• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ordered my very first pair of Vass today and like many I’m taking a bit of a punt on the size aspect. Not a lot of agreement or concensus out there on comparing vass to known UK last shapes and sizes.

so I am a pretty reliable UK7. That’s what I take in a crockett 348, Alfred Sargent exclusives, Cheaney and loake.

as usual I size up half for Gaziano & Girling and wear a 7.5 in a TG73.

however in a couple of lasts (crockett 341 and cheaney 205) I can just about get away with a 6.5 without it destroying my feet totally. I have a narrow heel and appreciate the closer fit even if my toes don’t always.

so.......

based on all this the best guess I could come up with was that in a K last I would opt for size 41

watch this space!
348 and F last is 45 for me K would be 45.5. But all my Vass are F last as that is the only last that fits my feet

LThomsen

Reaction score
Ordered my very first pair of Vass today and like many I’m taking a bit of a punt on the size aspect. Not a lot of agreement or concensus out there on comparing vass to known UK last shapes and sizes.

so I am a pretty reliable UK7. That’s what I take in a crockett 348, Alfred Sargent exclusives, Cheaney and loake.

however in a couple of lasts (crockett 341 and cheaney 205) I can just about get away with a 6.5 without it destroying my feet totally. I have a narrow heel and appreciate the closer fit even if my toes don’t always.

so.......

based on all this the best guess I could come up with was that in a K last I would opt for size 41

watch this space!
Let us know what your vass shoe experience is like. Mixed reviews recently.

shrink1061

Reaction score
348 and F last is 45 for me K would be 45.5. But all my Vass are F last as that is the only last that fits my feet

id be able to tolerate if my 348 was a touch narrower, but I hate heel slip, so erred on the side of caution over going too large

by your logic a k in 41.5 may have been more appropriate, but impossible to speculate, so will just see what happens.

always wanted to try vass and these will be a way for me to start understanding what size I’m likely to need in K and U (my two favourites).

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
id be able to tolerate if my 348 was a touch narrower, but I hate heel slip, so erred on the side of caution over going too large

by your logic a k in 41.5 may have been more appropriate, but impossible to speculate, so will just see what happens.

always wanted to try vass and these will be a way for me to start understanding what size I’m likely to need in K and U (my two favourites).
K is way too narrower than 348 in the toe area. All the best!!

SRV

Reaction score
Size up for U-Last??
I did size up a full size for U last and half size for F last Oxfords, to get proper lace closure.
For Loafers in U Last, I go up half size for snug fit and for Derbys in F last went with TTS and they were snug.
P2 and 3636 Lasts fit TTS for me.

My left foot is slightly wider (US E wide). As always, YMMV.

If you provide fit details with lasts from other well known shoemakers, forum members can help better.

Last edited:

Guccinski L.V.

Reaction score

I would say you chose well the size 41. If anything I would suggest going 40.5 if you are UK7, but 41 should be fine as well. Vass shoes are quite stretchy, yet very tight right out of the box, so 1/2 a size can be ok in a long run, after some break-in.

op131

Reaction score

so.......

watch this space!

I think you made the right choice, though 40.5 might work as well depending on the shape of your feet. I'm a UK7 with narrow-ish heels like you, and the F last in 40.5 is my best fitting last. I go half size up in the U last. When I asked Vass for fitting advice for the K last, I was told that it's a little bit more generous in the toe section than the U last, so same size as F might work.

shrink1061

Reaction score
So. My size 41 K last arrived today.

initial impressions were good, clearly a well made shoe. Fit was snug, but not uncomfortably so. I wouldn’t want to sacrifice the fit through the waist and heel for any more space up front. When just relaxing I don’t feel my toes are being cramped and that only mildly changes under walking, and that’s on fresh vass leather (which is fairly stiff). I anticipate that with very little break in that these will fit well.

Attachments

• 1511A08B-98F0-49E3-844A-08590CB4333C.jpeg
    1511A08B-98F0-49E3-844A-08590CB4333C.jpeg
    226.7 KB · Views: 53
  • C4ECBBD7-B879-400F-A716-56DECFC702B5.jpeg
    C4ECBBD7-B879-400F-A716-56DECFC702B5.jpeg
    199.1 KB · Views: 81
  • 095D94A2-D0CB-432C-A620-47156769D7A7.jpeg
    095D94A2-D0CB-432C-A620-47156769D7A7.jpeg
    235.7 KB · Views: 106
  • 5B7CFF05-75EC-4B67-A93A-87A5AEC7BEE9.jpeg
    5B7CFF05-75EC-4B67-A93A-87A5AEC7BEE9.jpeg
    278 KB · Views: 131
  • 834C67E7-34D7-49D8-AEAD-15D901F44A0E.jpeg
    834C67E7-34D7-49D8-AEAD-15D901F44A0E.jpeg
    192.9 KB · Views: 125

Guccinski L.V.

Reaction score
If you need more toe room down the road. Take a kitchen paper-towel wrap around shoetree and secure it down with the packing tape. The tape will allow this thicker tree to slide inside the shoe easily. Force it inside the shoe and leave for a day or two. The leather on Vass is very stretchy you will notice a big difference in comfort.

shrink1061

Reaction score
If you need more toe room down the road. Take a kitchen paper-towel wrap around shoetree and secure it down with the packing tape. The tape will allow this thicker tree to slide inside the shoe easily. Force it inside the shoe and leave for a day or two. The leather on Vass is very stretchy you will notice a big difference in comfort.

Reality is with enough wear, the front will give a little. This is a tiny bit bigger than my UK6.5 shoes, but a little smaller than my UK7 shoes. It's length seems to be about on-par with UK7 in something like a 348 though.

Definitely not uncomfortable and will age wonderfully i suspect.

Last edited:

op131

Reaction score
Reality is with enough wear, the front will give a little. This is a tiny bit bigger than my UK6 shoes, but a little smaller than my UK7 shoes. It's length seems to be about on-par with UK7 in something like a 348 though.

Definitely not uncomfortable and will age wonderfully i suspect.
Good feedback, thanks. This means I should stick to my regular U size for the K last.

shrink1061

Reaction score
I just went for a wander in them and actually found them superbly comfortable (taking into account the stiffness of new shoes). The space in the shoe was just right for me and they fit similarly (but with added length) to something like a Gaziano in a UK7.5 or an Alfred Sargent 724 in UK7.

My pair just fit like a snug, narrow and elegant lasted UK7. Not one for those with wide feet of course, but otherwise I feel that I was spot on getting a 41 for my UK7 foot.

Guccinski L.V.

Reaction score
One thing I am planning to improve is the heel patch inside the shoe. I am going to take a sand paper to it to prevent heel movement. Most of the shoes I own have a suede heel patch to prevent movement.

P.S. Ordered some flat colored laces from Shoe Snob last week. The default laces in my new Vass are atrocious quality (thick, unwaxed and brown)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads