• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's unfortunate. Send them a bill for the many hours you spent trying to get them to fulfill their responsibility ?
LOL yeah. If anyone needs to waste their time. I can send them the email thread.

the_dude_

Reaction score
Interesting information about the not leather heels.
I bought mine Jan. 2020.
When I brush the heels with my finger it feels smooth, like the leather soles.
No idea if it is stacked leather. Maybe someone can guess?

Attachments

• 20200716_214432.jpg
    20200716_214432.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 105
  • 20200716_215242.jpg
    20200716_215242.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 139

ajd578

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought mine Jan. 2020.
I think by now you know my guess.

jayteee

Reaction score
I bought mine Jan. 2020.
The first quarter/third inch is leather. The heel base closest to shoe itself is pressed paper, just like Bedo revealed. I looked at my pairs under a jeweler's loupe and the heels are created by pressing together dozens of thin papery layers. It's not a big deal, even if it dings my snobbish pride about owning some of the world's "highest quality shoes." They're still excellent shoes with nice build quality. And besides, paper heels are all natural, made from the same noble oak trees as the tanning broth for JR soles!

vmss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always wondered why would Vass paint their heel bases with lacquer paint rather than transparent coating to enhance the beauty of the leather heel base and now I understand why because it was made of paper pressed MDF material.

Last edited:

vmss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am still somewhat surprised that Vass uses paperboard heel base while other makers in this price range like Carmina, TLB and CJ still use full leather heel base.

Last edited:

gte872h

Reaction score
I just checked my recent pair. The heel base is not leather. Well I suppose that will be my last pair of Vass shoes. Just disappointing. ?

sforum1

Reaction score
The first quarter/third inch is leather. The heel base closest to shoe itself is pressed paper, just like Bedo revealed. I looked at my pairs under a jeweler's loupe and the heels are created by pressing together dozens of thin papery layers. It's not a big deal, even if it dings my snobbish pride about owning some of the world's "highest quality shoes." They're still excellent shoes with nice build quality. And besides, paper heels are all natural, made from the same noble oak trees as the tanning broth for JR soles!

Are they? Just saying.

the_dude_

Reaction score
Thats unfortunate.
I wanted to replace my 2 pairs of cheap low shoes I started with, with 2 vass old english.
Now im not so sure.
Maybe we can ask if they can do stacked leather heels for a few bucks extra.

Guccinski L.V.

Reaction score
How much does it cost to replace 1cm of the heel material with a real leather at your local cobbler?

jayteee

Reaction score
I assume the use of paper is less about cost and more about speed. (No need to punch individual layers of leather). It's a small operation, and they are taking 50 percent more orders than they did a few years ago. That would also explain, per Bedo, why they used only three nails to hold the heel in place and why the hand stitching on the outsole can be crooked and asymmetrical (at least on my pairs).

And remember, they are technically telling the truth. The do "use" leather for their heels, but not for the whole heels!

Last edited:

ajd578

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the point is being missed. How likely is it that the heel stacks, which are visible and obvious (I suggested long ago that they were not leather, only to be 'corrected' or ignored), are the only corners being cut? Well we already know it's not the case; paper was also used in the waist of the shoes in the video. I expect it's the case also with the stiffeners. I wonder also about the hand welting technique. Is a feather cut in the insole to allow the uppers and welt to sit flush? The uncomfortable ridge around the insoles of my pair makes me wonder.

Also, I would be very surprised if this is new. My pair was made in 2019, and I'm confident those and all the pairs posted in the last few days have paper stacks.

That's not to say that Vass doesn't still make attractive, durable shoes. But it's not just a matter of the heel stack.

jayteee

Reaction score
I think the point is being missed. How likely is it that the heel stacks, which are visible and obvious (I suggested long ago that they were not leather, only to be 'corrected' or ignored), are the only corners being cut? Well we already know it's not the case; paper was also used in the waist of the shoes in the video. I expect it's the case also with the stiffeners. I wonder also about the hand welting technique. Is a feather cut in the insole to allow the uppers and welt to sit flush? The uncomfortable ridge around the insoles of my pair makes me wonder.

Also, I would be very surprised if this is new. My pair was made in 2019, and I'm confident those and all the pairs posted in the last few days have paper stacks.

That's not to say that Vass doesn't still make attractive, durable shoes. But it's not just a matter of the heel stack.
To be fair, Bedo noted the use of traditional cork foot beds, a steel shank and the nice construction of the handwelt. And the JR soles and the Ilcea leather uppers seem legit. Considering they have new pairs available for 220 euros as we speak --- most likely a COVID fire sale --- buying Vass still seems like a good bet. So far my pairs, bought earlier this year, have been amazingly comfortable with no break-in required. I hope they are durable. That remains to be seen.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads