• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vass typically marks half sizes with a dash. Out of curiousity, yours has 45.5 at the bottom?
Not true, Vass size markings are just as inconsistent as everything else associated with them. Some of my shoes have the dash, some have the .5, some don’t have any markings.

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ANYONE KNOW IF VASS MTO BOOTS OFFER GUSSETED TONGUE(BELLOWS TONGUE)?

I am wondering if Vass MTO offer a full gusseted tongue(bellows tongue) as a option ? Since I living in Canada, so gusseted tongue(bellows tongue) is such an important thing to me. I tried to contact Vass shoe by email, but thet haven't reply me back for a long time.
You can reach out to Mehra @ shopmehra in Vancouver and Jok @GTA shoe shine in Toronto. Forget about reaching out to Vass unless you can wait for days, months.....

Guccinski L.V.

Reaction score
Vass without size on the bottom is custom order. All my recent shoes marked Atilla on the inside. I don't think this is the name of the craftsman as it would make him the most prolific cobbler ever.

jayteee

Reaction score
Vass without size on the bottom is custom order. All my recent shoes marked Atilla on the inside. I don't think this is the name of the craftsman as it would make him the most prolific cobbler ever.
I have two "Atilla" made shoes as well. Then again, it's a common Hungarian name. They may have two or three Atilla's working there.

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It makes to me. This is business. This is common sense. This is being able to focus on the essence, not the distractions.

Many people here would prefer to pay $2300 for a pair of JL that is identical quality to Vass. They see no issue with this. Fine. I am ok with that. But they have a problem and they are outraged when they got a pair of Vass for $300 and the box was not perfect. Why? Because 'it's a matter of principle', they say. They should have disclosed it. Much like JL did disclose that their shoes would cost $2300 up front.

What principle is that? The sucker's principle? I feel I'm a sucker because I was sent an imperfect box but I feel absolutely marvelous inside after I was ripped off in broad daylight when I was charged $2300 for a pair of identical shoes. Everyone gets to pick how they feel and when.
JL is identical quality to Vass? I disagree? The entire shoe brand both JL London and JLParis are not identical in many ways compared to Lazlo’s work.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also not true. I have Vass not custom order with no markings on bottom. Again, one thing consistent about Vass is inconsistency.

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also not true. I have Vass not custom order with no markings on bottom. Again, one thing consistent about Vass is inconsistency.
Thank God all my F last fit me the same way. But then again my last vass purchased was last summer. Horror stories galore here!!

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally like Vass, and got quite a few pairs through both custom order, and in store visits in Budapest. It’s obviously a personal decision, but I had to give up on them though, their inconsistency was for me no longer acceptable.

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally like Vass, and got quite a few pairs through both custom order, and in store visits in Budapest. It’s obviously a personal decision, but I had to give up on them though, their inconsistency was for me no longer acceptable.
Im holding on to these and yes I do like them but not sure if I will be brave enough to purchase more in the future with all the negative noise here lately!
E728B90C-6F98-4129-B0B0-CC1BE3D46B93.jpeg
3EF8E13A-2072-4303-AA30-C375E7D97E1C.jpeg
1D1926CE-975F-4C15-8C99-0C6F17A3B514.jpeg

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im holding on to these and yes I do like them but not sure if I will be brave enough to purchase more in the future with all the negative noise here lately! View attachment 1433961 View attachment 1433962 View attachment 1433963
It’s just one of those things, I had heard of the “Vass Charm”, but had to experience it for myself. After that experience it was just too much “charm”, I decided to just enjoy the shoes I had gotten and move on. Others were luckier than me, if I had been one of those lucky folks, I would still be purchasing them.

SRV

Reaction score
One more data point.

I discovered Vass on SF few years back. I didn't want to go the MTO route without getting my size dialed right and didn't buy any till this April. The online sale on vass-shoes.com got me tempted and I dipped my toes in.

Here are my experiences with them.

First, on sizing and fit:
Tried P2, F and U lasts. With P2 and F lasts, I took TTS and on U last took half-size up (based on SF member recommendations). Out of the box, F and U lasted shoes fit very snug (compared to my C&J, Carmina, Alden shoes). After the initial break-in period of few weeks, they are now my best fitting and most comfortable shoes. P2 shoes were comfortable from Day 1. The fit on the hand lasted shoes was definitely different than all my previous GYW shoes and I like the Vass fit better.

Quality of the leather, finishing including the stitching was flawless on my pairs. All of them were first quality and do not seem to have been tried on before. The Whiskey Cordovan pairs in P2 last are my new favorite pair.

All my orders were shipped promptly within a week. Boxes, bags, trees and shoes were first quality with no visible imperfections. The price point with the online sale was what prompted me to try them. Appreciate that they thrown in the shoe-trees. IMO, at these online sale prices, they are a great value.

As always, YMMV.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One more data point.

I discovered Vass on SF few years back. I didn't want to go the MTO route without getting my size dialed right and didn't buy any till this April. The online sale on vass-shoes.com got me tempted and I dipped my toes in.

Tried P2, F and U lasts. With P2 and F lasts, I took TTS and on U last took half-size up (based on SF member recommendations). Out of the box, F and U lasted shoes fit very snug (compared to my C&J, Carmina, Alden shoes). After the initial break-in period of few weeks, they are now my best fitting and most comfortable shoes. P2 shoes were comfortable from Day 1. The fit on the hand lasted shoes was definitely different than all my previous GYW shoes and I like the Vass fit better.

Quality of the leather, finishing including the stitching was flawless on my pairs. All of them were first quality and do not seem to have been tried on before. The Whiskey Cordovan pairs in P2 last are my new favorite pair.

All my orders were shipped promptly within a week. Boxes, bags, trees and shoes were first quality with no visible imperfections. The price point with the online sale was what prompted me to try them. Appreciate that they thrown in the shoe-trees. IMO, at these online sale prices, they are a great value.

As always, YMMV.
Obviously it’s just my opinion, but I would say you’re the rule and I am the exception. No kidding, I have really bad luck sometimes with some makers, Vass is one of those. I can honestly say if I lived in Europe, I’d still be a Vass customer; it would be easy to just hop on a train and get what I wanted in person, folks in Europe are lucky.
The shoes they make are quite good in spite of the problems I experienced. They just were not worth the hassle, of trying to clear up said problems long distance.

sforum1

Reaction score
One more data point.

As always, YMMV.
Thank you

Berto1

Reaction score
32CD6B32-C207-4050-95D1-6BA9660030B2.jpeg

my own experience with VASS ( derby/oxford boots and Oxford shoes) is outstanding.

what really amazes me is how light the shoes / boots are.

however their customer care is simple atrocious. It’s usual they don’t respond your mails. At Mr Kuti time as Head of Marketing & Sales, it was a pleasure to deal with him. But now it’s just not acceptable

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads