• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just got a couple pairs today and I was so sad to find out that they don’t fit me that well. I’ve got flat feet so it’s causing the inside quarter of the shoes to protrude. Check out the pictures below to see what I’m talking about.

Any advice on what I could do to help mitigate or resolve the issue? The overall fit of both shoes (F & K lasts) are spot on, from the heel to the forefoot to the toe box are nice and snug.

Sitting
View attachment 1456263
Standing
View attachment 1456264
Both quarters of the shoes look like a V is starting to form.
View attachment 1456265 View attachment 1456266
I will throw a wild guess here and I might be wrong.

I have a pair of Carmina's that are 8.5 UK but I think it's not the current Rain last, it feels that my instep has not enough space. I do not have a flat feet although my heel goes to the inside so it flattens my feet. So I get those quarters bending. My guess is that if I could select half a size bigger, they will solve.

So, I think that the instep of the shoe is quite low for your feet, the top part of the "V" looks quite open and then the flat feet, make it worse.

As with shoe sizing over the internet, this is a wild guess but I think 0.5 up might solve the issue.

Kivi D

Reaction score
When they sit flat without your feet in them, how does the heel rest? Is there a gap either at the front or back of the heel?

There's no gap at the heel, both shoes actually fit pretty snug all around.

This is indeed often caused by flat feet (my guess is that when your foot hangs in the air, the situation corrects itself), and made worse when the feet are wider than what the shoe was made for, and of course with low-rising shoes. I don't think there's a remedy for this, only mitigation. If I were you I'd visit an orthopedist to get custom fit insoles (full or 3/4 insoles from a store won't fix this), tie the shoes tightly, and wear long enough pants. Btw. I have the same issue on a few shoes, and paradoxically they are all very comfortable. Orthopedic insoles improved it by 50%. I would also recommend to any flat-footed person to try getting their oxfords on 6 eyelets (the higher rise improves things).

Your guess is right, they are corrected when I'm not putting pressure on my feet. I never thought of making trip to an orthopedist as I have never encountered this issue before with any of my other shoes.

I will throw a wild guess here and I might be wrong.

I have a pair of Carmina's that are 8.5 UK but I think it's not the current Rain last, it feels that my instep has not enough space. I do not have a flat feet although my heel goes to the inside so it flattens my feet. So I get those quarters bending. My guess is that if I could select half a size bigger, they will solve.

So, I think that the instep of the shoe is quite low for your feet, the top part of the "V" looks quite open and then the flat feet, make it worse.

As with shoe sizing over the internet, this is a wild guess but I think 0.5 up might solve the issue.

I do have a low instep caused by my flat feet so I may try to use some tounge pads I have laying around to help mitigate the issue.

The laces weren't tightened at all because I didn't want to cause any other unsightly creasing in case I have to end up selling the shoes.

I might try going up half a size if these don't work our for me, but I'll have to go through the daunting task of trying to resell them first.

Jan Capek

Reaction score
I might try going up half a size if these don't work our for me, but I'll have to go through the daunting task of trying to resell them first.

Also consider the 3636 last if you like it. In my view it is VASS' best last for people with wider, flat feet and low volume.

Jan Capek

Reaction score

Two last things from me: (1) If you live in the EU, Vass is obligated to take the shoes back no matter what their policy says. It is your right whenever you purchase something online in the EU to return it within 14 days. (2) A small correction of what I wrote earlier: Depending on the country you live in, it might not be an orthopedist that you need to visit, as I'd suggested, but a podiatrist (where I live we go to orthopedists for custom orthotics).

London_UK

Reaction score
My first Vass shoe and a gapping scenario, on the U last 43.5 and because I ordered metal cap, I can't return them or have them replaced by a different model... I have been waiting to order these for almost a year.

Has anyone found another last without this problem, other than the 3636 ? What about the P last ?

And yes, I do have flatfeet and slightly wider, but never experienced this, not on Church's or C&J or anything. I tried the shoes with orthotic arch support and without, even tried with thicker socks, nothing, the gap is always there.... Gutted !!!

Attachments

• IMG_7902.JPG
    IMG_7902.JPG
    259.1 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_5625.JPG
    IMG_5625.JPG
    262 KB · Views: 101
Last edited by a moderator:

Kamil1987

Reaction score
My first ever pair of Vass shoes from samples sale. Last K, size 43.5. I went half size up from my most worn 9/43 size yet still the front part feels narrow. Luckily I have bony feet, but for most people I guess it might be a problem. Surprisingly, as for such narrow front they fit without any gapping around the instep. I wore them two full days now and had no problems with my feet.
IMG_20200910_081952911.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200910_081949993.jpg
    IMG_20200910_081949993.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 103

willyto

Reaction score
I received today my Ebay pair of P2 suede Theresianer with dainite soles and I have a very tiny gap in the outside of the shoes. The heel grip is nice, the lenght is fine and the fit is comfortable (I'm glad I went half a size down, otherwise would be too long and loose as the lacing area closes quite close already) but the outside quarters are not fully gripping my feet. Not a severe gapping as the ones shown above by you guys but I'm not used to having that. I imagine it won't be a problem.

I don't have that problem with the 3636 or Peter last.

I believe Fedex is delivering the pair directly from Vass Budapest so I will see if the same issue happens with the calf P2 Theresianer shoes.

I have to say that the Dainite shoes feel less premium compared to the leather soled ones but it's nice to have alternatives.

alexboss

Reaction score
If they are so desperate they put everything on deep sale, why are they not responding to emails for full-priced MTO?
They can't really be short of sales, if they don't even have time to reply to messages for lucrative work

Doesn't really make any sense.

Maybe the store is closing? Mr Vass has Covid?
I just both a pair of shoes from their web-store last Thursday. I have sent them some messages through Instagram, facebook, emails, phone calls...no answer at all from them. I will call my bank to revert back the transaction. It seems more like a scam.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just both a pair of shoes from their web-store last Thursday. I have sent them some messages through Instagram, facebook, emails, phone calls...no answer at all from them. I will call my bank to revert back the transaction. It seems more like a scam.

Not a scam. More that their communications are very sub-par. You will get your FedEx shipping notification and that is about all.

alexboss

Reaction score
My first ever pair of Vass shoes from samples sale. Last K, size 43.5. I went half size up from my most worn 9/43 size yet still the front part feels narrow. Luckily I have bony feet, but for most people I guess it might be a problem. Surprisingly, as for such narrow front they fit without any gapping around the instep. I wore them two full days now and had no problems with my feet.
View attachment 1457306
Hello, Did you buy the shoes from their web-store? if so, how long did it take to get the shoes? I bought a pair of shoes from their web-store, I have not received any notification from them, so far. I am trying to contact them, but it is literally, impossible.

alexboss

Reaction score
Not a scam. More that their communications are very sub-par. You will get your FedEx shipping notification and that is about all.
Thank you for your answer. I will wait a little bit more for my fedex tracking #. I just bought a Meccariello shoes, last Friday, I chatted with Antonio, he suggested some changes in the order and I got the tracking number yesterday, shoes arriving on Wednesday by DHL. A complete different experience.

Kamil1987

Reaction score
Hello, Did you buy the shoes from their web-store? if so, how long did it take to get the shoes? I bought a pair of shoes from their web-store, I have not received any notification from them, so far. I am trying to contact them, but it is literally, impossible.
Yes, I bought them from their online store and delivery (to Germany) took no more than 5 working days.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads