• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jan Capek

Reaction score
Obviously it’s just my opinion, but I would say you’re the rule and I am the exception. No kidding, I have really bad luck sometimes with some makers, Vass is one of those. I can honestly say if I lived in Europe, I’d still be a Vass customer; it would be easy to just hop on a train and get what I wanted in person, folks in Europe are lucky.
The shoes they make are quite good in spite of the problems I experienced. They just were not worth the hassle, of trying to clear up said problems long distance.

Yes, that is understandable. As I had mentioned elsewhere, my experience with Vass has been great, but now that SRV mentioned shoe trees, I do in fact recall one glitch. The last pair (braided London derbies on a P2, quite ugly in the picture but very charming on my feet, I like to think) came with shoe trees that lacked the "VASS" metal plate, so they look like no-names. To me this is no problem, except perhaps if I ever wanted to resell the bundle and the buyer would be a greater ritualist than me. I also share SRV's sentiments re the F and P2 lasts. While the P2 fits me perfectly, the F I'd describe as "wearable". Hopefully when Time, the great healer, does its stretching job they will be pleasant. I also received identical shoetrees with all my P2s and the F, which makes me wonder - in what way are their shoetrees lasted?

Could anyone compare the P2 with 3636 (particularly vamp and heel width)?

Last edited:

Guccinski L.V.

Reaction score
Almost the same, 3636 may be a smidgen roomier in the instep and toebox. Both feel the same in the heel - roomier and deeper than U,F heels, but still holding heels well when new.
The shoe heels itself for P2 and 3636 are old-style : lower and wider than the U, F atrocity.

Jan Capek

Reaction score
Almost the same, 3636 may be a smidgen roomier in the instep and toebox. Both feel the same in the heel - roomier and deeper than U,F heels, but still holding heels well when new.
The shoe heels itself for P2 and 3636 are old-style : lower and wider than the U, F atrocity.
Thank you, this was very helpful.
If you have experience with the old Peter, could you update your previous answer for that one?

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Having heard so much about Mr Vass’ collaboration with Mr Ugolini, I would laugh heartily if the Paper-gate heel incident was his revenge on anyone buying shoes on an Italian last....

gte872h

Reaction score
Having heard so much about Mr Vass’ collaboration with Mr Ugolini, I would laugh heartily if the Paper-gate heel incident was his revenge on anyone buying shoes on an Italian last....

Unfortunately, no. It’s revenge on anyone buying a pair of Vass within the past six years.

jayteee

Reaction score
Yes, that is understandable. As I had mentioned elsewhere, my experience with Vass has been great, but now that SRV mentioned shoe trees, I do in fact recall one glitch. The last pair (braided London derbies on a P2, quite ugly in the picture but very charming on my feet, I like to think) came with shoe trees that lacked the "VASS" metal plate, so they look like no-names. To me this is no problem, except perhaps if I ever wanted to resell the bundle and the buyer would be a greater ritualist than me. I also share SRV's sentiments re the F and P2 lasts. While the P2 fits me perfectly, the F I'd describe as "wearable". Hopefully when Time, the great healer, does its stretching job they will be pleasant. I also received identical shoetrees with all my P2s and the F, which makes me wonder - in what way are their shoetrees lasted?

I DID get a lasted F shoetree that differed from my P2. But then my R last shoes and P2 were the same. I just think they're either sloppy in packaging these or run out of a particular shoe tree. But I know the F tree exists.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just sold a pair of Valway boots on ebay for a price that I cant believe I actually accepted. The buyer got a great deal, unfortunately for me, but I guess thats what happens sometimes. Hopefully the get worn a lot as I just couldnt find a place for them in my regular, pre-Covid rotation...

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just sold a pair of Valway boots on ebay for a price that I cant believe I actually accepted. The buyer got a great deal, unfortunately for me, but I guess thats what happens sometimes. Hopefully the get worn a lot as I just couldnt find a place for them in my regular, pre-Covid rotation...
Yeah, in my experience selling pre-owned Vass is difficult. Not sure if it just doesn't have the brand recognition outside of this forum.

sforum1

Reaction score
though $340 for a used pair of Vass is not exactly the best deal he'll ever get in his lifetime, or anyone else will ever get in their lifetimes. These days you also have to paid sales tax on eBay. So effectively including tax and shipping he paid $400.

If you ask me, he actually overpaid. I would never pay this much. Consider yourself lucky.

Last edited:

jayteee

Reaction score
though $340 for a used pair of Vass is not exactly the best deal he'll ever get in his lifetime, or anyone else will ever get in their lifetimes. These days you also have to paid sales tax on eBay. So effectively including tax and shipping he paid $400.

If you ask me, he actually overpaid. I would never pay this much. Consider yourself lucky.
Yep, I sold a pair of new Vass on eBay last week for a few dollars more than that (when Vass shipped me shoes that were too big). One tends to forget that shoes are not "investments" as the collectors' mentality suggests, but not-so-durable consumer goods that depreciate sharply after use.

Guccinski L.V.

Reaction score
It is unreal what sort of deals one can get just because Vass does not do marketing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics