on the toe caps to get a burnished finished. All products from Saphir.
Yep. Love Saphir.

Thanks.

I was also thinking the neutral mirror gloss for the cap toes to bring that extra spark out!

willyto

Reaction score
I wasn't planning on buying more shoes after my last P2 Theresianer directly from Vass and an Ebay find suede Theresianer P2 but I got my hands on a pair of F last budapester on Ebay for 146€ bid + shipping so I couldn't control myself. Can't wait to receive them and treat them properly, they seem to be in very good condition.

This way I can try the F last without spending too much.

R9fWvHq.jpg

xiR7tPe.jpg

Wtp5Gsu.jpg

mm3RNdp.jpg

At this rate my Vass shoes rotation will be really big! I'm being true to myself with the only handwelted shoes purchases.

jayteee

Reaction score
I wear a US11.5 medium. I also have the Budapest Oxford U in size 44.5. They are too small and I'm sending back for a size 45. I'm waiting on a return label from Vass.
I'm a 11.5 Medium and my U last 45 was too narrow in the toes.
Yep. Love Saphir.

Thanks.

I was also thinking the neutral mirror gloss for the cap toes to bring that extra spark out!
I tried using a lighter color on my brown museum but it left a film over the darker color. So I've stuck with renovateur or used the darker color polish.

jayteee

Reaction score
Are you all gonna continue to buy Vass till you drop? How many pairs does each of you have by now?
I've bought eight pairs this year, but four didn't fit! Had to sell at a small markup. That's the drawback of buying blind online. U and K lasts were toe squeezers and R last too roomy.

sforum1

Reaction score
I've bought eight pairs this year, but four didn't fit! Had to sell at a small markup. That's the drawback of buying blind online. U and K lasts were toe squeezers and R last too roomy.
I have to say, 4 out of 8 consider yourself winning the lottery.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics