• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ajd578

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a 4th pair of Vass. Looks and sounds like leather to me. But i do wonder if some of the new pairs recently have corners cut esp at these low prices.
View attachment 1424513
I mean I have no stake in your shoes and and I'm glad you have no complaints but none of those look like full leather stacks to me.

sforum1

Reaction score
I looked at an older pair I have and it's all leather. A newer one only the top, similar to the pics above. It feels like they are cutting corners wherever they can, given the lower prices they have been offering. But that makes sense. Every company is approaching things differently based on what they think will be best for business. Some (and we have seen tons of examples in this category over the years) are lowering the prices (which means also lowering the quality) so they can sell more and some (John Lobb) are increasing their prices and preventing retailers from shipping overseas thereby actively enforcing the price increases, a move that will clearly impact sales negatively but at the same time will increase profit margins.

Last edited:

WhyUEarly

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean I have no stake in your shoes and and I'm glad you have no complaints but none of those look like full leather stacks to me.
Oh no I'm not trying to be antagonistic. But can you show some examples of what you think full leather stacks look like? Just because the heel stack is different leather and smoother finished doesn't make me automatically think it's not leather. So just wanted to provide more photos for people to discuss

jayteee

Reaction score
Oh no I'm not trying to be antagonistic. But can you show some examples of what you think full leather stacks look like? Just because the heel stack is different leather and smoother finished doesn't make me automatically think it's not leather. So just wanted to provide more photos for people to discuss
It's granularity makes it look like a pressed pulp to me. Bedo tore these apart and already told us what they're made of. On the plus side, we still have hand stitched shoes stylishly made with quality uppers and top of the line outsoles!

TokenMao

Reaction score
Interesting, every time the HW vs. GYW quality argument restarts there is always the argument for the HW side that GYW is an inferior construction method predicated on cutting corners so of course GYW makers will cut corners in other places as well in the name of profit maximization thus HW is better... this seems to be clear evidence that HW makers will cut corners in places as well.

Anyway considering that I got my last pair of Vass for ~$300 directly from them I have nothing to complain about.

WhyUEarly

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's granularity makes it look like a pressed pulp to me. Bedo tore these apart and already told us what they're made of. On the plus side, we still have hand stitched shoes stylishly made with quality uppers and top of the line outsoles!
I think you're assuming every pair of Vass is the same, which based on years of Styleforum experience, is shockingly not always true.

Years ago, there was some controversy about a pair of Vass that possibly had some gemming which would make it GYW not handwelted...

jayteee

Reaction score
I think you're assuming every pair of Vass is the same, which based on years of Styleforum experience, is shockingly not always true.

Years ago, there was some controversy about a pair of Vass that possibly had some gemming which would make it GYW not handwelted...
Could be. In any case, if they're durable, I won't complain. Even glue infused pressed paper topped by leather should last a long time!

WhyUEarly

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Waiting from some responses from the shoemakers, but Jesper responded and thought the Vass had leather heel stacks.

To me, looks like leather stacks, and looks like the heels are built on the shoes with a combination of machine and hand rasped/sanded. Also how I’d picture them doing it. I could be wrong though.

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2020-07-15 12.45.07.jpeg
2020-07-15 12.45.18.jpeg

ajd578

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Waiting from some responses from the shoemakers, but Jesper responded and thought the Vass had leather heel stacks.
I think we all just need to send our shoes to Bedos to have the heels ripped off. It's the only way to be sure.

WhyUEarly

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we all just need to send our shoes to Bedos to have the heels ripped off. It's the only way to be sure.
Sounds crazy but honestly might be the case. People talk about pair to pair variation in Vass and unfortunately it just seems to be true. When I buy Vass, I'm probably expecting leather heel stacks, but the fact that at least one pair has paperboard makes me lose confidence in that fact.

WhyUEarly

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK DFWII chimed in, and he says it's not clear from the photo that ajd578 posted, but at least this pair looks like real leather heel stacks. So back where we started, most likely leather heel stacks, but YMMV...

Black pair are leather.

On the brown pair the finish of the heel is so opaque (like a paint) that it's not really possible to tell from a photo.

FWIW, when looking at the breast of the heel on commercially made heel stacks, the layer next to the outsole has often been 'cut' through--so that the layer appears to disappear over the waist. Sometimes, depending on the heel height two layers may be cut through.
IMG_20200715_124921.jpg

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was stupid and I ordered these right when Vass was changing their website. Since their website was down, I thought they did not have one and that the only way to order Vass shoes was through a middleman more or less like Enzo.

P.S. This was before I started seriously using styleforum to help prevent noob moves like this one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics