• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do toe taps ever come loose?
They've come loose twice in 15 years for me when my local cobbler put them on. Usually, the leather sole wears out before the taps come loose. But with Redenbach soles, which are ~2,5x more enduring than regular soles, chances are that you might experience loose taps. But if done properly and worn normally, they shouldn't.

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally got my response from Vass, they cannot sell me the RTW model of my size (my size ran out on the website) with the discounted price.

I did recall I see someone making this happen, can you please share details on how you communicate with Vass (Sorry, tried to search the last 10 pages for the original post but failed)

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally got my response from Vass, they cannot sell me the RTW model of my size (my size ran out on the website) with the discounted price.

I did recall I see someone making this happen, can you please share details on how you communicate with Vass (Sorry, tried to search the last 10 pages for the original post but failed)
It was me. Pretty straight forward, tbh. I purchased a pair. They confirmed the payment. I answered the email and inquired about another shoe that was reduced but out of stock in my size (asked if they had my size in store). They said no, but said they would check with the team if they could produce a pair for me. Got an email the next day in which they confirmed that they'd make a pair for me for the reduced price. I didn't ask for it, they kind of offered it.

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was me. Pretty straight forward, tbh. I purchased a pair. They confirmed the payment. I answered the email and inquired about another shoe that was reduced but out of stock in my size (asked if they had my size in store). They said no, but said they would check with the team if they could produce a pair for me. Got an email the next day in which they confirmed that they'd make a pair for me for the reduced price. I didn't ask for it, they kind of offered it.
Thank you so much for sharing your experience, sadly it doesn't work for me that way lol.

I bought a pair of boots a month ago. This time I simply ask them if there will be a restock on the specific model (Grey Museum Budapest in F last) I want, it took quite some follow up to get a response, and they told me they ran out of grey museum leather, they also told me that they can keep me posted if they restock this leather.

Frankly, I just want a Budapest model in F last, quite flexible on the leather so I told them I would take any leather as long as I can still use the discount, but the response is even if they have the grey museum leather they won't be able to sell me at the same discount cuz they have to make it from start balabala...

tbaja27

Reaction score
Thank you so much for sharing your experience, sadly it doesn't work for me that way lol.

I bought a pair of boots a month ago. This time I simply ask them if there will be a restock on the specific model (Grey Museum Budapest in F last) I want, it took quite some follow up to get a response, and they told me they ran out of grey museum leather, they also told me that they can keep me posted if they restock this leather.

Frankly, I just want a Budapest model in F last, quite flexible on the leather so I told them I would take any leather as long as I can still use the discount, but the response is even if they have the grey museum leather they won't be able to sell me at the same discount cuz they have to make it from start balabala...

I asked them if I can get a pair of the Alt English F last in black in my size - as it ran out of stock. They said we can make it, but for 30 Euros more as they need to order the leather. So overall still a good deal - 380 + 40 shipping.

Yet to decide if I want to go for that or order something else. The "FREESHIPPING" coupon ain't helping me control myself ?

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I asked them if I can get a pair of the Alt English F last in black in my size - as it ran out of stock. They said we can make it, but for 30 Euros more as they need to order the leather. So overall still a good deal - 380 + 40 shipping.

Yet to decide if I want to go for that or order something else
Thanks.. Yeah I probably should not assumed it'd be full price - they may give me some not-too-bad discount just like your case, but I wasn't so bothered by this. I do have some other Vass models in mind, and a lot more from other makers. It appears that they released a couple sample models every couples weeks, maybe I will see another F last Budapest in 41 in next release:) :p

duffyfluffy123

Reaction score
I just found this. Not sure about the weight though.

Too expensive for my budget, but damn I think it's something I would buy if I'd have the chance to!

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just acquired these beauties some weeks ago:
https://vass-shoes.com/shop/budapest-oxford-u/

in sizes 45.5, 45 and 44.5, respectively. They all fit extremely well and with the high instep, they are already some of most comfortable shoes I have. The two oxfords have a wide toe-box and the leather is so subtle that the break-in period has been painless so far. The Norweger on the Vibram sole are a tad stiffer, but also comfortable.

I studied this thread and Ascot Shoes where they used to have a brilliant sizing overview (sadly gone). So thanks to everyone for posting - it is a great help when ordering shoes online:)

My collection so far has included Allan Edmonds (I live far north and they suit the climate) Church's (old ones, bought 15-20 years ago), Cheaney, Loake 1880, Carmina and more recently Enzo Bonade. The Vass shoes are close to Bonafe in my opinion, but at the price point they are currently offered, they do represent a real bargain.

As a result, I have ordered two more pairs:eek:
Which SIZE for U Last? Your US size? Thanks

Satchmo Borealis

Reaction score
Which SIZE for U Last? Your US size? Thanks
I use US size 11.5 F and from what I read, U last in size 45-45.5 should work. The shoe I wanted was only available in 45.5 and it fits well now, but if the leather stretches a lot, it may be a bit roomy around the heel. Ordered another U last pair in 45 and have been notified that delivery will be either this evening or some time tomorrow. Will post an update as soon as I have tried them on.

tbaja27

Reaction score
20201029_115841.jpg

Test drive with these babies today. K last

tbaja27

Reaction score
Wear in good health. They look stellar!
Thank you! I'm liking their museum calf a lot. Also that tri-colored Budapest.I've decided to stay with the U and F last from now on with Vass. Perhaps a derby in a more traditonal last as well. But these "italian" lasts are amazing!

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you! I'm liking their museum calf a lot. Also that tri-colored Budapest.I've decided to stay with the U and F last from now on with Vass. Perhaps a derby in a more traditonal last as well. But these "italian" lasts are amazing!
I can only attest to this. The F is my absolute favorite followed by the U. And the museum calf is not only great looking, but wears very comfortably as well.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use US size 11.5 F and from what I read, U last in size 45-45.5 should work. The shoe I wanted was only available in 45.5 and it fits well now, but if the leather stretches a lot, it may be a bit roomy around the heel. Ordered another U last pair in 45 and have been notified that delivery will be either this evening or some time tomorrow. Will post an update as soon as I have tried them on.

I wear a US11.5 medium. I also have the Budapest Oxford U in size 44.5. They are too small and I'm sending back for a size 45. I'm waiting on a return label from Vass.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads