• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jan Capek

Reaction score
Got four pairs in the past month, all regular F widths, one on the F last (black monks) for 380EUR, the rest on the P2 last (each 280EUR). The F last was a shot in the dark, and turned out to be a bit narrow for me, but hopefully some minor stretching will help. The P2 is my go-to last and always a safe bet. All pairs arrived flawlessly packaged (though I do not care so much for the packaging, really, incl. the dust bags), within three business days of ordering, and the P2s are as expected - a great fit with nothing to suggest these would be factory seconds or anything explaining the discount. I'm not questioning anyone else's (or was it anyone's else?) experience and I do appreciate other people sharing them, whatever they are. I'm just sharing mine.

Last edited:

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It makes to me. This is business. This is common sense. This is being able to focus on the essence, not the distractions.

Many people here would prefer to pay $2300 for a pair of JL that is identical quality to Vass. They see no issue with this. Fine. I am ok with that. But they have a problem and they are outraged when they got a pair of Vass for $300 and the box was not perfect. Why? Because 'it's a matter of principle', they say. They should have disclosed it. Much like JL did disclose that their shoes would cost $2300 up front.

What principle is that? The sucker's principle?
You need to put the crack pipe down for the day, and try again tomorrow....lol. :crackup:

sforum1

Reaction score
Got four pairs in the past month, all regular F widths, one on the F last (black monks) for 380EUR, the rest on the P2 last (each 280EUR). The F last was a shot in the dark, and turned out to be a bit narrow for me, but hopefully some minor stretching will help. The P2 is my go-to last and always a safe bet. All pairs arrived flawlessly packaged (though I do not care so much for the packaging, really, incl. the dust bags), within three business days of ordering, and the P2s are as expected - a great fit with nothing to suggest these would be factory seconds or anything justifying the discount. I'm not questioning anyone else's (or was it anyone's else?) experience and I do appreciate other people sharing them, whatever they are. I'm just sharing mine.

You are a smart guy. I would hire a guy like this in a millisecond. A guy like this who can see the big pic.

jayteee

Reaction score
None of what you said makes any sense.
I'm going to sell on eBay and recoup the money. I don't want the hassle of shipping to Central Europe and dealing with customs, English-to-Magyar mis-translations and receipts. This was two pairs in a row they sent me wrong size. Last shipment was UK 11, which WAS NOT the same as the 45 European I ordered. Assume it was Ascot Shoes' overstock. Unlike with my other 45s, the UK 11 allowed my heels to flip and flop from the back of the shoe.

jayteee

Reaction score
You are a smart guy. I would hire a guy like this in a millisecond. A guy like this who can see the big pic.
I don't care about the dust bag or box. You're right that that's just small potatoes. But the wrong size is disappointing. It's not about fit. I ordered 45 and they sent 45.5. Alas, the 45.5 causes foot to slip out of shoe at heel.

sforum1

Reaction score
I don't care about the dust bag or box. You're right that that's just small potatoes. But the wrong size is disappointing. It's not about fit. I ordered 45 and they sent 45.5. Alas, the 45.5 causes foot to slip out of shoe at heel.
Absolutely, I don't disagree with that. You don't have to wear a pair that fits like crap, if it does. I would never do that. My point is a little broader than this. When you do deals like that you have to have an open mind. In this case with shoes, you pay 50% off on a pair of shoes that is already a fraction of what other brands cost. You HAVE TO ASSUME that not everything will be perfect. If everything is perfect, and many times this will be the case, that's good. If not, you go in with a strategy and an open mind to win. First, screw the corners of the boxes and all the other b**it. That's for the idiots to worry. Then, if there is a small scratch here and there, does that matter? 10X that amount of scratches will be there anyways after the first wear. Why the f make a huge deal about this? Then, if it's the wrong size, it's a small chance (yes, small, why would they lie about the size deliberately, or if they thought it's immaterial maybe it is, give it a try), then maybe can I resell them and actually make a profit too? If not, then sure, you can go ahead and return them. But it's not a huge deal. Nothing happened.

And yes, I think they should pay for the shipping fee back to them too since it was their fault.

Last edited:

gte872h

Reaction score
It makes to me. This is business. This is common sense. This is being able to focus on the essence, not the distractions.

Many people here would prefer to pay $2300 for a pair of JL that is identical quality to Vass. They see no issue with this. Fine. I am ok with that. But they have a problem and they are outraged when they got a pair of Vass for $300 and the box was not perfect. Why? Because 'it's a matter of principle', they say. They should have disclosed it. Much like JL did disclose that their shoes would cost $2300 up front.

What principle is that? The sucker's principle? I feel I'm a sucker because I was sent an imperfect box but I feel absolutely marvelous inside after I was ripped off in broad daylight when I was charged $2300 for a pair of identical shoes. Everyone gets to pick how they feel and when.

I was thinking of not even responding because of all the other responses covering this. Stop talking about the box. He was sent the wrong size shoes. There are no excuses for the wrong size being sent. Price is irrelevant in this.

Do you work for Vass or something? Telling someone to just wear thicker socks is completely absurd.?

sforum1

Reaction score
I was thinking of not even responding because of all the other responses covering this. Stop talking about the box. He was sent the wrong size shoes. There are no excuses for the wrong size being sent. Price is irrelevant in this.

Do you work for Vass or something? Telling someone to just wear thicker socks is completely absurd.?
I covered everything that I had to say too.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I covered everything that I had to say too.
C1448CB7-183C-448D-9AD4-1B2B6F71ABF1.gif

jayteee

Reaction score
Absolutely, I don't disagree with that. You don't have to wear a pair that fits like crap, if it does. I would never do that. My point is a little broader than this. When you do deals like that you have to have an open mind. In this case with shoes, you pay 50% off on a pair of shoes that is already a fraction of what other brands cost. You HAVE TO ASSUME that not everything will be perfect. If everything is perfect, and many times this will be the case, that's good. If not, you go in with a strategy and an open mind to win. First, screw the corners of the boxes and all the other b**it. That's for the idiots to worry. Then, if there is a small scratch here and there, does that matter? 10X that amount of scratches will be there anyways after the first wear. Why the f make a huge deal about this? Then, if it's the wrong size, it's a small chance (yes, small, why would they lie about the size deliberately, or if they thought it's immaterial maybe it is, give it a try), then maybe can I resell them and actually make a profit too? If not, then sure, you can go ahead and return them. But it's not a huge deal. Nothing happened.

And yes, I think they should pay for the shipping fee back to them too since it was their fault.
It's simple: I clicked on "45" at my purchase. My receipt also says "45." The shoes that arrived have "45.5" written on the inside of the right shoe. And the bottoms say 45.5, too. There's no malice on Vass' part: They simply sent me the wrong size. Wearing two pairs of socks won't fix the inaccuracy. I'm sure eBay will work, but I actually wanted the shoes for personal use.

Jan Capek

Reaction score
It's simple: I clicked on "45" at my purchase. My receipt also says "45." The shoes that arrived have "45.5" written on the inside of the right shoe. And the bottoms say 45.5, too. There's no malice on Vass' part: They simply sent me the wrong size. Wearing two pairs of socks won't fix the inaccuracy. I'm sure eBay will work, but I actually wanted the shoes for personal use.
Vass typically marks half sizes with a dash. Out of curiousity, yours has 45.5 at the bottom?

jayteee

Reaction score
Vass typically marks half sizes with a dash. Out of curiousity, yours has 45.5 at the bottom?
No, it's the dash. That's why I didn't use "quotation marks" when discussing that. The "45.5" appears in ink on inside of right shoe, along with craftsman's name.

Attachments

• IMG_2374.jpg
    IMG_2374.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 85

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics