• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ok, I like that you are ambitious. When you reach your next milestone do let us know.

But ultimately, I'd like to see you with 2-3 rooms full of only bespoke (and please, not used off of eBay!). RTW is for losers.
I like that you’re ambitious for me, (two to three..yikes), perhaps you can start a gofundme in my honor.

sforum1

Reaction score
I like that you’re ambitious for me, (two to three..yikes), perhaps you can start a gofundme in my honor.
Maybe you can move out of the house and make more room for your shoes. You can set up a tent in the backyard to stay in when it rains.

Jan Capek

Reaction score
Few things just for specificity....I only wish I had a room full of $3000 shoes, the room is full of shoes with a few that approach the number. Also your remarks quoted a Vass sold item, not JL. My remarks in regard to your comments are not indicated to imply you should not engage in conversation. Indeed, we are engaged in conversation, it was simply a critique of your haughty esteem for your view of what “taste” is. I think it’s great that you have a view, but you should know that if you do make it known on sf, others may disagree, or even find it comical.

I wish you well in your purchase of new tasteful shoes. It’s great that you know why you purchase them. However I must point out again, the idea that you can know the definitive reasons that motivate others that purchase a used shoe, is comical.

I have mixed feelings about responding to another chastisement of yours. Modestly as I dare say, most of what you're criticizing me for stems from a misunderstanding on your part, so I would like to clarify. First, you're telling me that my remarks "quoted a Vass sold item, not a JL item". This is evidently not true, and you can re-read the history to verify. Second, you must know that taste is subjective, and you must know that anyone of sane mind and average intelligence knows it too. Unless you tend to think of others as less intelligent than you regard yourself, you must know that when someone says "a man of taste does this or that", he is not really convinced of being the ultimate judge of taste, but is merely expressing his opinions in a figuratively authoritative way. People do this all the time. Have you never heard anyone say or write in his blog that someone is "a person of class", "noblesse", "distinguished taste", or saying "That film sucks"? If you have, do you think the authors of these remarks claim the knowledge of the ultimate standards of behavior, taste, class, noblesse, or cinematographic art? It seems to me that you must know this is not the case.

So perhaps you only wanted to chastise another adult? Or perhaps you took a vicarious offence on behalf of all those who buy used shoes? I might not understand the latter sentiment (either you buy used shoes with pride and conviction, in which case you need nobody's approval, or you don't, in which case you should welcome other views, however poorly expressed), but if anyone here really took offence at my statement, then I sincerely apologize, and clarify that "I do not feel myself to be the ultimate guide in terms of taste".

Last edited:

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have mixed feelings about responding to another chastisement of yours. Modestly as I dare say, most of what you're criticizing me for stems from a misunderstanding on your part, so I would like to clarify. First, you're telling me that my remarks "quoted a Vass sold item, not a JL item". This is evidently not true, and you can re-read the history to verify. Second, you must know that taste is subjective, and you must know that anyone of sane mind and average intelligence knows it too. Unless you tend to think of others as less intelligent than you regard yourself, you must know that when someone says "a man of taste does this or that", he is not really convinced of being the ultimate judge of taste, but is merely expressing his opinions in a figuratively authoritative way. People do this all the time. Have you never heard anyone say or write in his blog that someone is "a person of class", "noblesse", "distinguished taste", or saying "That film sucks"? If you have, do you think the authors of these remarks claim the knowledge of the ultimate standards of behavior, taste, class, noblesse, or cinematographic art? It seems to me that you must know this is not the case.

So perhaps you only wanted to chastise another adult? Or perhaps you took a vicarious offence on behalf of all those who buy used shoes? I might not understand the latter sentiment (either you buy used shoes with pride and conviction, in which case you need nobody's approval, or you don't, in which case you should welcome other views, however poorly expressed), but if anyone here really took offence at my statement, then I sincerely apologize, and clarify that "I do not feel myself to be the ultimate guide in terms of taste".
It’s self evident that my last post was not clear. So, I’ll try again, I bear you no ill will, I simply don’t share your view on this topic.

I’m not chastising you, you’ve stated an opinion, I’ve stated my opinion of your opinion. I’m not attempting to mute your opinion. You really needn’t apologize for your opinion, just accept that others may not agree. And further, may give voice to that disagreement by writing in this sf format, in which you chose to state your own opinion. You may in fact be correct that I have poor taste, because I bought used shoes, I just don’t think you are correct. The point is, it’s fine for both of us to assert our views.

To your point about your original post, I welcome you to go back and review the comment history. I think you will discover that you quoted user potatoe, who was commenting on a user that purchased used Vass for $300.00

ThomGault

Reaction score
I'm looking for some help with a Vass last suggestion. I've tried an Alt English on the F last, but the lace facings practically overlap, even when I size down. Is there a last that has a narrower facing compared to the general width of the shoe?

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe you can move out of the house and make more room for your shoes. You can set up a tent in the backyard to stay in when it rains.
His user name is not Imelda Marcos! Storing shoes is never an issue but then again I only have about 40 pairs give or take. Used, new, RTW, bespoke, semi bespoke whatever makes one happy. Enjoy all in good health gents!!

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your ideas are getting worse; I like the idea of you starting a gofundme and giving me all the proceeds better.

gmehra

Reaction score

Attachments

• old.jpg
    old.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 64

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads