• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CWV

Reaction score
I admit I don't know what's considered elongated, but if it means what I think, then I would classify both P and P2 as half-elongated. P2 definitely, P at least subjectively, because I have to upsize (half-a-size) on it. It is almost a symmetrical last and if I went with my regular size (43.5), my big toes would get pushed inwards "too soon". The half size up still keeps the foot nicely in, so the shoe gives me plenty of room in front of the toes, and length. I am attaching a few pictures (including a pair of Loakes on the Capital, which you mention).

View attachment 1464356

From top to bottom: 3636-44, P-44, P2-43.5, Loake Capital 9UK, P2-43.5.

View attachment 1464359

Top to bottom: Loake Capital 9UK, P2-43.5, F-43.5, 3636-43.5.

View attachment 1464361

Same order as above.

View attachment 1464362

Closeup: 3636-44, P-44, P2-43.5

View attachment 1464363

And finally, three P2s: Theresianer, London, Budapest, all in 43.5.
They are all slightly different (yes, shoes within a last differ): Budapest is tighter across the vamp, Theresianer the roomiest. London fits me the best as it has a tighter heel and wider but lower instep.

Hope it helps.
Thanks so much!
co
ould you compare for me the lasts In a same size with the Loake capital? I have the luck to know how that last fits me, so it would be most useful. I’m sorry to burden you so.

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much!
co
ould you compare for me the lasts In a same size with the Loake capital? I have the luck to know how that last fits me, so it would be most useful. I’m sorry to burden you so.

Hello, I wrote this a few weeks ago when my Norweger arrived:

For my feet Vass P last in 44.5 Euro = 10.5UK in Church's 173, Loake Capital, Cheaney 125 and 130.

Model: Norweger 063037
Size: 44.5
Last: P
Supplier: Vass
Color: Antique cognac
Sole: Vibram commando

I have to point out that the Loake's Capital last has a more generous toebox and is a tad larger. The Vass 44.5 P is a tad snug for my right foot but perfect for the left one. The P last is slim in the toe area. I run almost 40Km per week so my feet are not really wide but hefty.

Unfortunately I won't fly to Budapest in the near future to try the 45. I hope this help

Webbo

Reaction score
Hello, I wrote this a few weeks ago when my Norweger arrived:

For my feet Vass P last in 44.5 Euro = 10.5UK in Church's 173, Loake Capital, Cheaney 125 and 130.

Model: Norweger 063037
Size: 44.5
Last: P
Supplier: Vass
Color: Antique cognac
Sole: Vibram commando

I have to point out that the Loake's Capital last has a more generous toebox and is a tad larger. The Vass 44.5 P is a tad snug for my right foot but perfect for the left one. The P last is slim in the toe area. I run almost 40Km per week so my feet are not really wide but hefty.

Unfortunately I won't fly to Budapest in the near future to try the 45. I hope this help
My feet are very similar size to this indeed and I settled on the 44.5 on the P2 but with the H width that they can produce as the 45 was too big.

Jan Capek

Reaction score
Thanks so much!
co

My regular size is 43.5 EUR / 9.5UK. My Loakes are from the Export Grade line, on the Capital last, and while 9.5UK was okay, 9UK felt better, as close to perfection as RTW dress can. While this pair is not the most expensive in my collection, and Vass is superior in quality, it is one of my best fitting for sure. I am saying this to point the obvious, which is that our feet likely differ considerably, as you indicated the Capital is too narrow for you. I am also comparing an oxford (Loake) to derbys (Vass).

Here the shoes
- ordered by width of toebox, from wide to narrow: 3636-43.5, Loake-9UK, P2-43.5 London, P2-43.5 Theresianer, P2-43.5 Budapest, P-44, F-43.5.
- ordered by width in the vamp area, from wide to narrow: 3636-43.5, Loake-9UK, P-44, P2-43.5 London, P2-43.5 Theresianer, P2-43.5 Budapest, F-43.5.
- ordered by height of instep: 3636-44, 3636-43.5, P2s-43.5, F-43.5, Loake-9UK
- ordered by heel width, from wide to narrow: BP-44, 3636-44, 3636-43.5, P2s on 43.5, F-43.5, Loake 9UK.
- ordered by length, from longest to shortest: P2s on 43.5, F-43.5, P-44, Loake 9UK, 3636-44, 3636-43.5.

I am doubting the helpfulness of the above, so maybe I should tell you that the Loakes have a "front-width : heel-width" ratio higher than anything I've seen from Vass, and it works for my foot and makes the shoe elegant. The Vass models listed are not very "refined" (perhaps with the exception of the F last). I don't mind that, my favorite is 3636 actually, as it looks like a man's shoe. Still, none of the Vasses I tried come on as good-fitting a last as the Capital. I need a wider toe box, lower instep (due to somewhat flat feet), narrower heel, smaller opening at the collar, and smaller facings to prevent touching in the middle. Vass offers the opposite. They insist on making shoes for people with massive ankles and insteps, making them difficult for flat footed people, who risk gaping and facings overlap with their shoes.

If you like elongated elegant shoes, I would probably recommend considering the F (and other Italian lasts, with which I have no experience). But upsize against the Loakes, as the F is definitely narrower in toe box. If you need width and do not care about sleek shapes, 3636 is a great option. Bear in mind that their heel and instep is very generous though.

I'm afraid this is as useful as I can get.

Last edited:

jayteee

Reaction score
Hi Styleforum,

I quite like a shoe on sale (only available in size 43), but I noticed it’s in the R-last. On Ascotshoes the R-last is described as followed:

Wider Fitting Lasts
Below lasts are suitable for men who prefer a wider & comfortable fitting around the vamp & toes.
R
Quintessentially English last with a shorter round and flat captoe and comfortable high instep. This last is best suited to the Oxford type models.

I’m pretty sure I have normal feet width and also a normal instep.

Normally I wear 43/9UK/10US.

Should I stay away from this shoe in this last?

Thank you in advance.
Hi, it depends on the style you like. I found the R last bulbous and wide and less elegant than the P2 and F last. My heel slipped out the back, even though I wore the same size as always. If you need a little more room, I think P2 is a better option. It has space for your toes but doesn't look clunky like the R, which is about a centimeter wider.

jayteee

Reaction score
Hi, it depends on the style you like. I found the R last bulbous and wide and less elegant than the P2 and F last. My heel slipped out the back, even though I wore the same size as always. If you need a little more room, I think P2 is a better option. It has space for your toes but doesn't look clunky like the R, which is about a centimeter wider. I sold my R last shoes on eBay after I tried them on and didn't like the look.

CWV

Reaction score
My regular size is 43.5 EUR / 9.5UK. My Loakes are from the Export Grade line, on the Capital last, and while 9.5UK was okay, 9UK felt better, as close to perfection as RTW dress can. While this pair is not the most expensive in my collection, and Vass is superior in quality, it is one of my best fitting for sure. I am saying this to point the obvious, which is that our feet likely differ considerably, as you indicated the Capital is too narrow for you. I am also comparing an oxford (Loake) to derbys (Vass).

Here the shoes
- ordered by width of toebox, from wide to narrow: 3636-43.5, Loake-9UK, P2-43.5 London, P2-43.5 Theresianer, P2-43.5 Budapest, P-44, F-43.5.
- ordered by width in the vamp area, from wide to narrow: 3636-43.5, Loake-9UK, P-44, P2-43.5 London, P2-43.5 Theresianer, P2-43.5 Budapest, F-43.5.
- ordered by height of instep: 3636-44, 3636-43.5, P2s-43.5, F-43.5, Loake-9UK
- ordered by heel width, from wide to narrow: BP-44, 3636-44, 3636-43.5, P2s on 43.5, F-43.5, Loake 9UK.
- ordered by length, from longest to shortest: P2s on 43.5, F-43.5, P-44, Loake 9UK, 3636-44, 3636-43.5.

I am doubting the helpfulness of the above, so maybe I should tell you that the Loakes have a "front-width : heel-width" ratio higher than anything I've seen from Vass, and it works for my foot and makes the shoe elegant. The Vass models listed are not very "refined" (perhaps with the exception of the F last). I don't mind that, my favorite is 3636 actually, as it looks like a man's shoe. Still, none of the Vasses I tried come on as good-fitting a last as the Capital. I need a wider toe box, lower instep (due to somewhat flat feet), narrower heel, smaller opening at the collar, and smaller facings to prevent touching in the middle. Vass offers the opposite. They insist on making shoes for people with massive ankles and insteps, making them difficult for flat footed people, who risk gaping and facings overlap with their shoes.

If you like elongated elegant shoes, I would probably recommend considering the F (and other Italian lasts, with which I have no experience). But upsize against the Loakes, as the F is definitely narrower in toe box. If you need width and do not care about sleek shapes, 3636 is a great option. Bear in mind that their heel and instep is very generous though.

I'm afraid this is as useful as I can get.
Thank you very much. My Loake is of the 1880 line, so the suppler leather of the export grade could make the difference. but I’m afraid that the sleeker lasts from Vas’s which I like a lot (like the U amd K) might not be for me, specially if returning is as hard as it is all the way from Chile. If I could try them on maybe I could work out some up sizing, but guessing at it seems risky.
im quite sure 3636 wouldfit me fine, but it doesn’t appeal very much to me im afraid.
I think I will grab a P or P2 maybe, or wait for an opportunity to try them on. I would really like a U last...

thanks again for all your advices

WhyUEarly

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wanted to share my positive customer service experience with Vass.
I wanted to return one of the Vass pairs I bought recently so I emailed info@vass .com

I got a response from Fruzsina, their junior sales manager, the next morning with a FedEx return label and prefilled customs form. Not sure how much they're going to charge me for return shipping but so far pretty easy experience returning shoes to Budapest. For what it's worth, I never had an email to Vass that was not responded within a few days, and the first time I emailed them was in 2018.

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wanted to share my positive customer service experience with Vass.
I wanted to return one of the Vass pairs I bought recently so I emailed info@vass .com

I got a response from Fruzsina, their junior sales manager, the next morning with a FedEx return label and prefilled customs form. Not sure how much they're going to charge me for return shipping but so far pretty easy experience returning shoes to Budapest. For what it's worth, I never had an email to Vass that was not responded within a few days, and the first time I emailed them was in 2018.

ThinkClear – runtessrun

you sir must be very special

monkey66

Reaction score
I just got my first Vass and am very happy. I bought them from Ascot/Karl from his sale on eBay (I am in the UK).

I got a great deal (comparable to direct) including
20200926_144242.jpg
the 3 piece trees.

The shoes are lovely, really dark bordeaux with subtle museum finish. The heal is clearly a full leather stack.

Fit is genrally very good, a little pressure on the arch but should be fine with a little wear.

Really elegant, just need to find some decent laces as the stock ones are thin cotton. Kark did include some nice red laces which are much better quality but it is not a look i would go for.
20200926_144202.jpg
20200926_151641.jpg

Jan Capek

Reaction score
Clear how?
I may be mistaken, but I always thought that when the strip edges are somewhat uniform in texture and fluffy/fuzzy, and often light colored. As opposed to strips of various textures, some looking fuzzy, some like polished wood. Unless they smoothen some and not others, but I can't think of a reason why they'd do that.

Attachments

• leather stack.jpg
    leather stack.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 87
  • not.jpg
    not.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

jayteee

Reaction score
I just got my first Vass and am very happy. I bought them from Ascot/Karl from his sale on eBay (I am in the UK).

I got a great deal (comparable to direct) including View attachment 1465749 the 3 piece trees.

The shoes are lovely, really dark bordeaux with subtle museum finish. The heal is clearly a full leather stack.

Fit is genrally very good, a little pressure on the arch but should be fine with a little wear.

Really elegant, just need to find some decent laces as the stock ones are thin cotton. Kark did include some nice red laces which are much better quality but it is not a look i would go for. View attachment 1465748 View attachment 1465751
Good to know Karl isn't charging 750 pounds for 300 pound shoes anymore....Very nice Bordeaux!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads