• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CWV

Reaction score
No problem. Although, for your information not all people size up from F last to U last. Some use the same size while others size up 1/2 size like me. Having said that, you mighr be good with 41,5 as well. If I were you, I'd email Vass for help. And I'd ask if you can return the shoes if they don't fit. That might not be possible with MTOs where you ask for a wider width.
Yes and also there is the issue I live in Chile, so returning would be expensive. You ment 42,5 didn’t you? 8UK is a 42UE, isn’t it? Maybe a 42,5 and a stretch at the possible pressure point?
maybe I could try with a used pair first...
thanks again

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes and also there is the issue I live in Chile, so returning would be expensive. You ment 42,5 didn’t you? 8UK is a 42UE, isn’t it? Maybe a 42,5 and a stretch at the possible pressure point?
maybe I could try with a used pair first...
thanks again
I'm UK7,5 and use U 41,5 and F 41

You're UK8. So the corresponding for you should be U 42 and F 41,5.

But some people stick to their F last without sizing up for the U last. In that case, it should be 41,5 for you.

I think the best for you would be a used pair first, yes. Good luck!

Reactions: CWV

CWV

Reaction score

But some people stick to their F last without sizing up for the U last. In that case, it should be 41,5 for you.

One last thing. Everyone size half a size down for F?

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One last thing. Everyone size half a size down for F?
No, they don't. That's what I'm trying to tell you. Some people use the same size for both F and U. But some, like me, size UP half a size for U.

I'm pretty sure that a size 41,5 for F should fit you fine. But for U I'm not sure, because some people size up and some don't.

CWV

Reaction score
No, they don't. That's what I'm trying to tell you. Some people use the same size for both F and U. But some, like me, size UP half a size for U.

I'm pretty sure that a size 41,5 for F should fit you fine. But for U I'm not sure, because some people size up and some don't.

(This is just me trying to It! right, so if I’m being abnoxious please feel free not answering )
But that wouldn’t be sizing up for U, it would be TTS (from 7,5 UK to 41,5 in your case), because there was a sizing down for F ( from 7;5 to 41 In your case, or for me, from 8 to 41,5)
Thats why I was asking if the half a size down from TTS is generally recomiendes for F, otherwise I would be thinking of a 42 in F.
I don’t know if I’m es pressing myself right, English is my second language lol.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(This is just me trying to It! right, so if I’m being abnoxious please feel free not answering )
But that wouldn’t be sizing up for U, it would be TTS (from 7,5 UK to 41,5 in your case), because there was a sizing down for F ( from 7;5 to 41 In your case, or for me, from 8 to 41,5)
Thats why I was asking if the half a size down from TTS is generally recomiendes for F, otherwise I would be thinking of a 42 in F.
I don’t know if I’m es pressing myself right, English is my second language lol.
No worries mate, now I understand. The main point is this: some people take half a size larger for U compared to F. But I don't know if sizing down from TTS is generally recommended or not.

When I purchased my first Vass, I was recommended to take size 41,5. I did it for both U and F and realised that 41,5 was to large for F. Hope that helps.

Im sure others can shime in as well.

tbaja27

Reaction score

Indeed. I got my U pair same size as the Peter one. Both fit well.
Eyeing a double monk in the F last - that'll be the same size for me, 42.

My feet are not wide by any means, though.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Indeed. I got my U pair same size as the Peter one. Both fit well.
Eyeing a double monk in the F last - that'll be the same size for me, 42.

My feet are not wide by any means, though.
My feet are on the wider side of normal width. But I can't fit into narrow lasts like Carmina Simpson last for example. I need extra wide for that last.

tbaja27

Reaction score
My feet are on the wider side of normal width. But I can't fit into narrow lasts like Carmina Simpson last for example. I need extra wide for that last.

Makes sense. I can fit well into the Rain and Inca (take 8UK- 42 EU). But also have a pair of 7.5UK Inca and they fit rather well too.

Oh how much I love sizing shoes..haha

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Makes sense. I can fit well into the Rain and Inca (take 8UK- 42 EU). But also have a pair of 7.5UK Inca and they fit rather well too.

Oh how much I love sizing shoes..haha
Rain works for me if it's a full brogue. For some reason it's more forgiving than semi brogue, which I can't fit into in the same size as the full brogue.

Yeah.. love it ?

WhyUEarly

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just want to jump in and say that I am typical 8.5 UK and take 42.5 in F-last and 43 in U. Also need to take into account whether the shoe is a oxford, derby, or double monks which could all fit slightly different. Not to mention, Vass has to be known to have variations in sizing between pairs in the past.

CWV

Reaction score
I just want to jump in and say that I am typical 8.5 UK and take 42.5 in F-last and 43 in U. Also need to take into account whether the shoe is a oxford, derby, or double monks which could all fit slightly different. Not to mention, Vass has to be known to have variations in sizing between pairs in the past.
So many factors. In order from roomier to less would it be
Derby- monks- oxford? That’s volume pise or toe box width too?

WhyUEarly

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So many factors. In order from roomier to less would it be
Derby- monks- oxford? That’s volume pise or toe box width too?
It's always safer to confirm your sizing with an oxford because it requires a good fit on the instep. Derby and monk straps can be adjusted to fit a wider range of insteps, which help lock in your feet into the heel for a good fit, which prevents your forefoot moving around and rubbing against the side of the shoe.

If you're UK8, I would say the corresponding size should be 42 on the F last. I would say confirm your F-last sizing before moving onto more challenging lasts like U-last or K-last or S-last. If I had to guess, you should try 42.5 on U-last, although 42 might work, it's safer to go for the bigger size on your first pair as you can always wear a thicker sock for it to fit.

Just my opinion, but I would consider DonRaphael to be TTS in U-last and sizing down half a size on F-last, which sounds to me like he has low volume feet.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's always safer to confirm your sizing with an oxford because it requires a good fit on the instep. Derby and monk straps can be adjusted to fit a wider range of insteps, which help lock in your feet into the heel for a good fit, which prevents your forefoot moving around and rubbing against the side of the shoe.

If you're UK8, I would say the corresponding size should be 42 on the F last. I would say confirm your F-last sizing before moving onto more challenging lasts like U-last or K-last or S-last. If I had to guess, you should try 42.5 on U-last, although 42 might work, it's safer to go for the bigger size on your first pair as you can always wear a thicker sock for it to fit.

Just my opinion, but I would consider DonRaphael to be TTS in U-last and sizing down half a size on F-last, which sounds to me like he has low volume feet.
Yes, low volume feet and high instep with wide front on the normal width spectrum. If that made sense, lol.

Also I agree that he should confirm his F last size first.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads